Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide lamb loin steaks.....why not

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So on my flight from SFO to ATX yesterday I was riding with this lady who turns out to be a corporate chef for an organic/free range/overpriced lamb farm. She said she was going to a new whole foods in Austin to do a 3 day demo of lamb. Well, I just had a new whole foods open 5 min from my house and well, you get the idea. We got into a discussion on how to cook and the egg and my SV etc. So i'm headed up today to get some lamb. She said she would just give me some lamb because she wanted to see how it did in the sv (both of us were in the sauce pretty good by this point so we'll see how that shakes out with glaring lights of sobriety shining upon us). she is buying one to travel with because it's perfect to hold things at temp for her to quickly finish in a skillet on site. I was very pleased to have cost this stranger $500 in mere minutes. The forum would have been proud.

Anyhow- not a huge lamb guy and these are steaks. Any good flavor profile suggestions would be appreciated. I know rosemary and lamb are good so we'll try some of that. Probably some demi or red wine reduction. Any other thoughts?

Might invite her to dinner. She's all alone here over the weekend and seems lonely so what could go wrong?......wait......what's that honey?.......oh, never mind, she will not be coming to dinner.

Off to get some lamb.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    any pics?  of her that is?
  • any pics?  of her that is?
    Let's just say that NorCal girls don't stack up to SoCal girls. Little "earthy".
  • XLBalco
    sounds like a WI Cornfed
  • Aright. TFJ found a winner- we are going to season with lemon, oregano, mint, thyme, garlic, salt/pepper. SV to rare and sear to finish on egg.

Will be served sliced on warm naan with tomato, red onion, feta, and homemade tatziki.

Keep you posted.
  • sounds like a WI Cornfed
    10-4 on that. Confirmed.
  • Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Well if it's one thing I like is a drunk of their word. She had a cryo pack of 4 loin steaks for me when I got there. She was doing a tasting and this lamb is unreal. By far the best I've ever tasted. Salt, pepper and a skillet. Can't wait to try this stuff out.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Better to be lucky than good-sounds like it's gonna be another $300 event :)>- But with your flamethrowin' thermapen-all good. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I dont have it yet! No need tonight though since I'm doing SV.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here are a few pics of the lamb, the aromatics, all bagged up and one in the bath.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Sounds like lamb gyros. Like the mint with my lamb. Great story. Sounds like good times.
  • Yeah, we are kind of going for an upscale gyro styles thing. I'm fired up about it.

She's a good sport. I told her i would gladly buy it from the butcher but she insisted. What's a guy to do?

Well, the lamb was amazing. The recipe was really good but the lamb was just great. We made burgers for the kids (see the post earlier about the Dizzy Pig Redeye rub) and even as the kids destroyed their burgers, they kept grabbing bites of the lamb. My 13 year old told me it was the best steak he has ever had. it was really good and I owe a big thanks to Anna from Atkins Ranch for the SWAG (free lamb and a sweet ass apron). The apron was actually to smuggle the lamb out of the store and not intended as a gift. I thought a brief explanation of the process to a store mgr. would have been OK but Anna was worried that I would be accused of shop lifting. All was good and we escaped with no difficulty. Anyway, good times and great lamb. If you can buy lamb at Whole Foods, I highly recommend it.

Cen tex out.

• XLBalco
    that looks...........................................  AWESOME
  • Newportlocal
    any pics?  of her that is?
    Let's just say that NorCal girls don't stack up to SoCal girls. Little "earthy".

Glad I live in SoCal :D Nice post you are killing me with this great food. Can't wait to get my sous vide. Still debating water oven vs circulator. Getting a vacmaster 215 for the sealer.

Here is a pic of all the ingredients (lemme know if you want recipes)

Lamb with lemon zest, thyme, oregeno, salt, pepper
    Tatziki Sauce (yogurt, cucumber, mint, lemon)
    Tomato Feta Salad (tomato, feta, balsamic reduction)
    Caramelized Red Onion
    Pita bread (store bought at whole foods)

• Newportlocal
    Can figure those out from your list. What temp was your water bath set at? Did you sear on the egg or pan braise.Thanks. Once again looks good!
  • 120 water bath. Seared on egg with grate lowered to lump bed.

Pan sear would have been better in this cook. It was really fun though.
  • Newportlocal
    120 water bath. Seared on egg with grate lowered to lump bed.

Pan sear would have been better in this cook. It was really fun though.
    Thanks will definitely try this when I get the equipment. Hopefully soon!