Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone - Best place to purchase?

jbates67
jbates67 Posts: 168
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been planning on making home made pizzas for a while now and was ready to make it happen tonight, just found out however that the pizza stone that we have is the Pampered Chef kind that apparently can't handle the heat and has a strong tendency to crack. Looking for advice where to purchase (a reasonably priced) one 16" for my LBGE?

Comments

• EggHeadFred
    EggHeadFred Posts: 123
    Mothership
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • jbates67
    Thanks EggHeadFred, 
    I looked and Mothership only offers 14" stone or 21", prefer the 16" to take advantage of the larger surface area.

• Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    I think I'm going to buy the BGE stone.  It costs about $20 more (in my limited looking around) that other quality stones on Amazon, but ti comes with a 3 year warranty (I believe) which might really come in handy if it gets a lot of use as I hear a lot of stories about them cracking.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    16" from ceramicgrillstore.com. Its a heavy, thick, quality stone.
  • I have the "Old Stone Oven" 16" pizza stone & am very satisfied w/ it.  It's truly 16" diameter, so it will fit 16" pizzas.  Got it from Amazon.

Here's the link:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E19MW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000E1FDA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHXKQVKEJNPZ61SZBYG">16"_PIZZA_STONE</a>

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159

I say try it.  I have been using a Pampered Chef 1/4" thick stone on my large Egg since November.  Since that time I have cooked three pizzas a week @ 650 degrees almost every week.  Cooked three yesterday for Mother's Day.  I always put stone directly on plate setter while grill is heating up.

Good luck.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Mothership

What is mothership? I want a 21" stone...

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• jbates67
    Mothership is BGE distributors, if they don't have it, they can order.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Actually, the mothership is BGE headquarters in Atlanta.  When one has a problem with one's dealer or distributor, then you call the mothership.
    The Naked Whiz
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    i have the 13" stone from the ceramic grill store for my large. I usually put in the adjustable rig, than 2 bricks on top of the top grill, and stone on top of that. gets it nice and high up in the dome. I want the 16" stone, it's next on my list, but honestly my pizza peel is only a 12" one, so for now the 13 does fine. The egg stones are nice, but so are the ones from ceramic grill store.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

I used the pampered chef 16" stone with the following set up with no issues (yet)

Platesetter legs up, cooking grid, then the PC stone.

• I would just use what you have until (if it ever does) cracks. It may last years

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I used a less than stellar quality pizza stone for six months before it broke. Replaced it with a 16 inch stone from CGS and it will probably last forever. Use what you have and if or when it breaks, use MQ's advice!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • forty_crk
    forty_crk Posts: 52

I cook my pizza's on my plate setter with the legs down.  It stays clean from using it for indirect cooks.  Plus it has so much flavor for the crust.  Some have said it will get to hot.  I have cooked pizza's on it for 3+ yrs no issues at 450.  I actually chipped a leg on my original plate setter about 6 months ago (it was my fault...I finally bought a new one but I knew it wasn't seasoned like my original so I just used foil to help balance the original).  I have finally gotten my new plate setter seasoned after multiple slow/low cooks.  My wife bought me a pizza stone at christmas...I have not told her I don't use it (it was the thought that counted).  But I have been trying to get it seasoned.  I just carry the pizza's out on it and slide em on the plate setter.  Then serve the pizza on the pizza stone.

My biggest regret is waiting 3 years after I purchased the egg to cook a pizza on it...

But it's each to their own when it comes to cooking...you are the one that has to be satisfied not us!

Just my $0.02

Good Luck!

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • My Pampered Chef stone cracked a week ago. A tiny amount of grease from cooking pepperoni dripped onto the stone as I was removing the pizza. I heard a pop...and the stone was split in 2. I have used it twice since :)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I bought my pizza stone from FireCraft.  It is very heavy and it is 16".  Been very happy with it, but I agree with whomever said above to just use the one you got--it may last for years.
  • Northern1
    Northern1 Posts: 19
    Green egg grid lifter price shock!
  • guam97
    guam97 Posts: 1

recommend a fibrament stone. http://www.bakingstone.com/

fibrament is sold for commercial use to line pizza ovens.