Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs: V-Rack or Flat On Grid?

Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Which do you prefer?  In a v-rack or just flat on the grid? Foil or no foil?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I'm in the flat on the grid-no foil camp. The great majority of my BGE low&slow efforts are on the front end-fire prep, trimming meat, rub application.  Once it's game-time, I look for the simplest method to achieve great taste.  As you well know, the BGE has a pretty wide margin for error so I take advantage of that.  I may spray the ribs once or twice at the tail end of the cook, but I cook them Memphis style (dry with no sauce during the cook).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I lay the rack directly on the grid removed membrane side down. Generous coating of dizzy dust and cook indirect 250 dome. Cook for 5 hours. Then, coat Bone Suckin Sauce on them and cook for another hour. These are unbelieveable. No foil!!!

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I have done both ways v-rack and flat - haven't really noticed a difference in the final product.  I cook them for 4-5 hours indirect raised and generally foil for the last hour - then baste with sauce after that and serve.  Perfect to my liking everytime.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    For me a Crack was always to squeeze more ribs on there. If i can go flat, why have something else to clean (or not, right Stike?)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tazcrash
    A rack. Don't put ribs in a crack.
    Dumb auto complete and fat thumbs
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Cullum
    A rack. Don't put ribs in a crack.
    Dumb auto complete and fat thumbs
    That's hilarious!
  • Cullum

I lay the rack directly on the grid removed membrane side down. Generous coating of dizzy dust and cook indirect 250 dome. Cook for 5 hours. Then, coat Bone Suckin Sauce on them and cook for another hour. These are unbelieveable. No foil!!!

I've used the Bone Sucking Sauce RUB but not the sauce. Is it a bbq sauce?
  • To me, the vrack is only to use if you have more ribs than will lay flat. No reason to rack unless you are cooking for a party
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    There is bone sucking rub, sauce, and thick sauce. I'm waiting to open that last one and give it a shot.
    I love their products.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    did spares last weekend ( trimmed st. louis style). 

i cut three slabs of spares into racks of about four ribs each, and loosely piled them around the cooking grid. i knew there would be a couple layers, so instead of laying the first layer flat, i actually overlapped them a bit, tilting each one.  when the next layer went on ), i had a pile, but there were enough nooks and crannies to allow the smoke in. 

i'm not one for opening and fussing, but a couple hours in I opened it up and moved around any that were covered by another rack.

that was pretty much it until i sauced them.  ...we sauce here.
    plenty of smoke, and done at the same time.
    in fact, pre-cutting the slabs into racks allows me to pull off the thinner ends early, if needed.

these aren't the ones from last weekend, but they somewhat show the idea behind the 'loose pile' slash 'pinwheel stacking method of lazy man's accessory-free cooking

also, remember that thing that sounded like a sonic boom of 'cool' back when you were a pre-teen?  this is a photo capturing the phenomenon which caused it. when all the faux badassery of the 70s and early 80s combined and formed a center of coolness gravity so dense, we almost never escaped. BOOM

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    So Stike does it again. 
    He proves that even if you don't have enough room, you still don't need a rack to get them on there! =D>

Those rib pics made me hungry until I scrolled down to the reminder of TV past. 

Whatchyou talkin bout Stike!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I've got the adjustable rig, so 4 or less go flat. More than that go in a rack, they come out the same either way. Either way they're going flat to sauce if I'm competing. eating at home I never sauce.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    if you have an adjustable rig, do the drippings from the top ribs effect the ribs on the bottom at all?
  • I do inverted v-rack, no foil, 225, dry rub, and spray with apple juice on the hour, every hour, for about 6 hours.  My wife raves about my ribs for weeks after the meal is gone!

Sarge
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    if you have an adjustable rig, do the drippings from the top ribs effect the ribs on the bottom at all?

I have run into less crusty bark on the bottom, but I usually sauce the last hour so it's not a big deal.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    stike I can't believe you kept that pic of you and me from high school

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'm not gonna lie, that pic is awesome.

I have also used skewers to keep the meat apart a few inches so the smoke could get to everything
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • deeznutz
    deeznutz Posts: 13
    Well I'm pretty new to the whole egging thing but last time I did a lot of ribs, I just stood them up on there ends and used a swish kabob skewer to hold them together. It was easy, effective and cheap :)
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'm in the flat on the grid-no foil camp.
    same.  Having an XL makes laying them flat pretty easy.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.