Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonkatsu

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tonkatsu is a fried pork cutlet and is one of the most popular dishes in Japan.  It is served with a Tonkatsu sauce, consisting of soy sauce, ketchup, worchestershire sauce and sugar.  We had it for lunch today.  I'll have it again.

First, tenderize the pork (I used deboned pork chops) and salt and pepper.

Next, dredge the pork through flour, then eggs, then fresh panko.  Add 1 tablespoon oil for each egg so the panko will stick to the meat while frying.

Ready for frying

Fry until golden brown.

Pour Tonkatsu sauce over the sliced Tonsatsu.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That looks great. Frying on the Egg makes me nervous. Probably because I have a short attention span.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Village Idiot
    That looks great. Frying on the Egg makes me nervous. Probably because I have a short attention span.
    Putty,  Me too.  Notice how low the oil is to the top.  The depth of the oil was probably 3/4 in.  I will not do deep fry on the Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Great meal.  The pan is a great way to fry on BGE 'cause you get a greater surface area with very little depth, whereas the wok is good also but not as safe.
     Deep frying is great on my Tao as the outer edge of the wok is outside the perimeter of the stand and less likely to catch fire if a spill were to occur.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Looks great Gary. Kinda like Weiner Schnitzel with an Asian flare. I think that frying on the egg is the second safest if you can close the dome over the pot. Safest being an induction cooktop

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot

Looks great Gary. Kinda like Weiner Schnitzel with an Asian flare. I think that frying on the egg is the second safest if you can close the dome over the pot. Safest being an induction cooktop

lol.  Thanks Steve.  My wife and I were just talking about something similar when we were eating the Tonkatsu.  Chicken Fried Steak is big in Texas and it's thought that the Germans and Austrians who came to Texas in the 1860s invented it, trying to duplicate Wiener schnitzels. Of course, cream gravy put it way over the top IMO.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Toronto's signature dish is a breaded veal scallopine in a light marinara. Same idea really. Served with sauteed hot Italian peppers (banana).

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    I bet every culture has it's own version.  I've made Scaloppine al Marsala that I got the recipe from the Time-Life Series "The Cooking of Italy".  Magnificent !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    VI,What make of CI?
    LET'S EAT
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Open flame, boiling hot oil, and a guy who calls himself the Village Idiot.  What could go wrong?

VI, I'd like to know where you came by your knowledge of Japanese cooking.  Do you do the breakfasts and lunches in the little boxes with a half dozen different items?  What do you consider your most impressive Japanese cook?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Village Idiot
    edited June 2012
    @Flamethrower.  It's a Lodge, 12" diameter.  I've had it for a long time, but it's not an OLD one like grandma had.

@Doc.  When I was first married, there was a restaurant near us in Houston called Tokyo Gardens.  We used to go there a lot.  Then, when we went to Japan for a vacation (my wife was a stewardess so we got to travel a lot) in the '70s, we stayed at a Ryoken that taught us a lot about Japanese food.  I really didn't do much with it until I got my Egg and the ability to do real stir fry cooking.  Now, I just look for recipes on the Internet of dishes I've had or others that are linked on the sites.
    No, I don't do Bentos.  
    :)

I think my most impressive Japanese cook is Sukiyaki.  That was the first real Japanese meal I ever had, and I guess that's why it's my favorite.  Picture

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Ever do gyoza on the egg? Your CI would be just right.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Village Idiot
    edited June 2012
    Ever do gyoza on the egg? Your CI would be just right.
    Yes, Eggo.  I do Yaki Gyoza.  Shrimp is my favorite.  I did a lot of trial and error getting a good dipping sauce down.  Finally, I paid $8 at our favorite Asian Fusion cafe for a pint of their dipping sauce, and I reverse engineered it to my liking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Darn Gary that looks great!  Thanks for posting the recipes.  The sauce looks very interesting.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    Darn Gary that looks great!  Thanks for posting the recipes.  The sauce looks very interesting.  
    Thanks, Joan.  It's a very easy cook and doesn't take long to fix.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Looks great Gary. Kinda like Weiner Schnitzel with an Asian flare. I think that frying on the egg is the second safest if you can close the dome over the pot. Safest being an induction cooktop

lol.  Thanks Steve.  My wife and I were just talking about something similar when we were eating the Tonkatsu.  Chicken Fried Steak is big in Texas and it's thought that the Germans and Austrians who came to Texas in the 1860s invented it, trying to duplicate Wiener schnitzels. Of course, cream gravy put it way over the top IMO.  
    Hey Gary- Try this in the sous vide. Our first cook was med rare chicken fried ribeyes.  It was awesome! Just SV the meat to where you want it and dust it and pan sear with a little oil (you can use way less oil since you are only heating the batter (the meat is done). really fun and people get weirded out when they cut into it and it's pink throughout!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    VI, 

The pork dish looks amazing! Once again, well done! I can't wait to make this. 

@Cen-Tex, great idea with the sv method. No reason that won't work with pork, veal, or chicken as you're pre-cooking the meat and just pan searing the batter.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Village Idiot
    Hey, sounds good CT.  I'm just breaking the surface of SV.  Doing my first chicken breast tomorrow.  I'll cook it to 140, but since I'll hold that temp for several hours, it'll be completely safe.  Then, sear it.

I really like your idea.  
    =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• VI, 

@Cen-Tex, great idea with the sv method. No reason that won't work with pork, veal, or chicken as you're pre-cooking the meat and just pan searing the batter.
    Correct. It works on anything and it's so tender and juicy in the middle that it blows peoples minds

• VI, 

Correct. It works on anything and it's so tender and juicy in the middle that it blows peoples minds

Pan fried SV chicken breast just hit the list for this week

I'll keep you posted

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Wow, that looks excellent!
  • Hey, sounds good CT.  I'm just breaking the surface of SV.  Doing my first chicken breast tomorrow.  I'll cook it to 140, but since I'll hold that temp for several hours, it'll be completely safe.  Then, sear it.

I really like your idea.  
    =D>
    Just ate a few SV chicken breasts today. They never cease to amaze. I do mine at 146 cuz that's what my little SV sheet tells me to. Interested to see how they do at 140

• BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    On my favorites list of Japanese food. 1st Katsudon, 2nd yaki gyoza and yours looks great.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Yaki gyoza was a favorite when my trip took me to Japan. Your picture makes me want to go back. 
    Eggo in N. MS