Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is my gasket ruined

Options
braddil
braddil Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Im a new BGE xl owner. I did 3 cooks where I kept the temp to between 350-400. Then I did a pizza and got the temp up to a max of 550-600. When I was done, I noticed my gasket looked fried. I did some steaks a couple days later and got the temp up to around 700 pretty easy, so I don't think the seal is bad. I'm just worried that it might get worse. Is this normal? Is it something I should worry about and try to replace? I went to the dealer that I bought it from and looked at their demo model and the gasket looked to be in perfect shape - very unlike mine. Any advice???

Comments

• braddil
    Options
    Oops, I meant to post pictures. I'll try again. Sorry.
  • braddil
    Options
    Here are the pictures.  Thanks for any knowledge/advice on this!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's fine......for now. No worries, it will go soon enough but for now it's good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Congratulations, you're officially a member
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Congratulations, you're officially a member

Yep
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    The gasket on both my Eggs have been totally fried for a long time.  Doesn't make any difference except more smoke leaks out.  I have done smokes for almost 20 hours just fine.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• braddil
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks a lot! I've learned a ton already from reading through this forum. I'm doing Monterey Chicken for the family tomorrow. I'm having a lot of fun cooking on this thing. I kinda messed up some simple burgers on my sencond cook. I put the meat on way too soon (while there was still white smoke coming out) and they had a pretty unique flavor. My daughter really disliked them. I've been trying to convince her that it was me - not the Big Green Egg. We had steaks the other day turned out great! Thanks again everybody!
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Options
    For info, I emailed BGE about my gasket, which looks similar to yours. They got back to me and mailed one of within a few days. I have it here ready to go for when mine does end up going.. Might be worth getting one on stand by
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Wow mine looks 10 x worse and no Smoke leaks out better get my spare going.
    Lynnwood WA
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Looks normal to me. Just darkened by use. Mine started to come apart when it got burned.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Gasketless is the way to go!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Not even close to fried. Wait till it turns to a bubbly black mess dripping down the outside.

You might want to check the dome seating near the rear. It looks a little more browned there. The gasket on a well seated dome will brown, then blacken around the edges. It will slowly burn away from the inside. One of mine has the inner 1/4" burnt away, the the outer edge is still a little grey.