Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Craigs list egg

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Found an XL on Craigslist for $600. Has a cracked firebox, missing ceramic cap, and needs a new grid. Good deal? I have an XL already, but my buddy is in the market for an egg.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Offer 500 and it's a steal. Even make friends with the guy and get him to call up and warranty out a fire box

XLBGE 
  • cortguitarman
    500 is the number I had in mind. VIA email, the guy said that he is the original owner, but doesn't have paperwork, never registered it, and his dealer has gone under. He said BGE wouldn't help him.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I sent pics to my dealer in Austin and they didn't ask any questions. I am the original owner but I didn't buy it at my current shop (lived out of state at the time). They sent my pics to BGE and BGE sent my parts. I just installed them all tonight: nex box, fire grate, and ring- from BGE with no questions asked i have a hard time beleiving BGE wont help him when they did this for me within the week

You could ask him to try as it is within hir right to have it repaired under warranty. If not, go price the parts and take that off your offer it might motivate him to get it fixed before selling.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    Lol. What are you live in?? We could start a bidding war.

Just kidding,
    But if it was close to me I'd buy it. I check out our Craigslist all the time. Never found a deal on one.

XLBGE 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    A cracked firebox will not change the way it operates. Buy it
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Not a good deal. I got a never used lg w/nest and 20lb bag of BGE lump for $425 off craigslist two weeks ago. THAT is a good deal. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    @ Tweev_tip I guess it is yours. I was asking for advice on the forum because my buddy is looking to get his first egg. I'm feeling bad now because he was really jazzed about this deal. Now, because of me asking for advice from the forum, it'll be gone. Enjoy your egg.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Found an XL on Craigslist for $600. Has a cracked firebox, missing ceramic cap, and needs a new grid. Good deal? I have an XL already, but my buddy is in the market for an egg.
    If you have a warrantied XL, you can get the guy a new firebox.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited April 2012
    You can't post an add on a public forum and not expect an interested buyer, especially one that the item for sale is exactly what the forum is about.
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Especially when the seller is on the forum!!
  • cortguitarman
    @Tweev_tip If my buddy doesn't pull the trigger, I'll let you know.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MrCookingNurse
    Wow guys let's have a little class. Yea he posted it on a public forum but even if you want it could have the decency to give him first option to back out. Pretty lame to steal it out from under someone just wanting advice.

Just my 2¢

XLBGE 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    could be they were 'just kidding' too.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Found an XL on Craigslist for $600. Has a cracked firebox, missing ceramic cap, and needs a new grid. Good deal? I have an XL already, but my buddy is in the market for an egg.
    If you have a warrantied XL, you can get the guy a new firebox.

I kindly disagree. Committing warranty fraud like this only drives up the price for future customers. Kind of like shoplifting.
  • cortguitarman
    @odie91 I agree with you. However, I would think that BGE would replace the firebox for the seller who is the original owner. He said they couldn't help him because he was missing the original paper work and his dealer is out of business. This is surprising, but I can see BGE'S side of things.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • @oldie91 there is no fraud. The unit is currently broken and in the ownership of the original purchaser. Replacement of the broken component is justified. End of story.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • odie91
    Yeah didn't see the comment about current owner not bring able to get service. My bad.
  • I still find it strange that just this week i received full warranty replacement parts on my egg from a shop I didn't even buy it from with not one single question asked by the shop or BGE as to how old it was or if I was the original owner. This guy sounds like he does not want to mess with it which I think is an opportunity to price the parts, show him the invoice and take that off the $600 (or at least split it). Sounds like a guy who wants this thing out of his yard to me. 

I could be wrong and BGE smelled a rat somehow but I'm guessing he never called and just wants it gone
  • odie91
    The firebox still looks usable anyways. Although I would offer less than $600 due to the crack.
  • frankie482
    I still find it strange that just this week i received full warranty replacement parts on my egg from a shop I didn't even buy it from with not one single question asked by the shop or BGE as to how old it was or if I was the original owner. This guy sounds like he does not want to mess with it which I think is an opportunity to price the parts, show him the invoice and take that off the $600 (or at least split it). Sounds like a guy who wants this thing out of his yard to me. 

I could be wrong and BGE smelled a rat somehow but I'm guessing he never called and just wants it gone

I am the owner. I emailed them and told them my story. This Egg was gifted to me and was never registered. The dealer is no longer a dealer and didnt have any records. I just emailed Bruce Bohannon yesterday and have not heard back yet. I was dealing with someone else before, but Bruce usually takes care of me so I went to him directly.

Not sure why I feel the need to explain myself. I have a large, mini and an XL primo. I don't really need to sell this, just don't use it that much.
  • odie91
    edited April 2012

I think warranty claims get taken care of by someone else now... not Bruce. When I had to file a claim, a friendly gentleman named Duane got back to me.

• frankie482
    Duane was the guy who said I needed the original receipt or no go on the warranty. I explained to him my situation and he said I could not be helped. It was my first Egg and I didn't know any different to ask about the thing being registered. Both Eggs I have bought are registered.
  • Cen-Tex, I think you are wrong.  $600 is super cheap for that deal.
    It is a good deal, no doubt. But if the guy does not want to deal with the BS (and I don't think he does) it could be better. I would buy it today for the $600 (if he said no to my request that he split the cost of the parts). Just saying I smell wiggle room :)

• I still find it strange that just this week i received full warranty replacement parts on my egg from a shop I didn't even buy it from with not one single question asked by the shop or BGE as to how old it was or if I was the original owner. This guy sounds like he does not want to mess with it which I think is an opportunity to price the parts, show him the invoice and take that off the $600 (or at least split it). Sounds like a guy who wants this thing out of his yard to me. 

I am the owner. I emailed them and told them my story. This Egg was gifted to me and was never registered. The dealer is no longer a dealer and didnt have any records. I just emailed Bruce Bohannon yesterday and have not heard back yet. I was dealing with someone else before, but Bruce usually takes care of me so I went to him directly.

Not sure why I feel the need to explain myself. I have a large, mini and an XL primo. I don't really need to sell this, just don't use it that much.
    sorry dude. No need to explain. Sounded different to meover the interweb (Imagine that). Sucks that they gave you so much grief when I was shocked that they didn't ask me for anything
  • frankie482
    I am really upset. I buy these things because of how great they are and realize you get what you pay for. I don't mind paying the extra money because I realize the warranty is part of the price. I was new when I received this and didn't realize anything about the warranty. Live and learn I guess. I can buy the parts but if the outer shell ever breaks I'm screwed.
  • I don't blame you one bit and I did not mean to disparage your situation. Mine was different so it sounded like something was up. I did not mean to fuel the fire any more. My bad.
  • odie91
    I just wonder how long this business model will be sustainable.  Even with the increase in price over the years, it's going to be tough finding the funds to fulfill warranty claims...
  • I just wonder how long this business model will be sustainable.  Even with the increase in price over the years, it's going to be tough finding the funds to fulfill warranty claims...
    There is a very high margin on all of their products. That is what makes the business sustainable. Now, if they spend all their revenue as soon as it is earned, accumulate debt, and pay interest on liabilities instead of earning interest on assets... yep they will piss a sweet business away. Lot of companies do it these days. Unfortunately that how people live their personal lives so it carries over into their professional decision making. I think if you are a CEO or CFO with a mortgage, that's a really bad omen.
  • Well....I'm a big believer in taking your medicine when it's due. Thought about sending you a PM but I said what I said in public and I'll apologize the same way.

Frankie, I apologize for talking out of school about your deal. It looked completely different to me than what it turned out to be because of my recent experience with my warranty this week.

I hope you'll accept my apology.

• frankie482
    Well....I'm a big believer in taking your medicine when it's due. Thought about sending you a PM but I said what I said in public and I'll apologize the same way.

Frankie, I apologize for talking out of school about your deal. It looked completely different to me than what it turned out to be because of my recent experience with my warranty this week.

I hope you'll accept my apology.

No need to apologize. I'm not mad at you. Everyone is able to have an opinion that not everyone likes. My main concern is getting this situation taken care of. I just put up for sale cause I don't use it that much and finding out it wasn't warrantied didn't help either. Apparently the dealer did not give my uneggucated parents any info about the warranty at purchase. They dropped the ball which makes me mad, not you.