Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite beer

jjmills
jjmills Posts: 117
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I think that I can speak for a lot of people who love grilling.  Beer is an essential.  What is you favorite beer or any other beverage while your grilling.  I know this has been a topic before but what the hell its a good topic.  I'm a pale ale guy.  New Glarus is a brewery in WI.  They have a pale ale called Moon Man!  A-1 stuff.
 LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I like birch a little more than root.
  • Love new Glarus. I owned a beer and wine retail shop in WI for a while so i LOVE beer. However, the older I get, the less beer I can drink. I guess my fave beer is...............Chimay Grande Reserve. My favorite libation however....Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon (my it rest in peace)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jjmills
    New Glarus has blown up.  I love all the flavors they have.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    I'm by no means a beer snob, anything works for me as long as it is cold. My drink of choice Maker's Mark.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Wow, this is a tough one. I'm drinking Shock Top right now. I just finished off a keg of Troegs Mad Elf last week. Great winter brew, but too heavy for summer. I've got Shock Top & Landshark on tap now.

Fred Red from the Blue & Grey Brewing Co. In Fredericksburg, VA is also on the favorites list.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • New Glarus has blown up.  I love all the flavors they have.
    We carried everything they had. Squirrel nut brown and spotted cow were my faves back then
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Huge IPA guy. Think my favorite right now is Stone IPA
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433

When I'm grilling, I always want a beer in my hand. I'm happy with any good Stout or IPA, preferably double IPA or Imperial stout.  As for specific brewers, I love Bells Two hearted ale (IPA) and their Kalamazoo and Expedition stouts.  Stone makes great "Yellow Snow IPA". Nothing wrong with a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA either, which I can get easier here.

Frank

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Stone Ruination is great beer.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    edited May 2012

Stone Ruination is great beer.

Absolutely, it's another one of my favorites I keep on rotation.  I favor the Yellow Snow IPA because I can get it in Growler size, or mini 5 liter kegs.  I actually turned one of the mini kegs into a bucket to soak wood chips.

I just picked up 3 bottles of Stone russian Imperial stout that is great as well.

Frank

• jjmills
    Cen-Tex where did you have your Liquor store?  Chubbs you should take check out Red Hook ipa. 
  • smoloney
    smoloney Posts: 30
    sample all micro brews I can that are on the golden or lager side, had the great lakes lager over the weekend very good

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Not to many beers I like more than this one:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    The one in my hand
  • Cen-Tex where did you have your Liquor store?  Chubbs you should take check out Red Hook ipa. 
    It was not liquor.Just beer/Wine,  boar's head deli, primo meats and seafood, and a restaurant in Appleton. Very expensive hobby.

• I'm with Smoke....love Newcastle
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    The fifth one.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    oh if I could get my hands on some two-hearted pale ale right now.....
  • I like any beer that does not use cascade hops. (IPAs use cascade and I don't like them) I prefer ice cold stout. My favorite is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Rolling Rock,But my cocktail of choice is 7&7
    LET'S EAT
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Russian River 'Pliny the Elder'
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Life is too short for light/lite beer...Free leaded beer is good...Cold free leaded beer is great...and as mentioned above-the one in my hand right now is the current favorite.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    My IPA home-brews are pretty tasty.  Commercial brews,  most any Bells IPA, especially the seasonal HopSlam (tap way better than bottle).  Lagunitas Maximus, Lagunitas Little Sumpin' and a lesser known MI brew Founders Centennial IPA.

Now that I am in TN bourbon is making a nice place in my heart, too many good ones to name.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Love new Glarus. I owned a beer and wine retail shop in WI for a while so i LOVE beer. However, the older I get, the less beer I can drink. I guess my fave beer is...............Chimay Grande Reserve. My favorite libation however....Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon (my it rest in peace)

I'm a big Van Winkle fan-their 12 year old is as good as it gets-so much so that they are exporting most of it out of state so very scarce here in KY.  Think I'll have a splash now.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I haven't met too many I didn't like, except for the ones with fruit. I travel for business a good bit so anything local and fresh is good to me. While at home, Sweetwater, a local Atlanta brewery turns out some very good ale.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Russian River 'Pliny the Elder'
    OHHHHH my goodness.  I've had the pleasure of sampling all of 6 bottles of this beer.  One of the best I've ever had.  Alas, my source is gone, I wouldn't even know where to find it.  That simple green and red label is so deceiving. 
  • I'm drinking the 18 but you can't get Pappy anymore :(. They sold all of their stock though to Jefferson and the best Pappy is now sold under the Jefferson Presidential Select 18 year label. This is apparently all 18 year and above and the last of the Pappy stock to be had. Grab it while you can.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I homebrew a bunch too B&B...I'm enjoying a homebrewed IPA right now....

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Duvel

Have you tried Golden Monkey from Victory Brewers in PA? Almost identical flavor profile.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA