Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's so good about burnt ends?

AZbge
AZbge Posts: 96
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So you cook the point for an extra 3-4 hours, pull them off the egg, cut them up and serve with BBQ sauce. Sounds a lot like the process for the flat outside of the extra time. So what makes burnt ends so good?

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

When you taste burnt ends done correctly, you will have your answer.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• They are good but I love point just the way it comes off the egg. It's my favorite BBQ of any kind so I normally don't do Burnt Ends. I've had them and enjoyed them but to me, low and slow point is as good as it gets
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    So you cook the point for an extra 3-4 hours, pull them off the egg, cut them up and serve with BBQ sauce. Sounds a lot like the process for the flat outside of the extra time. So what makes burnt ends so good?
    They are beyond amazing.  I pull the whole brisket off the Egg when the temp hits where I want (190-200).  I separate the flat and wrap in foil.  I cut the point up into 1 inch squares and put them in a disposable aluminum pan. I put in apple cider vinegar, more of the same rub I used on the outside of the brisket, and some apple juice.  I mix that all up by hand, making sure the little cubes are all coated.  Sprinkle a little more rub on top and put the pan back on the egg for 3 hours, with some fresh wood chunks on top of the fire for some powerful smoke.

The result is every bite tastes like the bark of the brisket, plus since the point is so fatty they aren't dry, they are super moist and tender.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    OK, I've never had them, but man do they sound good.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    best piece of real bbq ever. They're gone before they come in the house most of the time. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

imageTo speed things up I usually cube the point when I seperate and then poor some of the drippings into a cast iron skillet and cook on low-medium heat for a half hour or so and add more seasoning. Have to say this is my favorite food ever.image

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    you really don't understand what you're dealing with and that spicy, sweet, juicy cube of meat just melts in your mouth! get some....rather MAKE SOME!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    If you like the bark on a brisket, imagine a lot of little pieces (usually 1 inch or so) slow cooked to crunchy perfection...but other than that they are ok. LOL...I loved the burnet ends...
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    @lit  I just drooled on my keyboard.  I wish I had a plate of those for dinner!  Guess I got a plan for the weekend! :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • AZbge
    OK, I've never had them, but man do they sound good.
    +1

I am doing my first brisket this weekend though so I'll give it a shot.  My mouth is already watering...
  • AZbge
    @ Lit Do you put any cider/juice in with your ends like @FxLynch?

Your pictures alone sold me.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I haven't used apple juice on my briskets but I'm sure its good. I always use apple juice on my shoulders. Here's a good link to read before you cook a brisket http://www.bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php and http://www.bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php. I use the Au Jus sauce from Bubba Tims site and then after marinating put that in the drip pan with some water for the cook. That is also what I put in the skillet at the end with the tips.Make sure you get a whole brisket not just the flat and I usually start checking for doneness around 190 degrees in the thickest part of the flat don't take the temperature in the point. From experience around 195 they usually hit the point when you slide in the thermometer there's no resistance and I pull them. I also usually wrap mine in foil around 170 degrees it will have a good bark by then if you keep yout dome at 250. You will see on the links above but there is a thick fat line that runs between the flat and point at a angle where you will be able to slide a knife right through to seperate. Here's a couple better pics.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Best to do the injecting out of doors

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AZbge

I put in apple cider vinegar, more of the same rub I used on the outside of the brisket, and some apple juice. 

How much apple vinegar/juice do you use?  Just enough to coat the chunks or are you trying to soak them?
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I just put enough to coat them, probably a few tablespoons of each, I don't have a set recipe.  I then mix them up by hand since it seems to coat them best.
  • AZbge
    Thanks!  I'll give it a try Sunday.
  • I serve the flat to all of my guests. The point is just to way fatty to serve to my loved ones. So to protect them ("munch") I have to eat it all ("munch, munch") myself.  I know, it is noble of me ("munch, munch, munch") to take one for the family but heck I am old and ("munch, munch, munch") and expendable. Besides, they have no clue. Except my brother in law, he is eyeing those burnt ends...
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Mountaindewbass, if you got it at Costco chances are its flat.  Although some say you can buy a full packer brisket.  My costco only sells flats, it should say on label
  • I cant tell by those pics but 7lbs would tell me that is a flat. That would be a very small packer (most are 12+lbs).
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    At only 7.32 lbs, it looks too thick to be a packer. I'm thinking it's a flat with maybe a little point meat left but not enough that I would bother trying to separate.

If you look at Lit's pics, the full packer is sitting in the foil with the flat on the top right. In his cutting board pic, flat is on left and point is on right.

I see the Co Springs address on the label. On my last visit to Co Springs I found a whole 15 lb packer at King Soopers.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • AZbge
    The brisket I've been battling all night says the same thing and almost identical weight. There was another section at Costco clearly labeled flats so I figured this was a whole. When I took it out last night, I couldn't determine where the point was either so after starting this post, I may not be trying burnt ends after all. :((
  • AZbge
    I just confirmed with my local Costco that they are all flats regardless of what the label says. That's all they sell. It was a little misleading because some were labeled plats and some weren't.
  • You are still going to eat well. If it does not taste right, drink a bunch of beer then try it again. I find this helps.