Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Appetizers ?!?!?!?!?

Options
NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I am trying to think outside the box and would like some input on appetizers, or finger foods if you will, to do on the Egg. I love anything chicken and also like bacon. Kristi and Centex Smoker have had great discussions lately about chicken wrapped items and I would like to expand this topic to other fun finger foods that would be great for a get together with friends on the back patio. I am open to all and any input on any type of finger food. Beef, chicken, shrimp whatever. Thanks everyone!!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• Slobberdog
    Options
    Bacon wrapped scallops dipped in garlic butter are tasty.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    ABTs are always a great hit. Bacon wraped shrimp. Chocolate covered bacon, good stuff.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Bacon wrapped pitted dates.
    If you want you can stuff the date with an almond.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Moink balls. Bacon wrapped meat balls
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Big fan of bacon wrapped shrimp brushed with your fave BBQ sauce. Or a really nice sausage cut into bites with dipping sauce.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    YUM! Great suggestions so far -- can't go wrong with ABTs or bacon wrapped everything!

Stuffed Mushrooms are another thought -- easy & can be stuffed with just about anything you have on-hand. I didn't do these on the BGE but I will next time.

Stuffed Mushrooms with Goat Cheese & Pancetta
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options

Like Cen-Tex said sausage is hard to beat and make meatballs is always good

imageimage

Another way is just put on a ham and cut right off the egg. Have Kings or biscuits ready.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Jalapeño Shrimp Rumaki in Szechuan sauce.  Main dish or appetizer with smaller shrimp.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Okay, VI -- that did it.   <drooling> 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    Options
    After seeing your backyard, I DO deliver !!!!   :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Jalapeño Shrimp Rumaki in Szechuan sauce.  Main dish or appetizer with smaller shrimp.

I did something similar recently with shrimp, sage, prosciutto, and shredded parm. Very tasty!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    edited April 2012
    Options

My New
    favorite BGE cooked finger food is:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Maple Bacon
    Wrapped Dill pickles.

Cut dills
    into bite sized pieces

Wrap a piece
    of maple smoked bacon around the pickles and secure with a tooth pick

Marinade in
    Maple Syrup over night (you can use 50/50 maple syrup and pancake syrup as
    maple is expensive)

I grill them
    in foil pie plates over direct heat until the bacon is crispy. They are a hug
    hit!!

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    After seeing your backyard, I DO deliver !!!!   :D
    PARTY at my house!!   <:-P
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Here's another one -- Peel & Eat Shrimp with Cilantro, Lime & Pistachios:

Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro, Lime & Pistachios
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Bacon wrapped artichoke hearts. Even people who generally don't eat artichoke like these.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options

Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro, Lime & Pistachios

That looks awesome. I'd like some more details on that.
    Boom
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    That looks awesome. I'd like some more details on that.
    The original recipe came from Martha Stewart -- I changed it up a bit.  
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Oh baby. Keep the ideas coming. I'm loving all the feedback and ideas!! Great stuff guys!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Turtle Eggs!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Oh baby. Keep the ideas coming. I'm loving all the feedback and ideas!! Great stuff guys!!
    I agree, I use my egg mostly for big meat. I want to start doing appetisers

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    google shrimp lejon, i use prosciutto instead of bacon. go heavy with the horseradish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ronfrost
    ronfrost Posts: 3
    Options
    One of the favorites around here I call Bacon and Blue Shrimp.  I devein some 16 count or bigger shrimp cutting atleast halfway through the shrimp after deveining.  I then put them in a container to soak in some Franks Redhot for an hour or two,  Then I stuff them with some blue cheese.  I like to use crumbled blue cheese and form it into a cone shape and then stuff it into the cut shrimp.  I then wrap the shrimp in some partially cooked bacon using a toothpick to hold it together.  I then give them a final basting of the Franks before putting them on the grill to cook until the bacon is done.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    One of the favorites around here I call Bacon and Blue Shrimp.  I devein some 16 count or bigger shrimp cutting atleast halfway through the shrimp after deveining.  I then put them in a container to soak in some Franks Redhot for an hour or two,  Then I stuff them with some blue cheese.  I like to use crumbled blue cheese and form it into a cone shape and then stuff it into the cut shrimp.  I then wrap the shrimp in some partially cooked bacon using a toothpick to hold it together.  I then give them a final basting of the Franks before putting them on the grill to cook until the bacon is done.
    *incoming "meat glue" advice in 3..... 2..... 1.....*

MMM.... sounds great.  I've always found shrimp to be a pain to stuff though.  Never tried blue cheese, but I've done Jalapeno's and Jack cheese stuffed shrimp, they were def. a blast.

Wings, ABTs, and shrimp are my usual appetizers.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    *incoming "meat glue" advice in 3..... 2..... 1.....*

MMM.... sounds great.  I've always found shrimp to be a pain to stuff though.  Never tried blue cheese, but I've done Jalapeno's and Jack cheese stuffed shrimp, they were def. a blast.

Wings, ABTs, and shrimp are my usual appetizers.
    Ha-Ha. No more meat glue advice (although I just ordered a 2lb bag this morning). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    BRush00  -- thanks!!