Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy here coming from Weber. (Looking Large and XL)

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2012
    Ragtop is right. And so is Phoenix. Any time you ask what is the best_______? On this forum, the answer is $300. :)).
    In the spirit of cooperation, we'll agree to split the $300.  Who will be sending it to us? 
    B-)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Ragtop is right. And so is Phoenix. Any time you ask what is the best_______? On this forum, the answer is $300. :)).
    LOL

XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Sgt93
    If I can wait, "IF" being the key word, looks like the Eggfest in Peoria IL on June 2nd at Hearth's patios could bring a discount on an XL.  I would love to commit for the event but don't know if I can.  The deal on the XL may be worth it alone.  Looks like $989 + tax and get a free bag charcoal, ash tool, grill gripper, fire starters and plate setter.  I sent them an email.  I would really like to have it by next weekend since it is an extended weekend. I sent them an email so we will see.  
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
     =))

I have to agree with CTS's other comment, I have a large, wish I had an XL.
    Last night putting 4 corn, and 4 potatoes on, I wish I had more spave so I could have started my steaks for reverse TRex, or roasting my snack almonds.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Sgt93
    I received my first quote and it also includes a $100 of meat in the price and it's assembled, egg mates, nest, ash, plate setter, charcoal, starter for $1300 out the door. It's also in stock!
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Get the Xl without a doubt.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Love my XL, but would love to add a large or medium. Wouldn't part with the XL though.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sgt93
    Bought the XL picking it up after work :)
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Congrats, Sgt93! Bring a friend to help lift it ... those boogers are heavy!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Sgt93
    Congrats, Sgt93! Bring a friend to help lift it ... those boogers are heavy!
    Thanks, they said they will fork lift it in. I will snap some phone pics LOL. I have an F250 with a Bedrug so I hope that works.
  • Ragtop is right. And so is Phoenix. Any time you ask what is the best_______? On this forum, the answer is $300. :)).
    Truer words have never been spoken
    seems to be the sweet spot for this crew.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Your Ford should carry the weight, but if you need me to bring my Chevy to be sure, I'll help you out! ;)-
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sgt93
    Your Ford should carry the weight, but if you need me to bring my Chevy to be sure, I'll help you out! ;)-
    LMAO. Over 1200 lbs of Tq and well over 500 HP should do the trick.I will let you know though....

• Sgt93
    One more..
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493

Ya want to put your truck in the back of my truck with your egg?

LET'S EAT
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Getting it loaded is easy its the offloading! That being said an offer of a rib dinner for whoever came and helped me get mine out was well received!
    Lynnwood WA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @sgt: Either your bed is very deep, or they are pulling the wool over your eyes, and didn't put the egg back there!    

FWIW, unloading my large minivan was a breeze.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Sgt93
    Just got back with it. WOW this thing is big! You just don't have any idea until you see it in person.  Pictures do not do it justice.  The cooking surface is excellent.  It's the exterior that gives you the wow factor.  The XL makes the Large look tiny.  Dave's Supermarket in Fairsbury IL used a forklift to get this sucker in the back of the truck.  I must say that Justin at Dave's took great care of me. I am real happy with my buying experience. The meat thrown into the deal sweetened it even more :) My problem, I will probably not get a chance to use her until the end of the week.  I'm knee deep in paperwork and need to get to it! Thanks everyone for recommending the XL. I am happy with my choice. My little wife assisted me in getting it out of the truck.  No easy feat, but we made it happen. :)
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    And let the toy buying begin =))
    LET'S EAT
  • And let the toy buying begin =))
    Yep. It's on now.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Derek9511
    Derek9511 Posts: 6
    Hello everyone my name is Derek and I am also new to the BGE and in the same place Steve is on trying decide which to get the L or the XL. I wanted the XL but the dealer here in Savannah GA said he has too much trouble controlling the heat on low settings with the XL and recommended I get the L. I was convinced until I read this post. Is this not an issue (heata control)? 99% of the time I am only cooking for me and the wife and her father that lives with us but I hate being constrained on not having enough room. Is the X" too big for just doing 3 or 4 chicken breast during the week or does that really matter? When I opened this listing I said whatever Cen-Tex says is the answer but I was expecting him to say go for the Large. I really appreciate how everyone gives feedback good or bad.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
     I wanted the XL but the dealer here in Savannah GA said he has too much trouble controlling the heat on low settings with the XL and recommended I get the L.
    That dealer just wants to move his L stock.  I smoke salmon on my XL (even with crap burned gasket) frequently, holding the heat at around 180 for hours.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Congratulations on the new xl!
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    Hello everyone my name is Derek and I am also new to the BGE and in the same place Steve is on trying decide which to get the L or the XL. I wanted the XL but the dealer here in Savannah GA said he has too much trouble controlling the heat on low settings with the XL and recommended I get the L. I was convinced until I read this post. Is this not an issue (heata control)? 99% of the time I am only cooking for me and the wife and her father that lives with us but I hate being constrained on not having enough room. Is the X" too big for just doing 3 or 4 chicken breast during the week or does that really matter? When I opened this listing I said whatever Cen-Tex says is the answer but I was expecting him to say go for the Large. I really appreciate how everyone gives feedback good or bad.
    No problems with heat control here. And I've only had the XL for 2the months
  • Newportlocal

I currently have a mini. Very portable and very useful I use it daily. Waiting on my tax return and then buying and xl. Will definitely keep both. If you can get an xl get one. It sound like someone was blowing smoke up your @sh saying that. They use xl sized ones in professional BBQ competitions.
  • Sgt93
    A few things..

1, nice trucks.

2, Derek, if you want an XL get an XL. I haven't used it yet but it has about given me hernia already LOL. It's BIG. Do you need it... that is your call. The cooking area is perfect for me.  The first dealer I went to also said that "he heard" that the XL's may have heat spot problems.  The kid was about 18 or 19. I went to another dealer that had several BGE's in every size in stock and saw an XL in action today cooking ribs.  They use the XL every day to cook out for the workers (cool business right!?). It was well seasoned to say the least.  I hope to cook on it by this weekend so I can get it ready for a nice long cook with some of this meat I got with the deal :)

3. Again, thanks everyone for the help. :)
  • Sgt93
    Has anyone used the Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier grate? Looks pretty nice. 
  • Newportlocal

Everyone buys things from the ceramic grill store including me. That being said I am getting the 2 tier grate you are talking about immediately when I get my xl. I want to lay a lot of ribs flat.
  • Sgt93

Everyone buys things from the ceramic grill store including me. That being said I am getting the 2 tier grate you are talking about immediately when I get my xl. I want to lay a lot of ribs flat.
    I just read up on it in another thread.  Looks like a nice piece of gear but that some people had clearance issues with a lower bolt hitting the plate.