Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a pig(let)

Options
13»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ok so my buddy traps pigs on the side. He gave me one that was 130 lbs and I cooked it whole for fathers day but on a customer indirect grill

Yesterday he shot one that was about 25lbs alive. It is at processor now gettings cleaned and I plan to cook it whole on my LBGE next Sunday.

Currently my Egg is stock. So at minimum what do I need to buy? Can I just buy some firebricks and another grate and cook that way?
    Once I start cooking I will post pictures.

I assume on e grill setup I get to temp, about 225, and let sit and check every few hours for temp?
    You have a platesetter to do indirect cooking?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Ok so my buddy traps pigs on the side. He gave me one that was 130 lbs and I cooked it whole for fathers day but on a customer indirect grill

Yesterday he shot one that was about 25lbs alive. It is at processor now gettings cleaned and I plan to cook it whole on my LBGE next Sunday.

Currently my Egg is stock. So at minimum what do I need to buy? Can I just buy some firebricks and another grate and cook that way?
    Once I start cooking I will post pictures.

I assume on e grill setup I get to temp, about 225, and let sit and check every few hours for temp?
    You have a platesetter to do indirect cooking?

I don't yet. I've only had my egg a few months. I only own what came with it.

If a plate setter is needed/best for this I can buy one.

Mostly I grill burgers, chicken breast/wings, and vegetables.

But I have access to pigs this size year round plus come deer season I'll be grilling deer .

So I want to do this pig, and hopefully more in future. And I want to do it right.
    Boom
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    FanOfFanboys, if you have a supply of small pigs, you should consider making porchetta. Once you get the hang of removing the bones, the rest is easy.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Billy,
    That looks great.

I wish one of y'all were local ha. Have you come over and show me some of this stuff in exchange for food ha
    Boom
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would get a platesetter and do it indirect. It's just easier. I know @Fishlessman does all his butts direct and they look awesome so you may want to check with him if you want to go that route. I think it would be easier to do it indirect, but that's just my opinion. Lot of ways to cook a pig out there.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    When I cooked indirect at 250 I found the skin unedible (rubber) but the meat unbelievable.  i would actually do something like a spatchcock pig if i did it again.  direct at 300 and i think the skin would be great 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    When I cooked indirect at 250 I found the skin unedible (rubber) but the meat unbelievable.  i would actually do something like a spatchcock pig if i did it again.  direct at 300 and i think the skin would be great 

Raised direct?
    Boom
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Ya, I would and leave the pig out for two days in the fridge uncovered prior to doing it.  If it doesn't fit I would cut the legs and head off.   
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you cut the head off, make sure to cook it separately. The cheeks are the best bite on the whole pig