Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now my gasket is really fried...and falling off

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
The past weekend I thought I would do a burnout for a couple hours to clean my much needed platesetter and the internals of my egg.  It worked like a charm, letting it just burn out the rest of my lump after a cook and platesetter is white like new.  I did smell a chemical smell when I went out to the Egg, but figured it might be the grease and drippings burning.  When I finally opened my Egg (when temp was down to around 350, my gasket literally peeled away on the top, just hanging there. Toasted.

I'm not comfortable going gasket free, although I respect that it is some peoples wish to do so.  So I've spent the last few nights reading about all the different gasket options, ranging from the BGE replacement you can get for free, and the Rutland, Cotronics, Hi Que, etc.  I've probably only done 10-20 high temp cooks on my egg, the rest being under 400 degrees, and I'm hoping to get a gasket that lasts at least a year, hopefully many years.  

It's like reading about cooking a brisket, there is TOO MUCH INFORMATION!! So I get confused with all the options, then also the options in gluing the gasket on.  Some use the adhesive backed gaskets like Hi Que, then reviews say the adhesive fails rapidly even though the gasket is good. I hear about using Permatex to adhere it, then some use a spray adhesive.  Rutland seems to be a mixed camp based on their admission that it isn't for food items.  I haven't seen anyone personally post about the Cotronics gasket, but it looks interesting.

I know this is like asking which car is the best to buy, but in some ways I'm looking for personal experience since I am so new to the Egg.  Can some of you who have replaced gaskets tell me how well your replacement is doing?

Again, I get that some prefer to just leave the gasket off, but I'd rather have it on, so I respectfully decline that suggestion.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I've never hear of a Rutland gasket applied with Permatex Ultra Copper needing a replacement.  That's what I did and it's been perfect for a year or so now.  I even had a free replacement Nomex sent to me,  but after doing a lot of research, I decided to go with the "permanent" solution and go with the Rutland.  So far so good...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I've never hear of a Rutland gasket applied with Permatex Ultra Copper needing a replacement.  That's what I did and it's been perfect for a year or so now.  I even had a free replacement Nomex sent to me,  but after doing a lot of research, I decided to go with the "permanent" solution and go with the Rutland.  So far so good...
    x2 Rutland is the way to go in my opinion.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I put a Rutland on pretty much right away for the reasons choke says....and it is totally fine after many very high heat cooks...here's a recent pic...
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited April 2012
    same here.  i tried the rutland with the rutland furnace cement that comes in the kit, and it cleaved off cleanly.  it's water-based, and i think the ceramic wicks the water too quickly before it had a chance to cure.  literally peeled it off with one hand, squirted a not-too-fussy line of permatex around the rim, and reapplied the rutland (which had its own cement still attached, bedded in the fibers).

that was five years ago, and the gasket is immovable. through ice storms, high temp cooks, high temp cleanout, etc.

this issue with the rutland is that it has not been TESTED for use around food.  all health claims against it are speculation (both ways, good or bad), because it hasn't been tested

not sure if the cotronics gasket has been tested either, but it is ceramic fiber.  rutland is glass fiber.  have to think ceramic fibers would be in the same camp with glass.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I did my BGE nomex replacement about a month ago. Not a problem with it yet. I don't trust the high que only because its a peel and stick application. I made sure I thoroughly, and I mean very thoroughly cleaned my egg prior to gasket replacement. To the point that I took 40 grit sandpaper and sanded down the egg to get it perfectly clean. Used the super 77 and it worked like a charm. Sprayed both the gasket and the egg. Waited about 3-5 minutes than started applying it. I staggered my gaps, but I don't think it was necessary. If this one ever fails, which I'm sure over time it will. I will likely do the rutland gasket. But I got the nomex for free.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Well, you didnt ask for it but, here is my two cents. No gasket = permanant and problem free. I understand you do not want to go gasketless and thats cool. I would like to encourge you to identify why you dont want one. "because it makes me feel better" is a very valid reason, it's just not based on fact or evidence.

I dont mean to be pushy, just trying to help.

:ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    If it makes him feel better thatcertainly is a fact and his smiles would qualify as evidence. ;)
    I guess. But you get what im saying. Once agian, only trying to help.
    X_X
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    I put on Rutland gasket.  Works great.  A small part is becoming unglued.  I have thrown away the extra glue.  What can I use to glue down a 2 inch section of the gasket?  Thx.
    __________ Chris
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    P E R MA T E X
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • robbyroy
    robbyroy Posts: 1
    What size Rutland gasket did you use?  Was it flat or round?  Did you use it on both surfaces?  Where did you buy it?

Thanks!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    5/8, flat, only one side needs to be done...your preference. I bought mine by the foot at a fireplace/spa/patio store.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    What size Rutland gasket did you use?  Was it flat or round?  Did you use it on both surfaces?  Where did you buy it?

Thanks!
    What Mighty_Quinn said.  Also, what size egg do you have?  If you have a Large or smaller, you can buy the 84" kit from most hardware stores.  If you have an XL, the kit won't work because you need about 94". Just an FYI.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• FxLynch

Thanks for all the input guys, I believe I will order a rutland and be done with it.  What is the exact adhesive I should use?  Permatex copper? And if so, are there different types?  Just looking to do it correct the first time.

Thanks,

Frank

• Mighty_Quinn
    Permatex ultra copper....you can pick up a tube at an auto part store for 7 or 8 bucks.
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    The only reason i would not go gasket less is because of low and slow cooks where you need a temp probe. After a few uses the leads would get squashed and simply short. The gasket/permatex solution is less than 20 USD. A temp probe is more expensive! I did half and half, lower is Rutlands with permatex and the top is factory. I have done pizza 5 times and the gasket is burnt only on the inside rim. I think the Rutlands helps to keep the heat away from the rest of the felt gasket. I think its going to last, but just because of the rutlands/permatex on the bottom.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited April 2012
    My gasket is pretty much fried as well... and although it seems like my Egg cooks (and cools) fine w/out it, I do plan on replacing my gasket .... eventually (it's just that I've got sooooo many other things on my "to do" list, that at this rate, I'll be dead b4 I get to replace my gasket) :))

That being said - if I happen to MAKE some time, when I do replace it - I'm planning on just using the Permatex Ultra Copper gasket material as the gasket itself (rather than use it as an "adhesive" for some other gasket material). 

There are those who have made molds, but methinks I'll just squeeze it on there, place some plastic wrap over top of it, then gingerly shut the lid & allow the weight of the lid to compress it & form a custom gasket which contours to the exact variations of my Egg. 

Eazzzy Peazzzy (at least I hope so, anyway) hehehe :))
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Went with the free one. No problems so far. After that who knows. Not that big a deal to put on.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • FxLynch
    Ok guys, thanks again for all the input.  I just ordered a rutland and the permatex copper.  Will be here in two days.  Any words of advice for installing it or advice on prepping surface for new gasket?
  • Ok guys, thanks again for all the input.  I just ordered a rutland and the permatex copper.  Will be here in two days.  Any words of advice for installing it or advice on prepping surface for new gasket?
    scrape the hell out of the old gasket, use acetone to remove the old adhesive, I even sand it after the acetone. You'll be ready to stick anything to it after that.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
      Any words of advice for installing it or advice on prepping surface for new gasket?
    I did it like this:
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I went with the free Nomex gasket from BGE. My Egg is new and I didn't want to do anything that might void the warranty. I also don't feel comfortable with the Rutland. Speculation or not, don't want fiberglass fibers that haven't been tested near my food. MIT seems like a great fix, but I just couldn't get comfortable with it until there was some type of testing done.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • I wish everyone didn't rave about the Rutland so much. It makes me want one. But I've worked with fiber optics enough to know what microscopic shards of glass cam do to your insides.

I'm gasket less right now personally but I'd really like something there providing a cushion.