Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED HELP CHICKEN BREAST ON BGE

Mike R
Mike R Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in Poultry
Help is requested. What is best method for cooking boneless chicken breast? Use direct or indirect method? What temp for BGE setup?

Comments

• Do breast direct around 400. Raised grid if you have one. Don't worry of you don't (I don't do it but it is easier on the bird if you do)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mike R
    Thanks Cen-Tex. I went to the local BGE store today looking for the raised grid but they only had one left and it was broken. I have the half grid but I need to do 10 breast. We have the whole family coming tomorrow for Mom's day.
  • Cool deal. I don't do raised so you should be fine. Just keep an eye on the temps and you'll be fine.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I do skinless breasts with platesetter at 400 until 160. I use various seasonings. I have done salt and pepper, then mix it in with salsa, peppers, etc to make tacos. I have used teryaki sauce with a bed of rice, etc etc.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I did a couple of boneless skinless breast with my last spatchcock chicken since my wife likes them. They turned out way better than any I had ever done before on the gasser - more moist - but still a bit too tough for me. It could have been the meat itself though since she buys the cheap frozen Wal Mart brand. Anyhow, I cooked them raised direct just like the spatchcock at 400 deg.

Somewhere I read that brining the breasts before grilling was the only way to go so I might give that a try sometime. Spatchcock is SO good (and easy!) that it would be very difficult to beat it.
  • Mike R
    You all are so great. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • CatWrangler
    CatWrangler Posts: 22
    What Cen-Tex said! Raised Grid at 400-450. This will give you nice grill marks without the flame being able to touch the breast. I pull at 165 at the lowest, just to be safe and allow to rest for a few. Mine have always turned out nice & moist and white :)

You can make your current full grid a raised one with about $6-7 worth of stainless hardware(4" bolts with washers & nuts)

If all else fails and the only thing you need to cook is a full load of breasts... keep your lump lower to keep the flame off of them.
    Grom Egger since Sept '11 My Egg Arsenal: Med BGE- Digi PartyQ- Mav ET73- Plate Setter- Stone- Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier- YuengLing-  Florida Panhandle
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Do breast direct around 400. Raised grid if you have one. Don't worry of you don't (I don't do it but it is easier on the bird if you do)

Indeed, the basic formula.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    What size do you have?  There are lots of ways to create a raised grid.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I have a raised grid but normally just do boneless/skinless breasts at 350f direct at the regular grid level with results that make me happy. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited May 2012

I wouldn't argue that a raised grid is the better way to go yet here is my present method for Tyson or store brand breasts (bonelss/skinless) stumbled on by accident and through pure inexperience/lack of patience:Pour probably 1/3 of a BGE lump bag (any will do) or about enough to cover the bottom and mound a little in the middle (mine's a XL).

Heat a minute or two with the weed torch and leave open while you put the bottle away. Stick the stock grate and a Grill Grate in at the normal level, close the lid and leave the vents wide open until the dome temp. is 400 or so and a quick look confirms that the entire bed is glowing. Cut the top vent back to just the daisy holes open and the bottom somewhere around a perfect square or so. 

Just before you go to get the rubbed breasts (doesn't seem to matter with what) stick in an unsoaked plank (I use two of different species) possibly cut like these http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/oval-planks.html on each side of the Grill Grate . They should be cut thin enough to fit between the grates vertically and long enough to poke above them a bit with the bottom edge in the fire. The XL grates allow enough room for this with space to cook a few more breasts on the standard grate as well. By the time you get back with the breasts you'll have brownish smoke pouring heavily out of both the top and bottom vents. Hit the grates with some olive oil, tightly arrange the 20-22 breasts and (cautiously, with burps) open up for the flip when curiosity get the best of you. You may have wild flames on the outside edges and have to use the long gloves (recommended) but all will be good again when the lid closes and the heavy smoke again commences. I often stick the wood pieces further in to the fire when I'm in there and then go wide open with the vents briefly to rekindle/make up for lost heat. Once the temp. rises significantly or I see/smell the wood take hold again I choke down the vents (as above) so that smoke pours heavily out both ends for the final cook. 

Even though I shoot for 155 or so on my ThermaPen...most of the pieces vary widely due to the large number involved and remarkably every seemingly turns out just as juicy as the next. We rarely taste test, cool uncovered and vac pac them right away to the freezer. They have nice grill lines, never burn on the GG (those off the GG rarely do either) are super moist and the entire process is relatively fast with two people, a half-way decent sealer (ours is the Ary VP-215) and really no downtime whatsoever (maybe one beer if you drink fast).

Not necessarily my favorite way to cook but one that puts a lot of moist meat in the freezer (fast) and with not a lot of fuss.