Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best of the West (Mexico)

Options
crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I bought some Best of the West from Kroger today.  Does it matter that it is a product of Mexico?  I assume lump is lump but with cancer in the family I wonder about what I eat.

Thanks!

__________ Chris

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I don't know that product, but having lived in Houston all my life, probably 80% of what I eat is hecho en Mexico.  It's good.  Don't worry about it.  Just don't drink el aqua.

I'd be more concerned if it said "Made in China"

Grácias,

Felípe Don Carlos Hernandez

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    Well if it claims to be 100% hardwood then I would not worry about it.

You just hope that it does not have treated wood products in it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I've never heard of a single brand of lump charcoal that has been shown to contain treated wood products.  I wouldn't worry about the country of origin as far as "safety" goes.  The only concerns I would have is whether or not you like the smoke it produces, the amount of fines and sparking, the length of burn, the ash produced.  Hey!  That sounds like a lump review!  :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've been using it for years and have still never found a single rock in a bag. Nothing but mesquite so you should be fine.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I found a rock last bag of it I used, but a small rock, no biggie.
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm like Cen-Tex...that is all I've used for almost a year now...sparks some when I light it with my torch...I've had 1 or 2 shirts get a hole from flying embers during ignition but I've been quite pleased with it...bought a couple of bags of Royal Oak from WW the other day...just haven't used it yet...not many options for me in SE Missouri.
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Jonny, I know SEMO well.  I am from Kennett, now live in Texas.
    __________ Chris
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Options
    Just picked up 40lb from Sam's club for $14, will be giving it a try soon enough 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Yeah, it might not be the absolute best lump, but at 40 lbs for $14 I have no issues with it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah, it might not be the absolute best lump, but at 40 lbs for $14 I have no issues with it.

Same.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Its ok Not great and not poop. It has very big pieces in the bag.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I don't know that product, but having lived in Houston all my life, probably 80% of what I eat is hecho en Mexico.  I

Going a bit OT, but VI, you know Friendswood?  I lived there for a while.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    @crmilt....I'm in Cape Girardeau area...just drove down to Sikeston this morning....I maybe driving to Texas in a few weeks....if I do....i'm gonna see about picking up some Wicked Good or other types of lump that you guys have down there to try them out....I bought 40 lb bags from Sams last year but this year they only have 20 lb bags...the price is still right though...I enjoy the flavor I get from it....we love grilled onions with it, steaks and brisket have always been great as well. I do want to try some of the others that you guys speak highly of.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I don't know that product, but having lived in Houston all my life, probably 80% of what I eat is hecho en Mexico.  I

Going a bit OT, but VI, you know Friendswood?  I lived there for a while.

Sure !  Friendswood is south of Houston.  Nice mix of a small town atmosphere, but readily accessible to the Gorilla.  Also, closer to Clear Lake and Galveston.  I like Friendswood.  The last time I was there was the night they brought in the sick from NO after Katrina.  My wife was doing triage at Ellington AFB in a hanger after the C-130s landed and I was pushing the stretchers around.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious