Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever smoked beef tongue?

2»

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My wife is going to be thrilled but this thread has got me extremely curious. 
    Tongue does not cook like most meats. If not cooked enough, it will be quite tough, although very flavorful. It took me a couple of times to get it right. I'd guess that there is more connective tissue in it on the whole than ribs, but it is distributed in a fine network. Once cooked to gel, the finished textures isn't like most meats. Among the people I've offered it to, most have enjoyed the flavor, but a lot find the texture strange, and so, off-putting. Well, more for me, I guess.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I'll ask my mother how she used to cook this and I'll post it back, I only remember red wine and lots of bay leaves in a slow cook. Great taste and texture.
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26
    There is a very simple way to cook cow tounge barbacoa style and I guarantee that they and even you will love it. All you do is wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and smoke it at 250 degrees for 8 hours. Then pull it off the grill and peel the thick outer layer of the tounge off(feed the dog) and shred the inside meat. Add a little salt and salsa and throw it in a tortilla and you will eat it like for the rest of your life.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

Sorry can't do beef tounge.  Could ya still cook on the egg after making tounge? Or would you have to buy a new one.... Just joking, the thought of what I would be eating is too much for me

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited May 2012
    If you've eaten a hot link, bologna or a weenie, you've probably eaten tongue...just sayin. Tongue is probably one of the ingredients you would be ok with, if you knew the others...
  • brentsee
    If you've eaten a hot link, bologna or a weenie, you've probably eaten tongue...just sayin. Tongue is probably one of the ingredients you would be ok with, if you knew the others...

Never thought of it that way, maybe your right.  Have to drink lots of beer and try it some day then

• If you've eaten a hot link, bologna or a weenie, you've probably eaten tongue...just sayin. Tongue is probably one of the ingredients you would be ok with, if you knew the others...
    so true. Call it something else and we'd all be lined up for it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SandBilly
    Anyone ever smoked brain? JK.... :))
  • brentsee

A good friend of mine eats beef balls..  There called prairie oysters around here.  No I haven.t tried them

• SandBilly
    Mountain oysters here, and they are good.
  • A good friend of mine eats beef balls..  There called prairie oysters around here.  No I haven.t tried them

Had them last week. Taste like awesome chicken fried steak.....but in the end, you know it's nuts and it's a little weird. I've had them dozens of times but I can't lie, I would rather have a chicken fried steak and be done with it. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Wow thanks for all the additional information everyone.  I'm going to go ahead and take the challenge, and hope for the best.  

I'll definitely make a thread once I get the meat in my possession and start the process.  Both to share pics, and for any last minute advice I might need.

Frank
  • popsbbq
    popsbbq Posts: 6

A Cajun finds himself in Northern US and misses his seafood. He goes to a restaurant and sees mountain oysters on the menu. He's thinking, "mountain oysters, Gulf of Mexico oysters, must be good stuff". He tells the waitress he wants an order and then ask her how many do you get? She says 2.  "Is that all? Bring me a dozen"

She says "a dozen?? you sure must like mountain oysters"  He said "lady, where I come from, we eat 'em right out of the sack"

yeah, I know, keep the day job.

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658

A Cajun finds himself in Northern US and misses his seafood. He goes to a restaurant and sees mountain oysters on the menu. He's thinking, "mountain oysters, Gulf of Mexico oysters, must be good stuff". He tells the waitress he wants an order and then ask her how many do you get? She says 2.  "Is that all? Bring me a dozen"

She says "a dozen?? you sure must like mountain oysters"  He said "lady, where I come from, we eat 'em right out of the sack"

yeah, I know, keep the day job.

:)) :))  Woo... thanks I need that!  I am not sure what they taste like, but I know the first feller to eat'em must have been hungry!  :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I am surprised, one of our regular posters (un named) would probably be suggesting aging it for 45 days. lol
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ....not if you have been paying attention his aging posts.
    :)>-
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Is the texture of the finished tongue like liver?

XLBGE 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    @popsbbq =))  good one
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Sorta off-topic, but not worth its own thread; I just looked at the ingredient list for a tube of Chorizo that I bought for breakfast, and the first ingredient is listed as:
    Beef (salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheek and tongue)),

:-O  

I'll still eat it, but wow... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Yeah I remember when lots of food like hotdogs said it contained beef lips, tongue, etc.  Now most labels have "mechanically separated beef and chicken".  Gotta love rebranding.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    My mom said she boils it in plain water for 1hr or more, "stab it with a fork and it should go in easily when it's done"
    Take out of water and let it cool down, not too much because it will be hard to clean. Take all the skin off then cut it in 1/2 inch slices. 
    Then she makes a sauce with tomato sauce, wine and olives. Saute some chopped onion, add a teaspoon of flour then a can of tomato sauce, 1 cup of white wine, 2 bay leaves, S& P. When boiling add the tongue and let it boil another minute or so. 
    She adds the "previously boiled separately" olives at the end along with very thin lemon slices (I need to get more details on the olives part)

• gdenby
    Is the texture of the finished tongue like liver?
    No, at least not any liver I've cooked. To me, well cooked liver has a dry, sort of granular feel. The small amount of slightly cooked liver I've had was just sort of squishy. Well cooked tongue is a little like bologna, and partially cooked tongue is somewhat like beef chuck, but with a different taste.
  • gdenby
    Take out of water and let it cool down, not too much because it will be hard to clean.
    Very true. I took some out of the freezer that I had already cooked, and partially peeled. It was almost as hard getting the skin off as if it hadn't been cooked.

Thank your Mom for the recipe. I think I will try it, but in 2 batches, one without the olives. I used some tongue in chili once, but simmered it for about 3 hours. The tongue just turned to mush. I'll bet the briefer cook works better.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Sorta off-topic, but not worth its own thread; I just looked at the ingredient list for a tube of Chorizo that I bought for breakfast, and the first ingredient is listed as:
    Beef (salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat (cheek and tongue)),

:-O  

I'll still eat it, but wow... 
    I remember as a kid seeing Beef lips as an ingredient on Slim-Jims. 
    I mentioned it to my sister, and she did the only thing a big sister could do, and she tried to ruin some of my favorite foods. :)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I also grew up on beef tongue, was always a treat at our house. Mom just simmered in a pot with onions, celery and carrots. I now add some garlic & peppercorns. Have never even thought of smoking one until now. We always had it hot when freshly made and the rest was always sliced and cold. Delicious either way. So, am I correct that 10 min. in pressure cooker, skinning and cooking low-n-slow on the egg to 195F is the plan?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.