Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
GaryLange
GaryLange Posts: 418
edited June 2012 in Pork
I am going to do ribs for July 4th and am wondering what the preferred choice is for the egghead crowd. Baby Backs or St. Louis? I would also like to know why you prefer the one you choose over the other?

Comments

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    I always buy whole slabs of spares and then trim them St. Louis style myself. I prefer the meatier spare rib. In fact I've had my egg for about 6 years and I've only cooked baby backs one time. They were perfect and I always tell myself I'm going to do them next cook but end up with spares every time.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    St. Louis.  You get more meat.  If you get them as whole spares and trim them yourself they are cheaper per pound too.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    St. Louis.  You get more meat.  If you get them as whole spares and trim them yourself they are cheaper per pound too.

I do the same and they are cheaper. However, you are also removing 15% or so when you trim it so the cost is closer than it appears. If you are not comfortable trimming them down, just buy St. Lou's and enjoy the cook. it's not that hard but can be intimidating for first timers. Go for it you want to but buy me cut if you don't.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

I'm with BamaEgg-St. Louis trimmed spares-meatier.  But for the OP-this is one of those topics where there are a few right answers-you should try St. Louis and BB's and then draw your own conclusions.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I have eaten a bunch of Baby Backs I am just wondering what other think and how they see the two. I have also had the St. Louis.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    I've done both and I prefer the BB's
  • texbagger
    Options
    Call me a rookie.  I just put the whole dam rack in.  I got 4 COSTCO rib slabs in the foam pack, membrane was already pulled. Prep is only mustard and lots of "The Salt Lick garlic rub".  I hate to admit, I didn't even rinse these things. That rub adds some pico (heat) but being a south Texan, I like the heat as am used to it apparently.  My 2 brothers who live up north whine and moan every time I smoke meat.  I get tired of hearing "it's too hot".  LOL.  Guys and gals, I have learned so much from lurking in here I'm not even sure I need to post.  Lot of gurus in here whom I respect for their experience and knowledge. 

I will not foil this time.  I just like the bark too much.  Last time I foiled for the last hour with apple juice in the foil and they just softened up everything with the steam.