Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye recipe wanted

Options
Eller
Eller Posts: 56
edited June 2012 in Beef
I am looking for a recipe to make some ribeye steaks that my wife will eat. She likes the taste of Ruth's Chris. I would like some advice from the forum on your favorite recipes. Please include youe favorite seasonings, egg temperature, selection of favorite smoke flavors and time for the cook. Thanks much!

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited June 2012
    Options
    EVOO and Montreal rub.  Lowered grid, dome temp 500.  Toss it on for 5 minutes, flip and give it a couple of minutes.  Rest wrapped in foil.

Smoke does not particularly work for fast and hot cooks, but I have been known to throw mesquite in.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eller
    Options

Doc, thanks for the fast reply. I appreciate the help. I will try your recipe. What type of lump coal do you use. Thanks.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Royal Oak.

I am an apprentice.  Stand by for some Masters chiming in.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I am looking for a recipe to make some ribeye steaks that my wife will eat. She likes the taste of Ruth's Chris. I would like some advice from the forum on your favorite recipes. Please include youe favorite seasonings, egg temperature, selection of favorite smoke flavors and time for the cook. Thanks much!
    Well, If you want it to taste like Ruth's Chris, those are done in an oven. I can show you how to do that but if you want to use the egg there are several options for you out there as well. You want to use your egg, or make it taste like ruth's chris?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eller
    Options
    I want to use the egg
  • beaudreaux
    beaudreaux Posts: 23
    Options
    Simpler is better for me, I prefer to season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Crank the coals up hot, sear well on each side about 2 minutes, let sit on the grill until you reach a med rare let rest and serve
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Simpler is better for me, I prefer to season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Crank the coals up hot, sear well on each side about 2 minutes, let sit on the grill until you reach a med rare let rest and serve
    I buy good steak and I do it simple too. Salt and pepper. You can look up TRex method which is a fave around here. It's where you sear with a lowered grid right down by the coals then pull them and bring the egg temp down to 400 or so then roast them to finish. it's a great way to do them
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I really had trouble with steaks when first getting the egg. I started using the T-Rex method and it is great. If you have a grid that will sit on the small exposed ridge of the fire box you can sear right above he coals without having to get to lava temps thus eliminating the need to cool it down, which isn't all that easy. Depending on what flavor I'm looking for I'll throw a little red oak or Jack Danials chips on a few mins before the roast.

George
    George
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Start with the very best ribeye cut you can find and add S&P.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    go prime or aged choice cut,
    sear,
    season kosher salt and cracked pepper
    roast up in dome till internal temp says done to your liking,
    rest 15 minutes
    drizzle ghee (butter) drizzle right before serving on hot plate (ci fajita plate)

it will probably take you several runs at this to get it down......couple things to speed up the learning curve,
    - keep consistent on your meat cut, grade and thickness will speed up your process.
    - build the same fire and tweak.  all new lump, some old with new, 
    - sear at the same grid height from lump
    - roast in the dome at the same height.

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Totally agree on choice or prime.  I recently ordered 8 one inch thick rib eyes for an evening with guests.  All the butcher had was select.  Little or no marbeling. Tested one on the day before having guests.  Tasteless and chewy.  Fed guests something else.  Lesson learned. 
  • WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    Options
    cen-tex:  it may be off topic (non-BGE), but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the oven cooked steak like Ruth's Chris.  I am all about learning new ways to cook steak!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    Options
    it may be an oven, but the infrared element is what cooks it.  fwiw, your lump gets hotter than their infrared element does, and it cooks with radiant heat (meaning: it cooks the same way. ).

i don't know about their rubs or seasoning, but their nice even cross-section (even done-ness) is what hot-tubbing, Trex and Xert methods are all about.  and it also goes back to the standard 'leave it out til it gets room temp' rule.  at morton's, you'll see the steaks stacked and out for a good long while.  couple hours.

the other thing is that they dry age, so the beef flavor is intensified a bit by being condensed (less water in the meat), and by the extra flavors that aging itself (not the drying) imparts.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante