Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Smoke, Beef Ribs with Pics.

Fliehigh
Fliehigh Posts: 76
edited May 2012 in Beef

I finally found some Beef ribs in my area and decided to smoke them with some surgar maple.

The family loved them and so did I.

:)

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I think beef ribs are my favorite... those look tasty!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Fliehigh

Thank you.

They were AMAZING.

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    wow, those look amazing. May need to put those on the menu soon. 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    YUM!!  :-bd
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Never enjoyed beef ribs because I think they were always made with a quick cook.
    Those look good. Need to put them on the shopping list. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Fliehigh

This was a 6 hour smoke.

3 Hours of nice smoke from the sugar maple chunks, 2 hours wrapped in foil with apple juice, then 1 hour with bbq sauce.

Nice Bark, great taste and tender.

• KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Nice cook - those ribs look like they have a lot of meat on them. Are they short ribs or just labeled as beef ribs? I need to find some
  • Fliehigh

These are just beef back ribs.

I found a local meat shop that brings them in there was a TON of meat.

• flmtrain
    flmtrain Posts: 15
    Those look really great. I am getting my BGE this weekend finally and have been thinking what to cook for my first. I think you helped me make up my mind. What temp did you cook them? You mentioned wrapped in foil with apple juice, did you just pour the juice over them and then wrap them? What a great bbq sauce to use? Sorry for all the questions but as you can see I am new to this whole thing. I have been wanting an BGE for a year now and final bought one.  
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Thanks. Not that many beef rib posts, and I am very interested in them. Those look great! Sounds like you found a good system.
  • Fliehigh
    edited May 2012

Hi flmtrain

No worries on the questions, that is what the forum is for.

So here is what I did start to finish:

Coated the ribs in yellow mustard and then coated them in bone lickin rub with some added brown sugar. Set them in a loos fitting back over night in the frisge.

Next day I setup the egg for indirect heat at 250 and used the v-rack to hold the ribs for the first 3 hours with 2 Sugar Maple Smoke chunks added.

Took them off the v-rack and wrapped each secition in foil, first pouring some apple juice in the foil package with the ribs. Steamed them in the foil on 250 for 2 hours.

Removed them from the foil and placed back on the grill (Still indirect) but bumped the temp to 300 and added Bulls-eye Texas bold 2twice during the last hour.

Hope this helps.

• Fliehigh
    Thanks. Not that many beef rib posts, and I am very interested in them. Those look great! Sounds like you found a good system.
    They are AWSOME, but the boss......... I mean wife still likes pork better, but then again she would eat chicken every day as she does not like red meat as much as me.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Where do you find the  "sugar maple chunks"?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Newportlocal
    I am lucky my "boss/wife" likes beef. She can't be all bad she let me buy a mini egg yesterday, and I told her um got permission to get an xl when the tax return comes in. Better to have her on my side. Happy wife happy wife. We alternate on spending turns.
  • Fliehigh
    I got the sugar maple chunks from my bge dealer but I have seen them at walmart as well, just smaller bags.

• Newportlocal
    Lol spellcheck. Happy wife happy life. Lucky for me I love to cook.
  • Mickey
    I got the sugar maple chunks from my bge dealer but I have seen them at walmart as well, just smaller bags.

Is sugar maple and maple the same thing?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I got the sugar maple chunks from my bge dealer but I have seen them at walmart as well, just smaller bags.

Is sugar maple and maple the same thing?
    It is a certain type of Maple. I know sugar maple is what Jack Daniels makes their charcoal that they filter with....fun fact. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Just ordered a bag of Sugar Maple Chips  and a bag of chunks. Bags about 3 lbs to  try.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    When it comes to smoke, I don't think what variety of maple won't be much of a difference ... IMHO
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Newportlocal
    I think higher on Janka scale a few more BTUs and a slightly higher sugar concentration in the wood.
  • Newportlocal
    A little tid bit. Its a maple syrup tree. I will try some.
  • flmtrain
    flmtrain Posts: 15

Thanks for all the info Fliehigh, everything sounds great. There is a local butcher not far from my house so I am going there this week to buy some beef ribs. You mention bone lickin rub, what rub brand puts that one out?

Can't wait to try them, will let you know how mine turn out. Thanks again!

• Newportlocal
    Maybe bone suckin rub. Hmm easy confusion licking and suckin :D
  • Fliehigh
    Maybe bone suckin rub. Hmm easy confusion licking and suckin :D
    Yes sorry, it was bone suckin rub. Your right though it is easy to confuse.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Very nice right there, beef ribs are the best