Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Beef Brisket

OrangeandBrown
OrangeandBrown Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in Beef
I am new 'EggHead' having bought my BGE about one week ago.  I've been smoking for a few years, but mainly just pork butt/shoulder and ribs on an entry level metal Brinkman.

Anyway, I've never developed the courage to try a smoked brisket until I bought the BGE.  (My Christening of the BGE was a six pound pork butt out of the gate on the Egg and it turned out great.)  I bought a flat, cryo-vac'd beef brisket from Whole Foods that weighed in at 6.5 lbs.  I coated it with a thin layer of yellow mustard and then used a peppery rub (Rudy's BBQ), wrapped it in saran-wrap and let is sit for about 36 hours in my fridge (figured 12 hours would have been sufficient but decided to wait another day).  

I fired the Egg up at 6:30am and took it off at 7:15pm...slow and low w/ table-setter in smoking position.  I used some soaked hickory chips along with the BGE natural charcoal.  It hit the plateau right around 167 and hung out there for the better part of 3 hours and even dropped back down in the mid-150 range (is that normal?).  After continuing adjustments with the coals and dampers, it got going again around 4pm and started climbing through the 170s and then got to about 185 before I took it off (was too hungry to wait any longer). 

As most everyone I talked to and everything I have read refers to the 'end' product looking like a crater (on the outside), I can say that is an absolutely true statement.  I wrapped it in foil and then a towel and let it set in a cooler for about 45 minutes.

I was nervous I was going to cut into it and find it super dry, however this was not the case.  The smoke ring was beautiful and it was very moist and tasted like heaven (probably b/c my wife and I were starving!!!).  I actually chopped some up the next morning in a Cuisinart and sauteed some onion/garlic and threw a bag of store bought 'Simply Potatoes' in a pan along with a few poached eggs for a killer hash.

Anyway, this Forum is great and it helped me out a ton with advice before trying it.  I am stoked to try my next dish tonight, Beer Can Chicken!

Cheers,
Ryan

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

Smoke ring is gorgeous. I am getting ready to do my first brisket next weekend, I love seeing people jump right in. This is my method, trial and error. Worst case scenario you still drank a bunch of (insert beverage of your choice..) and anjoyed a day outside doing what you want while your egg (and bbq guru digiq dx2) if you have it manage the temp.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Nice work Ryan. Looks awesome. The temp drop in the stall is totally normal although a drop that large is not. A perfect reminder that every butt and brisket have their own personality. Never a need to panic, just let the egg do it's work.

Cool cook with the hash too. Good day for you!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Smoke ring is gorgeous. I am getting ready to do my first brisket next weekend, I love seeing people jump right in. This is my method, trial and error. Worst case scenario you still drank a bunch of (insert beverage of your choice..) and anjoyed a day outside doing what you want while your egg (and bbq guru digiq dx2) if you have it manage the temp.

@michigan_jason, Good luck on the Brisket...slow and low!