Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calibrating dome Thermometer

Saintrs
Saintrs Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in Forum Feedback
I recently messed up a pork butt and instead of juicy and tender, it was dry and hard. Not very good. The internal temp was 200 degrees in 5:30, so I thought my digital thermometer was broken. I knew that you are suppose to cook a butt for 1:30 to 2:00 per pound, so I let the butt sit for another 7 hours. Needless to say, not a good butt. The only conclusion I could come up with was the dome thermometer was off. Therefore, I calibrated it to boiling water and sure enough, the dome thermometer was 150 degrees off. My questions are: 1. Why would this happen? 2. My thermometer needle now starts between 100 and 200, see below pic. Is this ok?

Comments

• Saintrs
    Pic Has complications, so no pic.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Question #1-If you didn't wrap the needle around on itself during a pizza cook or hi temp clean I have no idea how it could get that far off since the last time you checked it.   #2-As long as you dialed it in for the boiling water temp then don't worry about what it reads at ambient. 

FWIW-I check my dome calibration before any low&slow-it's the one indication that will control the cook so I like to know it's all good.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Saintrs
    Thanks. I am new at this so any feedback helps.
  • A pit master once told me to always run a separate surface temp gauge where the food is. Been practicing that for a few years now and much more reliable. :)>-