Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Having my first BGE delivered tomorrow! NEW TO ALL OF IT...

arcym
arcym Posts: 1
edited June 2012 in Sides
I'm so excited!  I"ve been on the forum since sunday when I bough my egg and sooo overwhelming.  So much information.  I still go back and forth wether I should still go with the XL.   I usually do batch cooking once a week (the crockpot was my friend for a while but kinda gross now) and I think the reason I feel the XL is the right size is: 1.  I want enough grill space to make whatever roast/butt/ribs and grilled side veggies and stuff 2. I would hate to regret not having enough space, and stack cooking is more than I can imagine. (Yes, I read some people buy one large and a small).  Any reason, the XL would be a bad idea. 

Ahhhhhh. Pointers.... Oh and I'm completely new to grilling, smoking, all of it but I love eating.  My last experience was family charcoal grilling doused in lighter fluid. 

Thanks everyone! 

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    The XL can not be a bad idea. I have a large and usually wish I had some more real estate. More room always better.
    Besides here Check out http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

Lots of good info there on cooking on one of these.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

Go big ro go home.   You will not regret an XL. 

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    XL without a doubt.  Next year you will want a small in addition to the XL.  Dont fight the urge do it.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I've had my large since Feb and there is a 2nd Egg in my future. I've even got the wife on board that we need a small or mini.
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    I have large and love it don't want an extra large but a small would be nice to be able to have sides at one temp and meat at another
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    New to grilling? No worries, your new egg and the kind folks of this forum will be all the help and inspiration you'll ever need. Welcome aboard!
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Brownie said it best. This forum is awesome and have great people that will help you with anything. We all started somewhere. Just remember one thing! Grill safe. The egg will get so hot and being new to it all can get you in trouble fast. When I started on the egg I couldn't believe how hot the fire was coming off the coals. What an experience your going to have.
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    By the way I have a Xl and I'm glad to have spent the extra money. Can't see anyone kicking themselves for it.
  • cann
    cann Posts: 7
    I have a large egg, but if I were a male and larger than 100 lbs. myself, I would definitely have the xtra lg.  My son-in-law whose 6' 2" has a large and wishes now for the xtra lg.  Go for it! 
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215

Some times you will read about buyers remorse when someone states that they wished they had more room and had bought the XL instead.  However I have yet to read about someone who bought the XL and regretted having too much room.  Some may buy another smaller one for whatever reason, but you still don't hear regrets over buying the XL.

Living Large and XL

• The XL can not be a bad idea. I have a large and usually wish I had some more real estate. More room always better.
    Besides here Check out http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

Lots of good info there on cooking on one of these.
    +1 with Taz. I would go XL if I had to do it all over. Love my large though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Some times you will read about buyers remorse when someone states that they wished they had more room and had bought the XL instead.  However I have yet to read about someone who bought the XL and regretted having too much room.  Some may buy another smaller one for whatever reason, but you still don't hear regrets over buying the XL.

Very well stated. I've never heard one person say "I just have too much cooking space".
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53

Some times you will read about buyers remorse when someone states that they wished they had more room and had bought the XL instead.  However I have yet to read about someone who bought the XL and regretted having too much room.  Some may buy another smaller one for whatever reason, but you still don't hear regrets over buying the XL.

Roger That!!!
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited June 2012

I cook for 2 during the work week, and larger crowds on weekends. I had an large and a small, but I upgraded to an XL (and kept the small).  The large/small combo was good, but the XL/small is perfect. 

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I have a medium and I WISH everyday for an XL. I love my medium but you can NEVER go wrong with getting the XL as long as you have the money to spend. Would hate for you to get a LG and then 6 months later regret not getting a XL. I was saving for a LG and a used medium fell into my lap for a hell of a good price. Couldn't pass it up but still dream of that biggun!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    XL, XL, all the way!  I'm picking up a mini or small to go with it tomorrow. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

I love my XL and would never buy smaller unless it was for a second egg to allow me to use something smaller when I am making a small meal for just me and my wife.    A medium or large in on next summers wish list.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    I have a large and love. That being said, I've talked the wife in getting me get another couple eggs. I believe I'm going with an Xl and for sure a mini.
  • Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    If there's one thing I've learned in the 10 years I've had a BGE, it's that you need to let the lump "cook" for a while before putting on the food. 

You light it, let it overshoot your target temperature by 100-150° with vents wide open, then immediately narrow the vents to bring the temp down to where you need it to be (350° as often as not). Then hold it at that temperature for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the fire to continue to spread and the Egg to warm though. At that stage you can put on the food.

As the meat gets to the degree of doneness you want, choke down the vents a bit to damp the fire. This helps prevent overshoot.

Remember not to obsess too much (I did!); the BGE is very forgiving, and you will get more comfortable after a few weeks.

Final tip, buy one of these. 

Good luck & congratulations
    --
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359

Almost related - I got a Kamado K7 and it was too big. Firing it up took too much fuel, too long to heat soak and so on that I was less likely to do it (I did light it for garlic bread once though!).

As a result of some issues I arranged a smaller Kamado (K3) but ended up with a medium egg after the "too big" experience.

If I were starting out again I'd get a large (then maybe a small....).

That said my medium is still my best barbecue ever!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Not getting an XL can be expensive.  I bought a Large, and a month later bought an XL, intending to sell the Large.  Still have both, and cook on both almost every day.

LOL, looks like I might have an opportunity to get a Medium from a family member.  Most nights a Medium would work for the meat cook, so I'll have three in the flock.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• arcym
    arcym Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone!  So I fired up the egg yesterday and kept looking for the smoke to clear which it did.  But still have more questions, so I'll start another thread.  So far, it was so easy to start the egg, unfortunately, they forgot to pack my starting stick "things" so I used two paper towels with olive oil suggestion I found on the forum and it was no problem! Yai!  

• As a dealer, I sell more Large eggs than any other size but I personally have an XL.  No complaints here.  I plan to bring home a medium egg for the "delicate" items.  Welcome to the gang!

XL Egg.....Large Egg.....Every accessory stored in Gladiator Garageworks cabinets.  OH, Im a Egg Dealer!

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    XL for me, so glad I got it, spent ages on here debating L and XL, went with my gut and I was right, I regularly use all of the grill space, if I consider another egg in the future, I don't know if I'd buy a L or another XL, most probably an XL ;)
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160

If you can afford it always get the biggest egg you can!!

I usually cook for myself so my Small is normally ok, but a lot of times I cook for a group and never have enough space so I have cook the sides or so on the gas grill...

Enjoy your XL!

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I love my large and it seems big enough, but I've only had it 9 days and about 6 cooks.

Tim
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    edited July 2012
    As a dealer, I sell more Large eggs than any other size but I personally have an XL.  No complaints here.  I plan to bring home a medium egg for the "delicate" items.  Welcome to the gang!
    Gaston, are in Gaston Co. NC?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Does anyone use one these?  Curious about peoples experience with it.
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/lumpring.html
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.