Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well There Goes My Gasket

Stoater
Stoater Posts: 292
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Haven't even had the egg for a week, that's it I am returning it! I can't everything I eat is delicious.

Comments

• Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    Lol - I got a demo model that had been used for a little under three days, and the gasket was fried.......
    But I got a nomex gasket for free, and it was very easy to replace.

I really don't get it - why do they keep putting on that stupid gasket....
  • Stoater
    Yeah you think with the amount of complaints they would do soothing about it.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Contact customer service. My gasket fried and they replaced it free of charge with a Nomex gasket.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    A dealer told me they haven't upgraded because if they fixed the gaskets, then they can't sell you the upgrade. I give him points for candor, but it still pisses me off. 
  • well, they are giving the upgrade to anyone who asks so that does not make a whole lot of sense.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    Gaskets have a 1 year warranty now, starting March 1st, 2012. Personally, I think your dealer is talking out his ass.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I think they have a lot of gasket out there that they want to use up. That, and the egg looks better with grey rather than white. Really, I do not know -- just blowing smoke.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • ricktanner
    ricktanner Posts: 24
    DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE GASKETS ON YOUR EGG?
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I just got off the phone with BGE customer support. I bought my egg 3 weeks ago, and told them I burned the gasket up. He told me that sometimes uneducated people cook too high and not properly blah blah blah... I told him that I had not cooked over 650 wich is true as I only have had the egg at that temp to quickly sear steaks. He said ok no problem, I am sending you a nomex gasket. Have a nice day. It was simple and fast.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I sent BGE CS an e-mail about my burned gasket. They replied, and asked for pics. Haven't sent pics but did remove the old gasket today after a burn off. Came off easy while hot. Guess, without pics, I'm out of luck getting a replacement.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    give them a call-worst you can do...I'm confident that once you can get to a real person you can get the Nomex. And gratis...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • eggo
    I'll give them a call, thanks.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I don't understand big business sometimes. 

My stock gasket included along with I will say 100% of everyone else has had their gasket fry. Now unless they figure it is still cheaper to send out free ones for the ones who complain and not enough people overall ask for a new one for free is why they still must ship with the cheap crap gasket. 

But you still think it would be a better selling point if they ship with the good gasket from day 1. Anyone doing any amount of research online will see that and would look a lot better if they would just ship with it. Kind of disappointing
  • Stoater
    Well, I contacted BGE Canada 2 days ago and left a message, never heard anything back, emailed the deler and never heard anything back, so today tried BGE Canada again and actually spoke to someone, told her what happened she laughed and said did you follow the instructions, nothing like making your customers feel stupid, I said yes, she informed me that they don't deal directly with the public and I should contact the dealer who will fill out a warranty card with my invoice number and then replace it.  So I have re-emailed my dealer and patiently wait for his reply. 
  • hogsfan
    well, they are giving the upgrade to anyone who asks so that does not make a whole lot of sense.

Not anyone. 30 day limit. Otherwise I wouldn't care.
  • well, they are giving the upgrade to anyone who asks so that does not make a whole lot of sense.

Not anyone. 30 day limit. Otherwise I wouldn't care.
    a ha. makes a bit of difference.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hogsfan
    edited May 2012
    Gaskets have a 1 year warranty now, starting March 1st, 2012. Personally, I think your dealer is talking out his ass.

I didn't know that but it doesn't really help me considering I bought the egg in Feb. Regarding the dealer, perhaps he was talking out his butt, but it doesn't change the fact that my gasket is terrible and I feel like I have to baby it to avoiding buying a new one...and then when it goes I'll have to spend time and money learning how to and installing the good gasket myself. BGE could make this issue go away tomorrow so if they are willing to give away free "good ones" when they fail, then they obviously acknowledge the issue exists.  Why don't they just save all of us the trouble and put the good one's on at the factory? The answer is that somewhere along the way, they get money by not upgrading the EOM gasket. Either by savings a few nickles up front or selling people the upgrade later... 

It should not be this way for a premium cooker. 
  • michigan_jason
    edited May 2012

This is the email I sent to BRUCE at BGE customer support:

Jason Bernal

May 15 (1 day ago)

to bruce

Please advise as to what type of gasket you will be replacing for my XL BGE. I know what I am doing, and wonder why BGE puts these garbage gaskets on a $1200 grill. Makes no sense to me or any of the other eggsperienced cookers that use this grill. I will accept a Nomex gasket only.
    --

Thank you,

Jason Bernal

Laptops Unlimited MI

Here is a reply directly from BRUCE at BGE:

Hello Jason,

I am sorry that you have had this trouble with your gasket. I will be sending you out a high heat (Nomex) gasket. Once installed you should have no further problems. Please email me your address and I will send it out today.

Once again I apologize for the trouble and frustration.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bruce Bohannon

Customer Relations

770.938.9394 .108 

800.793.2292 .108

770.938.9149   fax

3417 Lawrenceville Highway

Atlanta, GA  30084  USA

B.Bohannon@BigGreenEgg.com

facebook.com/biggreenegg

www.BigGreenEgg.com

The Ultimate Cooking Experience™

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason

Notice that he didnt even ask how long I have had the grill. He also told me that the gasket was a topic at a recent meeting regarding how they would handle replacements going forward. He told me that the gasket has a one year warranty now and they are very understanding and typically will replace them without a problem. I  called and emailed and from the phone call to another person, I have one coming, and from the email I have another one coming. I got 2 without a problem.

Good luck

Jason

• hogsfan
    That's good to know, Jason. Does that include adhesive and instructions?
  • Ive only had my large for about a month and fried my gasket. I called customer service and the rep. asked me to describe conditions when it fried. I did a high-temp cleanout at 700 degrees for about an hour and he said oh no you don't EVER have to clean the egg(which i think is b.s.). He was very nice but said it was user error and that it was my fault not the gaskets. He then said they would love to help and sent me a new nomex gasket the very next day. It has instructions but he said i had to but my own glue(super 77?) I think.

BTW....gasket is still on my counter because i have had absolutely no issues using the egg with no gasket.

But green egg customer service is excellent IMO

• eggo
    I agree totally.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • BYS1981
    Hogsfan, I had purchased mine 2/23/12 and had no issues with getting a replacement. I *TOTALLY* agree the gasket is ridiculous, porsche doesnt install $2 mufflers on their car, why does BGE do it with their gaskets? Ridiculous.

The replacement gasket had a gasket with instructions, no adhesive.

If I were Bruce I am not sure I would want gaskets replaced, gasket emails are probably a fairly large part of his day, lol I kid.
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    My dealer gave me the other gasket at the day of the sale! He knew what I didn't know right out of the gate. Great sales rep.
  • michigan_jason
    That's good to know, Jason. Does that include adhesive and instructions?

They told me I would need to purchase a certain type of adhesive, he emailed instructions that I have if you PM me I will send to you.

• BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    I have 2 large BGE and had a gasket issue with my new one but none with the old one.  My boys have a puppy that was a little hungry and chewed on two of the wheels to my nest on the new egg.  He doesn't do that anymore.  However, I emailed Bruce and he agreed to replace both my wheels, and gasket if I paid the freight.  This is more than I expected and I will continue to recommend the Big Green Egg to all of my friends.  I know I have influenced several people already.  Big Green Egg customer service is probably the best I have seen in all of the products I own. My next purchase will be another Egg to compliment the others.
  • I sent an email to support Tuesday to let them know I have only had my egg about a month and the gasket was fried.  I got a response back with an attachment explaining the proper way to use the egg and what temps are acceptable.  The document says temps over 700 are not necessary, well I have not been over 650 and still fried it.  Documents says to only use platesetter legs up which I have.  Just kind of irks me the way they communicate about the gasket issue.  He requested I send images along with my address for replacement.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Up until recently they included the nomex and cement with the new eggs

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I have been babying this thing since I got I a few days ago. BGE said. It to cook over 300 etc for the first few so I have been running lump just to break or in. I'm doing everything they want and then some. Come this weekend, it's on! This XL will be running all weekend. Gasket better be up to it or they will be replacing it. Plain and simple.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Break in all you want...it will still fail. Might as well just cook what and how you want from the beginning.