Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip

burr_baby33
burr_baby33 Posts: 503
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have seen many of you talk about tri tip but I have never tried one. Costco has them and even had one cut into steaks. Would you recommend a tri tip steak? The ones I saw were about 1 1/2 inch thick. Wadda ya think? Hot tub, sear and finish?

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have a tri tip in the fridge I am going to marinate and cook tomorrow. I recommend it. I enjoy the cut. Costco has them by me where they come 2 to a package for $7.99/lb and then a package of 4-7 a package at $4.99/lb. I recommend trying one and if you like them enough grab the jumbo package.

As for cooking it there are tons of ways. I actually want to hear some of the suggested ways to cook them because I have only done one once on the egg. I did a pretty basic cook, did it at about 400 til 135 internal.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    edited May 2012
    I like them Santa Maria Style

The baste really adds to it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Cook them how ever the most important thing is to cut across the grain or you will have tough meat no matter what. I always hot tub mine and then sear a minute or so 4 times and them put the woo in and some red oak and let them smoke at around 400 till they hit 125 and then wrap them in foil for 5-10 minutes.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Tri tip is one of our favorites.  I sear for two minutes on each side, then shut the egg down, put the Maverick probe in the thickest part and pull them at 130.

I use oak if I have it and hickory if I don't.

As someone said above, it MUST be sliced across the grain.  We slice them thin and eat them on Hoagie buns.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

My preference is to indirect cook tri tip roasts at 325-350 with some red oak chunks until IT hits 115-120. Remove & rest under foil while Egg is cranked up to about 550-600.

Sear 1 minute per side & pull.

IT should be about 130 at this point but during rest under foil tent it'll rise up to about 135.

I like a 15-20 minute rest before slicing thin (I aim for 1/8-3/16" slices) across the grain. Grain directions change a little around the center of the roast so adjust your cut accordingly to maintain the across the grain cuts for the most tenderness. Good to have some bread or garlic bread ready to soak up some juices.

I find a reverse sear provides a more uniform doneness across the slice.  Risk of reverse sear is you can easily fly past your target if you over sear. 

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    How do you go about cooking it indirect on an egg?  Do you use a pan or the plate setter then remove it and crank up the heat? 
  • Platesetter and yes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Newbie question again.  The plate setter can be removed while hot?  It wont get damaged if placed on a cool surface?
  • Yep. Just be careful to use some good gloves. It won't be that hot anyway if you follow the directions above. Platesetters are tough. They can handle almost anything.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    No problem with the plate setter coming out hot.

I have done both sear then roast and reverse sear, they both work fine. R2's post has two excellent points. Rest these longer than steaks, just pull a little under to allow for temp rise. Cutting cross grain is big too, and you usually have to change direction at some point. red oak a great tip too

You can marinate, or just use a rub both are excellent. Try this seasoning, it is great on steaks too. http://www.susieqbrand.com/

Tri is a great cook for parties

George
    George