Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injection

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok folks. Done many a butts over the years but thinking about injecting this one. Got a 9 lb bone in for Kentucky Derby party. I use bab byrons as my rub and apple for smoke. Any suggestions on an injection?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    I've never injected anything.... into meat anyways.... however.... Garlic Butter sounds yummy to me..... have ZERO idea if it would turn out or not though......

or what about a rosemary/red wine reduction sauce injected?
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I've never injected anything.... into meat anyways....
    Nice.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    I've tried a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice. Couldn't really tell. I have thought about trying some bbq sauce, maybe for the last hour or so.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I recall (sorry not more specific) someone who used a combination of apple juice and worcestershire sauce on a prk butt.  You may want to search here and if no luck try google.  Go baby go!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Good topic.   Glad you started this thread.

I played around with injection some years ago on a different smoker technology.   But wanting to learn more.   Debating whether to start down that road again.

I seem to remember that the timing of the injection influences what you are injecting with.  With BB's, heavier vinegar is good for precook, or early cook ( first hour or two) since it will assist with the breakdown and help tenderize.    At the later timeframes, towards the end, the injection is more about flavor enhancement.   Not sure if that makes sense.

Wondering how many people inject on the Egg, or is the general consensus that the Egg holds in enough moisture that its not needed.

Did a brisket last weekend, was a bit small, so I cooked it out longer at a lower temp - to get closer to my serve time.   Was probably one the most tender, flavorful briskets I have done lately --- but there was not really any "juiciness" or moisture in the meat.  Not that I want "dripping" but got me wondering about injecting.

Would appreciate injection guidance also - just "point" me in the right direction --- lol.

Cookin in Texas
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I've injected plenty for comps, but don't do it for home use. Want to really wow them, pierce the butt with a sharp knife about 2-3 inches down and stuff a clove of garlic in there. They'll melt over the course of the cook, and they're like butter when you're shredding it. Always a winner.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I have injected my Boston butts with an eastern nc BBQ sauce. I will strain the sauce first so that the red pepper flakes don't clog up the needle.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've used several of the Cajun injections and honestly I can tell very little difference.  A rub that suits you, some smoke, low and slow, put a little more rub in when you pull it and it will be great.

Myron Mixon's book has an injection he calls Hog Injection.  I made it and used it and just didn't think it was worth all the time.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    I no longer like injecting (pork) butts.  I used a shigged Chris Lilly injection that tasted good, but it just made a mess (counter and drip pan) and didn't really improve the flavor noticeably.  It actually made it taste less smoky for some reason.
  • Chubbs
    I have always leaned towards no injection, but partly because I dont know anything about it which is why I posted this thread. People have always raved over my pork butts over the years, so maybe I wont mess with my technique. Was just trying to add a little something on this one. I was mainly asking if people think it makes it more moist, but the concensus seems to be "cant tell difference".
  • CCC74
    CCC74 Posts: 11
    I did my first pulled pork on my new egg on Sunday. I used the injection on tis page:

I used a different rub.

Turned out awesome!
  • lousubcap
    Tip for the injectors in the crowd-cover the target meat with some saran wrap before injecting-then inject through the wrap.  Keeps the wayward injections confined-cleanup much easier.  Not original thought but figured a good idea.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • seadub
    seadub Posts: 20
    Dr. Pepper, Apple Juice and a little Ponzu sauce is my favorite.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fwiw, fishless has injected his after the plateau, and finds less loss from what i understand (less mess, no wrapping, etc.).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • With something like a pork butt, you can add flavor AFTER you pull it (like vinegar finishing sauce etc). I wonder why you could not make some type of vinaigrette or marinade and lightly drizzle after the pull. That way, it gets right where you want it and it's in every bite.  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tip for the injectors in the crowd-cover the target meat with some saran wrap before injecting-then inject through the wrap.  Keeps the wayward injections confined-cleanup much easier.  Not original thought but figured a good idea.
    Did you just say target meat?
  • Chubbs
    With something like a pork butt, you can add flavor AFTER you pull it (like vinegar finishing sauce etc). I wonder why you could not make some type of vinaigrette or marinade and lightly drizzle after the pull. That way, it gets right where you want it and it's in every bite.  

Usually what I do. NC vinegar sauce over it right after it is pulled.
  • With something like a pork butt, you can add flavor AFTER you pull it (like vinegar finishing sauce etc). I wonder why you could not make some type of vinaigrette or marinade and lightly drizzle after the pull. That way, it gets right where you want it and it's in every bite.  

Usually what I do. NC vinegar sauce over it right after it is pulled.
    I do that too. Bet it would work with some of the other flavors they are talking about too.

• lousubcap
    Tip for the injectors in the crowd-cover the target meat with some saran wrap before injecting-then inject through the wrap.  Keeps the wayward injections confined-cleanup much easier.  Not original thought but figured a good idea.
    Did you just say target meat?
    Yup-where I come from there are only two kinds of ships-submarines and targets-to this day anything I'm aimin' at is a target :)>- as I know you would understand:)
  • Roger that cap. Just thought it was hilarious.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Are you injecting for tenderness, flavor, juiciness? Does different injections do different things? What about the timing? Before, mid cook, toward the end?
    Cookin in Texas
  • Chubbs
    Morning update. Decided not to inject. Egg started at 3:30am and butt on at 4:15am. 4 hours in and meat in coming along nicely at 145 degrees. After 8 hours of forming bark I will begin misting with apple cider vinegar and apple juice every hour. Cleaning the house and then going to enjoy a bloody Mary on the porch with the dog. Going to be a good day. Pictures later.
  • lousubcap
    Morning update. Decided not to inject. Egg started at 3:30am and butt on at 4:15am. 4 hours in and meat in coming along nicely at 145 degrees. After 8 hours of forming bark I will begin misting with apple cider vinegar and apple juice every hour. Cleaning the house and then going to enjoy a bloody Mary on the porch with the dog. Going to be a good day. Pictures later.
    I'm sure it will be great-and may you have the winner in the Derby!
  • Chubbs
    Nearing 7 hours and at 172 degrees. The stall...... I usually try to time these things so that stall time is drinking time but my pregnant wife doesn't seem too amused by my drinking at 10:45 am. Such is life. Anyone else cooking something good today?
  • Chubbs
    For the record, I have not touched my vents since I preset them after start up. Sitting about 255 on the nose. It's amazing how you get acclimated to the egg and know where the vents need to be for your target temp.
  • lousubcap
    For the record, I have not touched my vents since I preset them after start up. Sitting about 255 on the nose. It's amazing how you get acclimated to the egg and know where the vents need to be for your target temp.
    And think of how many adult beverages you can buy with the $$ saved by not needing/wanting one of those fancy temperature controllers...I'm in your camp on temperature control-a little patience and you can dial it right in.
  • Chubbs
    And think of how many adult beverages you can buy with the $$ saved by not needing/wanting one of those fancy temperature controllers...I'm in your camp on temperature control-a little patience and you can dial it right in.
    For sure. I use a cheap remote thermometer I got as a gift to monitor meat temp. Probably have a couple hundred hours and had zero issues. Fortunately I have not ever had issues holding a steady temp without a fan unit as well. And that extra cash goes to stock the beer fridge on the porch!!!