Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Suckling Pig

Options
Rblument
Rblument Posts: 27
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have my BGE about 3 weeks and getting the hang. Thinking about my first big project - whole suckling pig. Good bonding time with my sons-in-law. I live in Wayne, PA, Philadelphia suburbs. Where can I get a pig. Can use all the suggestions in the world. Thinking indirect heat at about 250. How much time per pound. Thoughts? Applewood chips or not? Any links to suggested recipes will b most appreciated. I promise to take pics and post.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Irish devil did one last weekend. Dig that thread up and see if it helps.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Let me know how it comes out. I'd be interested in doing the same thing.
    Boom
  • Rblument
    Options
    Will do. Prob won't get around to it til after mothers day
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    Instead of the piglet. Try a whole shoulder. The difference between the shoulder and a butt is quite
    Noticeable. Also the whole shoulder should be easy to find.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Instead of the piglet. Try a whole shoulder. The difference between the shoulder and a butt is quite
    Noticeable. Also the whole shoulder should be easy to find.

When you say difference do you mean in price or taste? I want to try something like this soon and interested in shoulder or butt
    Boom
  • paulheels
    Options
    Where I am, there is a difference in both.  I can get butts on sale for $1.25/ lb typically and $.99 / lb a couple times a year.  I can always get shoulders for $1.59/ lb.  
    on the meat taste.  I can tell a difference in how moist and tender the meat is.  A buddy of mine started cooking whole shoulders and he says the same thing.  I believe it has to do with the full skin coverage on the bottom and more fat content.  

I get the shoulders in #80 box.  So, the shoulders average #20.  this last box had two at #21 and #22.5 lbs tho.  

thought that the shoulder might be easier to find. Hope that helps.

Paul
  • Rblument
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input and center thanks for the link to irishdvl's pig experience. Don't know whether it is worth it but may have to do it anyway to mollify son in law
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Where I am, there is a difference in both.  I can get butts on sale for $1.25/ lb typically and $.99 / lb a couple times a year.  I can always get shoulders for $1.59/ lb.  
    on the meat taste.  I can tell a difference in how moist and tender the meat is.  A buddy of mine started cooking whole shoulders and he says the same thing.  I believe it has to do with the full skin coverage on the bottom and more fat content.  

I get the shoulders in #80 box.  So, the shoulders average #20.  this last box had two at #21 and #22.5 lbs tho.  

thought that the shoulder might be easier to find. Hope that helps.

Paul

So shoulder = more tender and juicier?

If so I'll be looking to cook one in a week or two.
    I assume I'll need a plate setter or something? I just bought my egg about a month ago
    Boom
  • pratt
    pratt Posts: 9
    Options

as far where to get...you might want to try D'Angelo's in the Italian Market (http://www.dangelobros.com/).  They have alot of harder to get pieces of meat.  If you've never been there, check it out!   great oldschool butcher shop with an amazing variety of strange stuff

If they can't get one for you, I'm sure they could direct you where you can get one...

Also, you could try callling some butcher shops in the hispanic neighborhoods in north philly

• ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26
    Options
    Irish never posted pictures of his cooking on the egg.  I would love to see how it fits.
  • paulheels
    Options
    @Fan- yes, in my opinion, the meat in melt in your mouth better.  I used to cook shoulders all the time.  then I moved and could not find them, so I went to butts.  everytime I cooked a butt, I couldnt figure out what i was doing wrong.  Cause the meat was not as tender.  Once I went back to shoulders, I knew it was not anything I was doing, it was the meat.  So to do a little experiment, I did both and compared meat.  I also had a friend do the same.  We came to that conclusion.

Paul
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26
    Options
    I always thought Pork Shoulders and Pork Butts were the same thing?  Or are you actually talking about "Butt end" meaning the ham?
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I would say if I were to do it all over again I would try to somehow spatchcock the pig.  Perhaps cut the legs a bit and even take off the head and cook direct at 350 or so.  Don't get me wrong the meat was out of this world, but I am also a major fan of nice crispy edible skin.  I felt smoking a piglet was lie smoking a chicken, the meat is better (melt in your mouth), but the skin is useless.  So, while I loved the meat, I would have rather had skin as well - I mean who doesn't like pig skin?  I also probably would have injected it with something, the piglet is so small the meat could use a bit more flavor.  We did flavor it while it cooked, salt and apple juice etc...  but I feel a nice injection would have saved that from being needed.  
  • paulheels
    Options
    @shane- The shoulder is from the hock to the top of the shoulder blade on the front legs.  The "butt" is the top of the shoulder, the "picnic" is the bottom half of the shoulder.  The "ham" is the rear quarter rump.  So, most butts are in the 8-12 lb range, some larger, and picnics are 7-12 lbs; the whole shoulder can be 15-22lbs.  I have cooked on that was 24lbs, massive!

Hope that makes some sense.

Paul