Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs on the Egg and trying to enjoy my Sunday!!

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well got my Rutland done yesterday and chose to christen with some ribs today. Can't wait. Whats everybody else Egging this weekend??
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Lookin' good XP.  What's the rub and what glaze do you use?  I'm still looking for the perfect glaze.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hey Gary , try the Salt Lick sauce for the glaze. It's absolutely amazing on ribs and chicken as a glaze. It caramelizes like nothing else I have found. Really good stuff.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Village Idiot
    Salt Lick Sauce?  I hadn't even been to HEB yet to get the rub.  Now, I got two things to get.  Thanks !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Yep. Actually the rub/sauce combo on ribs and chicken is amazing.
  • NightwingXP
    Lookin' good XP.  What's the rub and what glaze do you use?  I'm still looking for the perfect glaze.
    I generally make my own rub. Haven't found one that the wife and I like as well as my own homemade stuff yet. Been wanting to try the Dizzy Pig rubs but haven't got around to those yet either. I have tried Byrons Butt rub but it seemed so salty. Mine is a brown sugar rub with some other stuff mixed in. I can email you the recipe if you like. You have shared so many with me I would be glad to reciprocate ! We like our ribs naked. Haven't gotten around to a good glaze yet either. First several times I made ribs 3 years ago I just did them naked and we can't bring ourselves to make them any other way now.
  • NightwingXP
    Hey Gary , try the Salt Lick sauce for the glaze. It's absolutely amazing on ribs and chicken as a glaze. It caramelizes like nothing else I have found. Really good stuff.
    Where do you get Salt Lick at Cen-Tex?
  • They sell it at our local grocery chain (HEB and Central Market) and I get it direct when I go eat there. Not sure I they sell it online or not but I'll be glad to send it to you if you want to try it.
  • Actually- I know they sell stuff online because my wife had a whole brisket and ribs sent to WI from them for my birthday a few years back when we lived up there.
  • Village Idiot
    @NightwingXP .  Thanks for the offer.  I'm good with the rub (Texas BBQ Rub).  Just looking for the perfect glaze.  I'll try Salt Lick because it is easy to get.  I've heard great things about Blues Hog, but haven't found it anywhere in Houston.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• TFJ just told me that we could buy salt Lick and Stubbs at the grocery store in WI so look around for it.
  • NightwingXP
    Actually- I know they sell stuff online because my wife had a whole brisket and ribs sent to WI from them for my birthday a few years back when we lived up there.
    Good deal CT thanks. I will look it up and give it a try!
  • Actually- I know they sell stuff online because my wife had a whole brisket and ribs sent to WI from them for my birthday a few years back when we lived up there.
    Good deal CT thanks. I will look it up and give it a try!
    allright. let me know if you can't get it. I'll send you some.

• NightwingXP
    Appreciate it! i just found the website! Looks great!
  • Appreciate it! i just found the website! Looks great!
    The sauce is better than the rub. The rub is good but I wouldn't say it's out of this world like the sauce is. it's just so unique  that I've never tasted anything like it.Together, they are amazing but we use the sauce on tons of different things.

Get both if you can (and Lauren's Spicy habenero sauce too if you are feeling froggy)

• Fake_Chow
    Fake_Chow Posts: 37
    Just finishing 3 racks up too! Not sure if I will foil them for another hour or not..getting a little hungry.
  • NightwingXP
    Look great Chow! I foiled mine for 2 hours and they fell apart!! Not the best ribs I have ever made as I didn't have time to rub and let sit in fridge over night, but they were still really good. Love my Egg!!
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    TFJ just told me that we could buy salt Lick and Stubbs at the grocery store in WI so look around for it.
    I'll have to look for Salt Lick, but I purchased some Stubbs at the local Pick and Save just last weekend. Need to keep an eye open for this Salt Lick stuff you're talking about.

XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I just did ribs yesterday and glazed them with honey. I also rubbed them with Tasty Licks Ribbit Rub. I sauces them in the last 10 minutes with sweet baby rays. They were really good!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • TFJ just told me that we could buy salt Lick and Stubbs at the grocery store in WI so look around for it.

Where in WI, and at what store. I currently live Wauwatosa (close to Milwaukee), and my parents live in the Fox Valley. I am sure one of us would be close enough to find the sauce.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    It was at a Pick 'n Save. I would look at any of the Roundy's chains. Copps, Pick 'n Save, Rainbow, Roundy's, etc...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe

Where in WI, and at what store. I currently live Wauwatosa (close to Milwaukee), and my parents live in the Fox Valley. I am sure one of us would be close enough to find the sauce.
    Sendek's (spelling) should have it in Milwaukee. We shopped Festival in Fox Valley. They will ship it to you from thier website if you can find it: 
    http://www.saltlickbbq.com/categories/Merchandise/

Don't get the spicy sauce. Just get the normal rub and sauce. the normal rub is actually pretty spicy and the flavor profile of the hot sauce sucks compared to the original