Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low cook temp.for Butt

Options
Rob123
Rob123 Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in Pork
My question is this,after starting your fire and reaching 600 or 700 degrees,how the hell are we supposed to get the cook temp down to 215 or 225 for pork butt.I had both top and bottom vents barely open and the lowest temp I could get was 280 300.If the vents are closed to go lower wont the fire go out?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Why are you getting it that high to begin with??!! Light the lump, leave lid open until it catches, close the dome, set the vents to 250, go inside and prep while temp stabilizes and VOCs burn off lump
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Why are you getting it that high to begin with??!! Light the lump, leave lid open until it catches, close the dome, set the vents to 250, go inside and prep while temp stabilizes and VOCs burn off lump
    Yep.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Rob123
    Options
    I had a feeling that was the case,I thought i needed a full inferno to last  the 10 hr.cooking time.Thanks
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I had a feeling that was the case,I thought i needed a full inferno to last  the 10 hr.cooking time.Thanks
    Given adequate lump, air flow determines the size of the fire and thus the temperature-at low&slow temps you have a very small quantity of lump burning at any one time.  That's how the BGE can easily run 24 hours + on one load of lump without operator interference.  Don't know the size of your butt cook-but at the nominal 250-275*F temp expect around 2 hrs/#.  Your 10 hour estimate may be short of the mark-FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Rob123
    Options
    Is that your temp that you cook pork butt 250 275? So the intention is not to ignite the full load of charcoal for the long cook but  let the egg use a little at a time over the 12 or so hrs?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Somewhere around 250-275 is the norm for low and slow. I let all my lump get going for 20-30 min with the dome open then shut it and let it come up to temp. There are as many ways to do your fires on here as there are members so you are just going to have to try a few and choose one you like.
  • Rob123
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back .Cant believe the learning curve on this wicked cooking machine
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back .Cant believe the learning curve on this wicked cooking machine
    You'll be fine. I joined this forum 7 years after I bought my egg. In hindsight, I would say that was a bit tardy :).