Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn on the Cob Newbie

NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to cook corn on the cob for the first time today --  I usually roast it in the oven at 450F.  
I did a quick search in the archives and it looks like a lot of you leave the husks on, but soak in water first.  I think that's the way I'm leaning... 

Should I go raised grid or indirect?  All advice greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you are soaking I don't see how raised gid or not would make much difference. I do most stuff raised  cause the rig is already in there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Steve get your glasses before you reply...sorry direct raised or normal grid level

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I do husk on, no soak and reg direct until the husk had some char on it. I find it's pretty hard to mess up.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I do husk on, no soak and reg direct until the husk had some char on it. I find it's pretty hard to mess up.

+1
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I do husk on, no soak and reg direct until the husk had some char on it. I find it's pretty hard to mess up.
    Thanks!  
    What temp?  Can I still cook them at 450-500F like this? I read in the archives where some people were cooking at 250-300F.  I'd rather cook at a higher temp...
  • We leave the husks on but we peel it and remove the silk and then cover the corn back up with the husk. TFJ (The Fabulous Janell) says "the secret" to good grilled corn is a room temp soak for 30 minutes, grilled over higher heat for 15-20 min. We did this for a party a few weeks back and I thought it was really good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I used to do the soaked husk thing but last year just started doing shucked corn over direct at 400-450f for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently.

Both work, I just find the shucked method faster and easier.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    4-500 is fine.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I used to do the soaked husk thing but last year just started doing shucked corn over direct at 400-450f for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently.

Both work, I just find the shucked method faster and easier.
    This^^^^

Tried several ways, but none have been better than just putting the corn on the grill (BTW, I use Grill Grates and they are wonderful).  About 425 and rotate about every two minutes.  The smoke flavor is awesome.
  • I'm a shucker. I've tried every possible way and nothing its easier than shucking. I would also argue that it tastes better because more flavor goes into the corn.

Just shuck it, oil it, grill it hot.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    edited April 2012
    I take off the husks and silk, rub cold stick butter on it, and then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Grill direct, rotating every now and then.  If the corn over cooks it will pop like popcorn.

I've served this to many people, almost all of them say it's the best grilled corn they have ever had.
    Frank
  • I take off the husks and silk, rub cold stick butter on it, and then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Grill direct, rotating every now and then.  If the corn over cooks it will pop like popcorn.

I've served this to many people, almost all of them say it's the best grilled corn they have ever had.
    Frank
    yep! butter and gaaawwwlic work too!
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • I've used this recipe from Wright Brand Bacon's website and it is great.  I'm not sure I've ever used Wright Brand Bacon but I do enjoy their recipe.  http://www.wrightbrand.com/recipe/wright-brand-bacon-backyard-corn

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I've used this recipe from Wright Brand Bacon's website and it is great.  I'm not sure I've ever used Wright Brand Bacon but I do enjoy their recipe.  http://www.wrightbrand.com/recipe/wright-brand-bacon-backyard-corn
    It's good bacon for the money................
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    I leave on husks, silk and all.  Cook direct 400-500F until there's some good char all around on the husks.

Really hard to mess up using this technique and it makes the best corn I've ever had.  You might want some gloves for the husking. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I like them NAKID!! Husk, then either rub with butter or spray with PAM, salt n pepper and maybe some Tony's or Sweamp Venom. Whatever temperature I'm using to grill the otehr stuff.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thank you for all of the feedback!  I ended up soaking and cooking direct at about 450F, turning often.  It was AWESOME!  Slight smoke flavor and that sweet caramelized flavor that I love.   The husks and silk came off without any trouble at all, too.  

Wright applewood bacon is the best I've eaten so far.  It's all I buy until I find something else.  Work, work, work... ;)
    Thanks for the recipe -- I'll try it! 
  • Doing corn this weekend....
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I tried something similar to this a few months ago, and it was great. I didn't use sour cream....just the mayo and butter. Adding some cilantro to roast inside the corn while the shuck is pulled back up adds a great extra flavor, too. Takes away anything healthy about corn, but delicious.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/mexican-grilled-corn-recipe/index.html
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Thank you for all of the feedback!  I ended up soaking and cooking direct at about 450F, turning often.  It was AWESOME!  Slight smoke flavor and that sweet caramelized flavor that I love.   The husks and silk came off without any trouble at all, too.  

Wright applewood bacon is the best I've eaten so far.  It's all I buy until I find something else.  Work, work, work... ;)
    Thanks for the recipe -- I'll try it! 
    Nueske's is the best bacon on the planet. We use Wrights most of the time because it's not $16 per lb like Nueske's is. We used to sell it (Nueske's) in our store and we got hooked on it. NYT calls Nueske's bacon "The Beluga (caviar) of Bacon" and they are right. Believe it or not though, Wrights isn't that far behind and it's less than half the price, so we use that most of the time. We still always go Nueske's on holidays and special occasions (the kids salivate for days waiting for it). If you can get it, try it. It's amazing. PS- To all my Austin/Dallas/Houston friends: CM carries it so give it a rip. 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited April 2012

Nueske's is the best bacon on the planet. We use Wrights most of the time because it's not $16 per lb like Nueske's is. We used to sell it (Nueske's) in our store and we got hooked on it. NYT calls Nueske's bacon "The Beluga (caviar) of Bacon" and they are right. Believe it or not though, Wrights isn't that far behind and it's less than half the price, so we use that most of the time. We still always go Nueske's on holidays and special occasions (the kids salivate for days waiting for it). If you can get it, try it. It's amazing. PS- To all my Austin/Dallas/Houston friends: CM carries it so give it a rip. 
    I was told once not to try Nueske's because I'd never eat anything else.  We go thru at least a pound of bacon a week... that will get expensive at $16/lb.  

:) ... I only said WE because you guys already think I'm a :@) ! LOL!
  • Wright applewood bacon is the best I've eaten so far.  It's all I buy until I find something else.  Work, work, work... ;)

I was told once not to try Nueske's because I'd never eat anything else.  We go thru at least a pound of bacon a week... that will get expensive at $16/lb.  

:) ... I only said we because you guys already think I'm a :@)
    It's really good. We ate nothing but for years (we were buying it wholesale). Wrights is a very serviceable sub though and I buy it at Sam's in double packs for like $4 per lb if I remember right. We still give it away to family for Christmas every year and they still line up for it. It's hilarious. Bacon? For Christmas? Thanks! Weird gift but they freaking love it. Too bad I'm paying twice as much as I was before now that I have to shop retail.

• Here is another fun one: 
    http://www.baconfreak.com/

Yes...baconfreak .com. Great name and good folks too

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Roasted Sweet Corn and Bacon in the same thread...  =P~

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Direct and no husk. Very light oil and S&P:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's one we did from the Foodnetwork, it was very good and easy.

Ingredients

• 8 ears corn
    • 4 fresh limes, quartered
    • Garlic butter, recipe follows
    • 1/2 cup grated cotija cheese
    • 2 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish

Directions

Preheat grill to medium. Peel back the husks of the corn without removing them. Remove the silks and recover the corn with the husk. Soak in large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. Remove corn from water and shake off excess. Place the corn on the grill, close the cover and grill for 15 to 20 minutes.

Unwrap corn and brush with the garlic butter. Sprinkle with the cotija cheese and squeeze with lime. Sprinkle with chopped chives, to garnish.

Garlic Butter:

• 2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened
    • 8 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
    • 1/4 habanero pepper, seeded
    • 1/4 bunch fresh chives
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine butter, garlic, habanero, and chives in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to use.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Thank you for all of the feedback! 
    Nueske's is the best bacon on the planet. We use Wrights most of the time because it's not $16 per lb like Nueske's is. 
    The best bacon in America comes from http://patakmeats.com/Patak_Meats/Price_List.html (Slab Bacon $3.89/lb) and I'm lucky enough to live 15 minutes from the place. We regularly see license plates from TX, VA, NC, SC, FL in the parking lot. Only problem is that there is always a 2 hour wait to get in the building.
  • Patak is a cool place -- my brother lives in Marietta and takes me there when I visit.  
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009

:) ... I only said WE because you guys already think I'm a :@) ! LOL!
    I live in Wisconsin (about 2.5 hrs from Nueskes) we drive up to Nueskes..buy 25 pounds of the #2 bacon (not perfect)....for $12.50 a 5lb bag...nothing like it

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI