Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table problems from biggreeneggtables.com

nigel25
nigel25 Posts: 13
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Hi everyone!  I'm a new egg owner and new to the egg community so I spent a lot of time
looking around at my different table options.  I thought about building
my own, but I found a really great one online that I really liked from Brian Crisler and his website biggreeneggtables.com

I ordered my table on 4/11 and sent Brian an e-mail afterwards asking
how long they usually take to build.  He responded the next day and told
me they usually build and ship them out in 15 business days.  Not bad,
15 business days means I would receive my table in early May!  Well, May
14th gets here and no word from Brian, so I e-mail him to ask him what
the status of my table order was, still hoping to at least get it by
Memorial Day.  He responds a few days later saying that they are running
behind, he's had supplier issues, and that he anticipated my table
shipping within the next few days.  He also said he'd keep me posted. 
Today is two weeks since he anticipated my table shipping.  I have tried
calling (voicemail full) and e-mailing repeatedly with no response.  I
like to give people the benefit of the doubt - something could have
happened in his personal life, a death, family trouble, etc.  This is
getting ridiculous though.  I feel like I have been more than patient. 
There has been absolutely no communication in two weeks.  If he would
just contact me and explain what is going on I would still be
disappointed with how long it's taken, but I would understand.  Total
time since I ordered is about to be 7 weeks.

I'm hoping someone out there knows him or knows what's going on.  I
think I saw his brother posts some on here?  I've seen a few other
people on here who have received beautiful tables from Brian, but I
sadly can not recommend him at all.  I know he's not a big company or
anything, but there's no excuse for not responding to e-mails or
updating your customers on why they haven't received their product.

I really don't think he just took my money, but if he did I will
just stop payment on my credit card.  Sorry for the rant, but I'm just
tired of my egg sitting on the ground for months now.

Comments

• OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Those tables are pretty pricy for a fairly basic table.  you you could probably pay a lumber yard to make the cuts you need and assemble it yourself or just find a local carpenter/handyman to build it.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    That makes two posts this morning in regards to a big delay with Brian. Something must be going on...not sure but hopefully this gets resolved ASAP for y'all.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Are you paying for these tables in advance? If he is holding your money and not delivering the product (as it sounds by reading your post) that sounds like a serious problem. If you haven't paid, it is just disappointing but I would cut my loses and hire someone local as OMG suggested. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nigel25
    Yes, I paid the full amount on 4/11.

I paid with a credit card, so I can get 100% of my money back, but I've invested so much time in him that I am holding on to some hope that someone out there knows what's going on.  I will be calling my credit card company at the end of the week if I don't hear anything from him.

I'll probably just build my own table at this point.
  • Hi54putty
    I try not reward poor business practices. Hope all works out.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Sounds like he's extremely overwhelmed and had some supplier issues.  Hope things work out and clear up in the near future.  He has made some beautiful tables and would have a steady stream of business from this site alone.
    He's probably over-run with emails and is just trying to get the tables finished.  I don't know him or have I ordered from him, but as I've seen in different circumstances, things happen.  It may not be perfect business practice, but a little patience, understanding and communication cures all.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

the key is communication.

calling me and telling me there is no update and the table hasnt been built yet is better than no call at all.  that is customer service 101.

obviously giving 100% down is never a wise decision either.

hopefully all turns out.  Definitely be prepared to do a chargeback to his business if the trend of no return phone calls continue.  I probably wouldnt wait at this point to do that.  Sounds like you have been patient enough.

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Sounds like a shady business.

I would email him and cancel your order and get your money back!!! I feel bad for the guy if he is truly behind or whatever but if you need to get orders out go to Home Depot or something and buy some wood and finish these tables... 

• bariccardi
    bariccardi Posts: 53
    Get your money back and move on.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Tim delivered my stainless on time and it is wonderful---pictures in a few days
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Nigel, I am having the same issues you are. I was alos told it would only take 2 to 3 weeks for delivery. That was on Feb 24th when I ordered my table and have still do not have it.
  • Hi54putty
    It may not be perfect business practice, but a little patience, understanding and communication cures all.
    This statement is absolutely false, especially in a situation like this.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nigel25
    YEMTrey: I want to hit you for telling me to be more patient and to communicate.  Can you send me some money for a few months?  I promise I'll communicate.

Smoker_Guru: Ahhh yes, I read your post and I feel for you my friend.  I hope you paid with something that can be reversed.  I know paypal gives you 45 days to open a case and we are both well past that.  I'm not sure what happens after that 45 days.  I'm going to find out soon though. 

To Brian Crisler if you're out there:  I'm done with you.  The only excuse at this point I would take is that you were that guy in Miami that got his face eaten by that zombie guy, or if you were the zombie.  But I don't think zombies make BGE tables.  Well, you don't make BGE tables either do you?   
  • Smoker_Guru
    YEMTrey: I want to hit you for telling me to be more patient and to communicate.  Can you send me some money for a few months?  I promise I'll communicate.

Smoker_Guru: Ahhh yes, I read your post and I feel for you my friend.  I hope you paid with something that can be reversed.  I know paypal gives you 45 days to open a case and we are both well past that.  I'm not sure what happens after that 45 days.  I'm going to find out soon though. 

To Brian Crisler if you're out there:  I'm done with you.  The only excuse at this point I would take is that you were that guy in Miami that got his face eaten by that zombie guy, or if you were the zombie.  But I don't think zombies make BGE tables.  Well, you don't make BGE tables either do you?   
    nigel25, after seenng your post I immediately filled a dispute claim against him on both Paypal and my Visa card. Not sure what will happen. I wonder how many other people he has scammed.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    theres no way anyones making those and delivering them finished/assembled in 15 days at the start of the bbq season with a pile of orders. looks more like he got a few tables out early in the year and then got overwhelmed with orders. i guess im more patient than most, ive ordered custom built fly reels before and waited close to 2 years for deliverey
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nigel25
    Good for you smoker.  I hope his paypal account gets locked so no one else can order from him and not receive their table.

fishless:  You are very patient man.  The key difference though is that the people you order from will still talk to you after you give them your money.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    and i'm betting fishless knew that the demand and reputation of the maker meant a two-year back order.  maybe not, but i'm guessing it did
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited May 2012
    One would think if he was backordered he would post it on his website. This way customers from the get go would expect longer than 2 weeks. I could see not wanting to say a table might take 3 months since there are other table companies out there.

While I have not ordered a table I have talked to ChoiceofGA and they make custom tables - I think free shipping also. They sell their tables on ebay and via email. Search ebay for BGE tables sold by choiceofga, and they have a few tables for sale. I am under the impression they customize too. Like I said I talk to them on twitter and they have posted a few pictures in the past. Check @choiceofGA if you have twitter.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

Like I stated earlier, I'm not defending this guy and his business.  But there is a possibility we don't know the entire situation.  Is it possible he's laid up in a hospital right now?  Or had a family emergency and had to leave the state for awhile?
    Yes, put a stop payment on your table and take your business elsewhere, no problem. I would do the same.

I hope you get your money back quickly and get a table built to enjoy before the season gets too far along.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878

well, if he was going to send you some money, I'm sure he's not now if you want to hit him...
  • fishlessman
    Good for you smoker.  I hope his paypal account gets locked so no one else can order from him and not receive their table.

fishless:  You are very patient man.  The key difference though is that the people you order from will still talk to you after you give them your money.
    yep they talk, for 2 years they say maybe the end of the month
    :Di love those reels
    fukahwee maine

• nigel25
    edited May 2012
    It is indeed possible.  That scenario keeps coming back to me that something is really wrong because he just completely stopped communication.  I think that's why I waited as long as I did to cancel my payment.  There's only a handful of scenarios I can imagine where he wouldn't be able to tell someone to contact his customers:
    -he's dead
    -went on a camping trip, mauled by bear, surviving off the land until help arrives
    -hit by a car and in a coma 
    -turned into a zombie (like I mentioned above)
    -got hit in the head really hard and has amnesia, can't figure out why he has a strange desire to build tables

Seriously though, If something is wrong I really do feel bad for him. 

Let's face it- something catastrophic probably didn't happen though.

• cazzy
    edited May 2012

@Smoker_Guru I wouldn't use the word scammed.  It's likely that he's backed up but I doubt Brian is trying to pull one over on you.  He's done a few tables around these parts and everyone has spoken very highly of him.  Prior to my table build, i worked with him but decided going elsewhere as his design was too common for me.  He was very easy to work with and provided great communication. 

Do I think it's right that or fair to you that you're still waiting and haven't been given a full explanation?  Hell no.  Use the system that's in place and get your money back.  As s have said, we don't know what's going on with him that might prevent him from completing yall's order.

• fishlessman
    and i'm betting fishless knew that the demand and reputation of the maker meant a two-year back order.  maybe not, but i'm guessing it did
    had no idea with the first reel
    :))his competition at the time i heard was worse, you had to take him to lunch, pay 100 percent up front, and maybe a year later he would decide you didnt deserve a reel and would send your money back. i gotta get into the custom reel making business
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    had no idea with the first reel
    :))his competition at the time i heard was worse, you had to take him to lunch, pay 100 percent up front, and maybe a year later he would decide you didnt deserve a reel and would send your money back. i gotta get into the custom reel making business

I think I need to know what fly reel you're talking about. Until recently, I've always been a Ross fan. Still like my existing reels, but not as big a fan of the new reels...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • fishlessman
    i fish trout with a ted godfrey multiplier. walnut side plates, big  drum brake drag system. i think he just makes multipliers in the big salmon sizes now

this was on my 3 wt midge rod

heres the salmon sized one with a disgusting ontario king

more bge related, heres a custom lawn ranger grid lifter handle on my walding staff

fukahwee maine

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Has anyone called the phone number on his website?  The owner of Real Montana Charcoal had a horrific accident and was in the hospital for 2 months unable to communicate with customers who had paid for orders, so it does happen.
    The Naked Whiz
  • cazzy
    Has anyone called the phone number on his website?  The owner of Real Montana Charcoal had a horrific accident and was in the hospital for 2 months unable to communicate with customers who had paid for orders, so it does happen.

I've tried twice today.  No answer and then to voicemail, which is full.

I agree.  We have no idea what's going on in his world, which is why I dont think peeps should think he's up to no good.

• nigel25
    It's easier to give him the benefit of the doubt when you're not the one with money involved.  You think bad things when it's your money.

I called my credit card company a few hours ago and they canceled payment and credited my account the purchase price.  So I'm good. 

I think I'm done talking about this for now.  Bottom line is: I hope everyone gets their money back or their table in a timely manner and most importantly I hope he's alright.
  • Smoker_Guru
    edited May 2012

I've tried twice today.  No answer and then to voicemail, which is full.

I agree.  We have no idea what's going on in his world, which is why I dont think peeps should think he's up to no good.

I have called when you could still leave a message and sent emails. About once everyother week he would respond to one of my emails saying that the drawer slides were on back order and due in next Wednesday. Been getting the same story for 2 months...

We all know there are many places you can get drawer slides... Sorry but I feel scammed!!!