Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table problems from biggreeneggtables.com

Comments

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    What are ya'll paying Brian for these tables?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Mine was a custom set up so the cost does not relate to his standard tables.
  • nigel25
    nigel25 Posts: 13
    Here's an update for everyone.  I received an e-mail from Brian this morning:

Hello,
    I'm very sorry for my poor communication.
    We have been completely overwhelmed and are trying desperately to get
    caught up. This is a slow on going process. I was not ready for the
    demand. I take complete responsibility for the situation. We have had a
    few supplier issues as well as some health issues on my part. These are
    in no way excuses for my poor communication. My actions have damaged my
    reputation and have ruined vacations and family outings for my
    customers. We are working to get product ready and shipped. I don't have
    an ETA at this time but should have one shortly. If you do not want to
    wait, please request your refund via paypal and it will be taken care
    of. If you want the table, you will receive your table. If you have
    already made a claim through paypal, and would still like the table,
    please let me know and we will work that out. Please excuse the "canned"
    nature of this email. I have a mountain to work through. Once again,
    I'm very sorry for the trouble and aggravation this situation has caused
    you and your family. Thanks.

I hate this.  This was a lose-lose situation for everyone;  People didn't get their tables and his business was hurt.  I will be looking elsewhere for a table at this time.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    you got that right, but it is still the seller's responsibility to communicate any delays.  Normally 99% of customers would understand and wait as long as they know what the deal is.  Easy to say without having my money in it, but most people do the right thing............

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    problem comes with a one-man shop, but an automated ordering system. better to take the calls personally and advise people of delays, rather than have people clicking and ordering and putting down cash at a rate that cant be handled.  nothing screws up a good thing like too much success a little too early
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nigel25
    I offered to keep my order under the contingency that it be delivered to me by June 29th and I will not pay until I receive the table.  This gives him 4 weeks to deliver.

Fair enough?
  • stike
    he'll tell you whether it is fair enough for him, and you'll decide if it;'s fair enough for you.
    fair enough for me.

i'd just build a damn table myself.  stuff's not rocket surgery

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    he'll tell you whether it is fair enough for him, and you'll decide if it;'s fair enough for you.
    fair enough for me.

i'd just build a damn table myself.  stuff's not rocket surgery

how much would you have to charge for a table at the rates you charge
    :)) from the prices ive seen this guy isnt making enough and the demand is probably telling him that right now, whats left for the builder after he deducts materials and shipping and packaging and all the other costs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    my day rate is higher than many, lower than a few.

it's not high enough to make me able to retire, but it's high enough that i barely have to work. hahaha
    exaggeration.

but yeah, if you ENJOY making stuff like that, bu all means.  but it might be cheaper to have someone do it, even if a custom piece, if you have no desire or skill in that area.

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Had a local guy build mine. $110 cypress material and labor. I sealed it myself.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • OB1
    OB1 Posts: 7
    I also ordered a table from Brain and it has not
    been shipped yet, did get an e-mail from him today that said;

" I'm having some issues at the moment that we are working out. I hope to get it shipped in the next week or so. I can't apologize enough. Thanks. Brian:

Beginning to spectacle if I have been taken for $750.00
    bucks, might have to get in touch with pay Pal to see what options I might
    have.<?<br />
  • Smoker_Guru
    Wow, I've been waiting 3 months for my table and have not received an email explaining anything. I am a patient man and I have told Brian that in an email that a little communication goes a long way. No communication shuts me right down.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I actually empathize with the craftsman. This isn't Walmart or somewhere with the tables in boxes waiting to ship. I had to wait a while on a boardsmith board after the Christmas rush buried him. It was frustrating, but when I received my final product it was worth the wait. If he is putting out quality product sometimes it takes time. I would be more interested in hearing if those that have a table from him appreciated the quality of the product. I have custom kitchen knives I have waited a year on. If the reputation and quality are there it is worth the wait and unfortunate he is being bashed.
  • ccpoulin1
    Revenge is never the answer, but good communication is.  I hope it is all resolved to the satisfaction of everyone so we can concentrate on what this forum is all about!  Creating good food and sharing recipes and experiences!  If i was to have one word of advice to everyone, let cooler heads prevail, and talk to each other......

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'm empathetic to both sides...I just hated when "scammed" was used based off assumptions.

In this thread, one person said he was likely overwhelmed and another said health reasons could be the issue. As he said, it's no excuse but stuff like this could have happened to any of us. If he wasn't a mom and pop, I'd have a different stance.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I echo the sentiments that Brian is a small businessman who make a good product but is overwhelmed with demand.  I ordered a table from Brian in mid-March.  I received a defective table in late April.  I took a picture and sent it to Brian the day it arrived.  He called me back immediately.  He indicated that he is selling far more tables than he anticipated and that mistakes can happen given the number of helpers he has hired. He offered to replace the table free of charge.  Despite his commitment to send a new table asap, I still have yet to receive a table.  I can always dispute the charge, but after talking with him, I truly believe I will get the table eventually.  I just wish his turn around times were better. (note: I just tried to call him but his VM is full).
  • ccpoulin1
    too bad, as your reputation in business and life is everything.....always underpromise and overdeliver.  it will never do you wrong.  Either way, if there were health issues or anything else, shooting your customers an e-mail or better yet calling them heads off almost all of the problems.  I hope the craftsman is ok, and i hope his customers get what they paid for.  I would be willing to bet based on his previous reputation, there is no fraud or malice involved, but his customers need  the truth up front.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    The guy took more orders than he should have, sent out at least one defective table, didn't respond to his customers for weeks after taking their money and this thread has turned into him being the victim somehow. What am I missing here?
    As a small business owner I can tell you that the reasons he did all of these things are irrelevant. I wish him all the best but to act like there is anything more to it than bad business is a joke.
    I need a table but I can assure you this guy won't have the opportunity to "warp any boards" for me.
    Good business practices should be rewarded, bad business should not be.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Ricky B
    Ricky B Posts: 28
    I purchased a table from Brian in early to mid Sept 2010 and recieved it in late Oct 2010.  Workmanship was excellent and the table has been  outdoors ever since being delivered.  Brian kept me informed  on the status and I even had him make some personal custom changes to my preferences.  I had no problems with Brian and would order another table from him again (in the fall at the end of bbq season).
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I don't think Brian's a victim by any means. He's human....we all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

He encouraged at least one person to dispute if they were unsatisfied or he'd still fulfill the order if they were interested.

In the end, if you don't want a table from him any more, don't get it. Do what I did and support a local wood nut if you're also not manly enough to build a table.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nigel25
    The guy took more orders than he should have, sent out at least one defective table, didn't respond to his customers for weeks after taking their money and this thread has turned into him being the victim somehow. What am I missing here?
    As a small business owner I can tell you that the reasons he did all of these things are irrelevant. I wish him all the best but to act like there is anything more to it than bad business is a joke.
    I need a table but I can assure you this guy won't have the opportunity to "warp any boards" for me.
    Good business practices should be rewarded, bad business should not be.
    Thank you, I was beginning to think I was the crazy one.  I don't see how this got turned around on the buyers.  

Tweev_tip:  Send him the link.  I would be more than happy for him to see this thread.  He should see every comment made.
  • stike
    anyone that contracts for work needs to get his work done in the period contracted for.

and that's a liberal bleeding heart democrat saying that.

i don't sign up for work unless i can get it done.
    and i always get it done.

anyone here ever missed a deadline?

not me.

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I am not excusing the craftsman. I wouldn't answer the phone all day. You wouldn't get anything done. Yes. He sounds overwhelmed. That being said he should answer emails. I understand the customer perspective too. Some form of communication goes a long way in not feeling scammed as a customer.
  • nigel25
    edited June 2012
    I think people are considering brian as a business. If the dude has a business license and business checking account then he should be accountable for his business. If hes just a regular guy who does this on the side, people should give him a break.
    If he is a regular dood.. I smell a bunch of needy titty babies
    Oh, I should have checked to see if he had a business license and business checking account.  That's what I did wrong!  Thanks for clearing that up.
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Internet strikes again. There is an assumption that if the business has a website, then it must be a polished operation. I would be pissed if I gave someone $750 bones for anything and then got the treatment Nigel and Guru got. Taking my money is making a commitment to me. In the end though it is not personal, it is business. I would probably ask for my money back, and as long as I got it back in a more timely fashion than he delivers tables, I would be satisfied and move on. Nice of the craftsman to apologize, but I think it was to little, to late.
  • OB1
    OB1 Posts: 7

Well after reading all the post on this forum I e-mailed Brian and explained all the negativity that was being said about and he did respond to my e-mail.
    “I will get your table to you. My piss poor communication has caused this **** storm. I have worked very hard to build my business to what it is. I want you to have my table. It's the best out there and I believe you will agree. Please allow me to fulfill this order. Thanks.”
    Brian
    So after receiving his e-mail I am going to wait patiently for the table to arrive. I know that he does build great tables with great pride and workmanship. I will post pictures when it arrives.

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    What does it really matter? We're all just gonna die anyways.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Smoker_Guru

Well after reading all the post on this forum I e-mailed Brian and explained all the negativity that was being said about and he did respond to my e-mail.
    “I will get your table to you. My piss poor communication has caused this **** storm. I have worked very hard to build my business to what it is. I want you to have my table. It's the best out there and I believe you will agree. Please allow me to fulfill this order. Thanks.”
    Brian
    So after receiving his e-mail I am going to wait patiently for the table to arrive. I know that he does build great tables with great pride and workmanship. I will post pictures when it arrives.

Wow, you got an answer. How long did it take him to answer? He has not answered my last 3 emails the 1st one being over a week ago. I've been waiting 3 months for my table.
  • tdeater
    tdeater Posts: 38

Theft by deception! He should do jail time for stealing your money! If there is a problem, then he should contact you in a timely manner. Call the IRS and send them to hammer him for tax fraud. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    You know, why don't you folks try using this payment service instead? Takes Paypal.

http://www.escrow.com

Might solve a lot of problems and let this guy build his reputation back.