Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite beer

Options

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Cen-Tex -- funny.  Kids?  Elm Lawn or Sauk Trail?  I lived on Hunters Ct for years, but then divorced, and moved down to Hubbard.  The city hall side of Hubbard, not your side.  I was always more of a Village Green and Club Tavern fan.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Here's a tried and true fave that never fails to get a scowl from the wife. After a night of several too many. Any cheap beer, lucky, Pbr, old mil Ect, and motts clamoto. It'll if ya right up. Goes great with egged breakfast.
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
    I'll drink any beer once, twice, or twelve, but favorite is Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    On ice.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Atta boy outlaw. I'm a big Tito's fan (distilled here in Austin).

Trout - Elm Lawn. We hung at tavern on the green and club a little bit too.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    From what I gather: If from Texas= Tito's is great. Regardless of taste, gotta support the homeboy??? Am I wrong?
  • troutgeek
    Options
    Cen-Tex -- Did you operate any restaurants in the Madison area?  Our weekend place is near Markesan/Green Lake -- kind of toward Appleton, but not quite.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex -- Did you operate any restaurants in the Madison area?  Our weekend place is near Markesan/Green Lake -- kind of toward Appleton, but not quite.
    We did not. Could only afford the one gaping sinkhole in my wallet at a time.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    @css- good to know. I know they sold the pappy stock from Buffalo to Jefferson about a year ago. That was all the 18 and over from Buffalo. That is about $75 a bottle down here in TX under the Jefferson label I was drinking Pappy out of the bottle 4-5 months ago do it was around until just recently.. I hear they are still doing some private collection stuff under the pappy label but it's all existing stock. All of this is hearsay to me so you may certainly (and most likely do) know more than me about it.
    Well, I'm checking right now with some guys that know for sure eh at the last years of real Pappy was produced. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    From what I gather: If from Texas= Tito's is great. Regardless of taste, gotta support the homeboy??? Am I wrong?
    Correct. But it's actually really good. I don't do TX bourbon. My blind loyalty has it's bounds :)

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
    Cen-tex, tito's is a good vodka but Chopin (from Poland) is what's pictured. Tito's is a grain vodka and Chopin is a potato.
  • troutgeek
    Options
    Cen-Tex -- if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your meats when you lived up here?  Knoche's?  Brennan's (Jacobson Bro's)?  UW Provisions?  Just checking -- always looking for good sources.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-tex, tito's is a good vodka but Chopin (from Poland) is what's pictured. Tito's is a grain vodka and Chopin is a potato.
    oh, I am well aware of both, sadly enough
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Tito's in Ga. has grown in popularity and so has the price. Nothing wrong w that, I'm sure it's tasty, but it doesn't pay my bills so I'll stick w the Crown an Don Julio.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex -- if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your meats when you lived up here?  Knoche's?  Brennan's (Jacobson Bro's)?  UW Provisions?  Just checking -- always looking for good sources.
    Had a very tough time in Mad town which is why i opened my own shop. I bought the good stuff at whole foods. I loved it up there, but you guys are starved for good food (which is weird because i gained 30 lbs living there-probably all my afternoons in taverns getting hammered while eating brats and cheez whiz)

• troutgeek
    Options
    Well, we have good beer and brats at least! As for pork products, I usually go to a little butcher shop in Green Lake county. They have good prime ribs too. Brisket, however, is a rare find.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I never found a good brisket up there. Tough.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Tito's in Ga. has grown in popularity and so has the price. Nothing wrong w that, I'm sure it's tasty, but it doesn't pay my bills so I'll stick w the Crown an Don Julio.
    Titos and sprite zero is my drink of choice. I get it at Jax in Cumming GA for $25.98 a handle which I thought was pretty cheap for the quality of it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Beer is an essential.  What is you favorite beer or any other beverage while your grilling.
    I'm confused. Do you mean the beer I like when I'm cooking pork, or the beer I like when I'm cooking beef? Or, geez, chicken pieces and brats at the same time? Or when I start 72 hr short ribs in the SV, or when I finish them w. a sear on the Egg? Or when its 6 a.m. and the butt is already done before breakfast?

Really, this is a toughy to answer. Maybe if i just had a growler of Dark Lord, I could figure it out.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    For me it depends on what I am grilling;  Anything with a jerkspice is going to be a Red Stripe.  For other cooks,  a nice Belgian or German wheat is typical.
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    Options
    For there are two, Corona and the other is Rickards Red which I believe is very similar to the New Castle
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    My favorite is made by Iron Horse Brewery out of Ellensburg, Wa and it is called Quilter's Irish Death. Other favorites are Der Blokken (Bremerton, Wa) Double Black Porter, and any thing made by Kona Brewing Company.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Founder's Porter, though it does not ship to Cali.  I have found that Michigan, Colorado, and California have so many good microbreweries.  Recently had Sierra Nevada Knock on Wood at an imperial stout fest and it was super good.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    Options
    interesting (maybe only to me) point for thought re: IPAs....

note that Bass Ale is an IPA, made to their recipe from (I think) 1777.

Recipes from the period call for huge amounts of hops, and when they were rediscovered during the uptick in craft brewing the past 25 years or so, they were taken at face value.  IPAs were regarded as 'strong' then already, and have been getting stronger ever since.  many of the IPAs today are very aggressively hopped, with boasts about boiling times even, (60, 90 minutes, etc.).

But there's good evidence the amount of hops used then was for dry hopping, and/or that it was all stale hops, and more mild (less fragrant).  If it's dry hopped and stale, it isn't going to make the beer any more fragrant or bitter, and was done solely to preserve the beer (one of the original reasons for hops in the first place) during its long trip around Africa to India.

And again, the only maker that i know of who originally made it for the India market and who has been making it continuously since then, Bass, makes a decidedly un-bitter and not overly fragrant beer.  And it's an IPA (check the label).

Now, I like a nice strong IPA, I'm a hop-head, but it strikes me funny that the chase is on for making the most bitter, fragrant, highly hopped IPA out there, which results in something that isn't really an IPA at all.

It's like dog breeding, and barbecue competitions.  No one usually makes the bbq that way for themselves, but rather to please the judges (balls of re-skinned chicken?), and the competition has steered things in a direction which dictates falling in line, or falling out.  Same for dogs.  Taking the thing to an extreme results in a dachshund on one end and an Airedale on the other.

You end up with a cartoon version of something fairly unrelated to what it started out as, all in an effort to praise the thing you started out trying to emulate and exalt in the first place.

irrelevant soapbox dismounted.

:))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Options

La Folie when available.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Will have to try that "Pliny the Elder" - sounds interesting!

And DAAAAANG - I'm surprised more folks aren't feeling the Yuengling... :-O

it's only the OLDEST continuous brewery in the history of our nation!!!!!  ^:)^
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    HH, my great grandfather has been making weak pale water continuously since the Eisenhower administration.  Not sure it's worth praising though.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigGreenJon
    BigGreenJon Posts: 45
    Options
    When I'm not drinking bourbon I'm usually enjoying an Innis & Gunn.  There are a few different flavors but basically they age their beer in bourbon or rum barrels for 2 1/2 months before bottling.  It's delicious!!!! =P~
    Lucky to have a LG Egg My Blog: http://manvsgrill.blogspot.com/
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited May 2012
    Options
    HH, my great grandfather has been making weak pale water continuously since the Eisenhower administration.  Not sure it's worth praising though.
    hahahaha touche~ ...

(but me likes it just the same)

P.S.  the Fat Tire that I like on the west coast is because of a special place it holds in my heart - during the cross-country road trip that I took to get out here, a buddy went w/ me.  We got "snowbound" in Tucumcari, NM (their idea of "snowbound" was less than 2" of snow). 

Anyway, whole area shut down, nothing for 100+ miles, so we were "stuck" in Tucumcari - had plenty of time to kill - went to local watering hole, asked what was good on tap.  Bartender said a lot of folks like Fat Tire - we were like "what? Flat Tire?"  She poured us each a glass & slid them over & said, here, try it - if ya don't like it, ya don't have to pay for it... well, FF to about 10-11 Fat Tires, a PIECE later...

We decided we liked it...

Ahhhhh, Six Shooter's Saloon on historic Route 66 in Tucumcari, NM... memories :-)  ^:)^
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    The gf LOVES 1554 and Yuengling.  We love all the Russian River stuff near here.  Great hoppy and sour beers.