Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow... BGE lump

ShadowNick
ShadowNick Posts: 533
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Everyone within walking distance of my place was out of lump except for the hardware store that carried BGE. $27 for 20 lbs bag. Yikes.

On a side note, walking home a 3/4 mile with a 20 pound bag of lump... Lets just say I made frequent "hydration" breaks at the bars on the way back home.
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• ShadowNick
    Oh, I know, but living in Chicago, there are no Wally Worlds around. Only other brands locally are Cowboy and Trader Joe's, and places that sold them were out. Just not a huge BBQ area, same reason I have a hard time finding ground beef that is not 93/7 :(
    Pentwater, MI
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited May 2012
    Really? Not any/many Wally's in Chicago?
  • ShadowNick
    None in the city limits
    Pentwater, MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    No Wally Worlds would be too soon for me-I just have a thing about WW-and I'm fine with that. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Wouldn't bother me either...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Screw WW
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Sam's club or Costco? You might have luck there. I pay $14.99 for 40 lbs at Sam's (sorry)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Walmart does not go into big cities because they can't get the big buildings needed and the parking required together like you normally see the stores look like. They are however starting to do Walmart express like stores that are kind of like Walgreen's. 
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    i hate WW aka China-mart too but it's a great place to stock up on cheap RO lump. WW are not in any major urban cities because it doesn't fit their business model: Cheap real estate surrounded by low income housing.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Walmart does not go into big cities because they can't get the big buildings needed and the parking required together like you normally see the stores look like. They are however starting to do Walmart express like stores that are kind of like Walgreen's. 

thats not really the issue.  there is space here in chicago... has more to do with unions and rate of pay for workers.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    A bit of a thread hi-jack here, but it's a good thing WW isn't the only place to get lump or I would be SOL:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • XLBalco
    Everyone within walking distance of my place was out of lump except for the hardware store that carried BGE. $27 for 20 lbs bag. Yikes.

On a side note, walking home a 3/4 mile with a 20 pound bag of lump... Lets just say I made frequent "hydration" breaks at the bars on the way back home.
    where did you buy it at?  armitage direct?
  • ShadowNick
    edited May 2012
    yup
    Pentwater, MI
  • XLBalco
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Try restaurant supply stores.
  • ShadowNick
    Oh, I know there are plenty of places if I wanted to drive, but the whole thing was that was the only bag I could find in walking distance. Had a good parking spot on the street and didn't want to lose it. :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • Ah, life in the city :)
  • ShadowNick
    On the other hand, it's nice to be able to put on a long cook, walk to the corner bar and walk back every couple hours to check on the food. :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • No doubt. Just busting you a little. I probably couldn't do long term in the city but I love it when I'm there. Of course I have kids, dogs, cars, etc so I'm currently built for burb life.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Everyone within walking distance of my place was out of lump except for the hardware store that carried BGE.
    Wow; there's only three places within driving distance of me that carry lump... (within reason, of course)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Wow; there's only three places within driving distance of me that carry lump... (within reason, of course)
    Only one here - Wally World. Life in the boonies is great - most of the time.  ;)

Seriously considering trying to make my own lump. It isn't that difficult to do and I have oak firewood available to do it.
  • Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    How do you make your own?
  • VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54

Only one here - Wally World. Life in the boonies is great - most of the time.  ;)

Hey!   I don't know what state your boonies are in but Wally world here in the boonies of the thumb of Michigan and in Port Huron doesn't even carry Royal Oak brand!  :-(     I've spent 2 different days and drove around 200 miles or more, looking for lump charcoal, NONE!     Not Kroger brand, Royal Oak or Kingsford lump charcoal!  Now I will need to go back to where I purchased my BGE from about 75 miles one way to at least buy BGE lump, had no ideal that lump charcoal was so hard to find!  I'll be sure to stcok up! :-) 

Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!