Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1001st Pork Question

Options
Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So my wonderful wife went to Costco to purchase me some meat for cookin. She picked up a 10lb pork shoulder...problem is that it was individually wrapped into 2.5 smaller shoulders. Will this impact the way I cook them? Obviously don't leave them on as long...but I've never successfully cooked something that small. They're usually 4-8 lbs.

Thoughts?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Take a look at the "two pork butts" thread running a few posts down-good staring point.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you will cook them just as long

cutting a hot dog in half doesn't speed the cook time
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Hooray, MORE BARK!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Royal Coachmen
    Options
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

2.5 lb's   -- are you sure that wasn't an elbow instead of a shoulder?   Or did I missread that.

Cookin in Texas
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    The OP said they thought they had a10 pound shoulder. Turns out they were 2.5 pounds. Gonna cook them just as long? Haven't heard that one before...
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The OP said they thought they had a10 pound shoulder. Turns out they were 2.5 pounds. Gonna cook them just as long? Haven't heard that one before...
    At the risk of casting doubts upon stike's beautifully written play (in 3 acts) on this matter that he wrote earlier today (hilarious- if you didn't see it, look it up) I'm still skeptical that a 2.5 lb butt cooks in the same time as a 10 lb butt. I just can't wrap my dumb head around that one. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I would think it would be based on the thinnest cross section. As with a hotdog, same diameters will take the same time to cook no matter how long they are.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    But one of those hotdogs is not 4x larger than the other. Cut a hotdog in half, you have 2 equal halves. Make one hotdog 4x larger than the other and it will take much longer to heat the middle of the larger dog , yes?
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I guess next I will start cooking turkeys and cornish hens together. :)
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stike
    Options
    I believe jnsead of ten pound butts, he has 2 butts which weigh 5 pounds

Given the near universal way these things are sold, I doubt he has a package with four 2.5 pound butts

More likely a typo, and that's why i answered it as though he meant he had two 5-pounders

He could have four 2.5s, and they may cook faster, sure

But in general, with butts weighing between 5-7 pounds, two at a time, you wont notice a difference in cook time

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ah. Makes a big difference. I was thinking he somehow got little roasts or something.
  • stike
    Options
    And please understand, i never said two butts of different sizes would take the same amount of time.

Two butts of the same size will not take appreciablu longer to cook than one butt of the same size

And within reason, cutting something like a whole prime rib in half (or a whole tenderloin or rack of lamb, etc) won't make it cook faster because the heat works in from the short dimension, not the ends (hot dog cut in half analogy).

Cutting a pork butt in half is a little different, but even then the plateau is enough to drag out the cook to the point where cutting a butt in half wouldnt cut cook time in half. Might shave some time off, sure.

Dont think i ever said a 2.5 butt would take as long to cook as a ten pounder. But if i did, i blame the good folks at the distillery

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nah, I misunderstood the size of the butts. I think we are all on the same page here. Still laughing at the play. My whole family read it last night and my 17 year old said "who the F is this guy"? I said nobody knows son...nobody.

• stike
    Options
    i copied most of it from Beckett.  his little know barbecue period
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I'm reporting back. (sorry for the delay I'm keeping up with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife). The pulled pork was the best round I've prepared! Moist, just the right smoke and bark! Thanks for all the help,
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cool. Glad it worked out and I'm still glad we got a play out of the deal. Nice job!