Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Trim or not to Trim, that is the question!

magyar
magyar Posts: 19
edited May 2012 in Pork
When I buy spare ribs there  is usually a lot of extra fat and meat on them which I trim off and grind up for another use  I  then pull off the skin on the bone side and end with, I guess, St. Louis style spare ribs. Do I really need to do all this? You can tell I'm a relative newbee. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I always "convert" spares to St Louis style so can't help that way.  One of the reasons I do it is because I'm cooking ribs and at some point in the process (either on the front end or back end) the trimmings will get in the way.  Not sure how the cook would go with the flap meat on the ribs.  You could do one trimmed and one not, run a taste test and let us know your results. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    ive always peeled the membrane but have not always cut them down to stlous style, i do cut that section off when serving the ribs and put the rest in the fridge, i like that section better served cold for a breakfast snack
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I trim mine. I find that skirt or skirt meat on the bone side of the ribs cooks differently than the ribs. Also, the ribs tips, containing a lot of cartilage and part of the sternum also cook at a different rate. I usaully just season like the rest of the ribs, throw them on the Egg and eat them earlier. We call those cook's treats.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Good call Grif. The flap does cook much faster than the rib meat. I trim it and eat it off the egg after an hour or 2. I don't always convert to st. Lou....maybe 50/50 spares to st Lou.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 19
    Thanks, guys.  I think I'll continue to trim. Might throw that flap on the egg and have a snack while I'm waiting for the ribs to cook. Also, think I'm going to try the 50/50 conversion. Let you know how they come out.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    I always take the trimmings off the egg after about 2 hours or so and chop them up and add them to my smoked beans side dish.

Living Large and XL