Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

knife sharpener

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys, anyone using a knife sharpener they really love right now? I wore my old one out so I bought a new one, but I don't love it. Maybe it will grow on me but couldn't hurt to have 2 if there is something cool out there that I don't know about. Thoughts?

attached is the one I bought:
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    CT,

I use 3 stones and a barber's strop.  I bet I bought 9 different sharpeners in my time, and none of them were worth a .....  I took a 2 hour class on sharpening last year, and I can easily get a knife ultra razor sharp in very little time.  The bad part is that my wife has cut herself several times with them, once to the bone.  Sharp knives are dangerous in the kitchen.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• CT,

I use 3 stones and a barber's strop.  I bet I bought 9 different sharpeners in my time, and none of them were worth a .....  I took a 2 hour class on sharpening last year, and I can easily get a knife ultra razor sharp in very little time.  The bad part is that my wife has cut herself several times with them, once to the bone.  Sharp knives are dangerous in the kitchen.
    Thanks VI- I guess I'd better take a class. We have a dude that comes to the farmer's market in my hood every weekend and has the old school set up as you describe. Not sure what he charges but I would rather know how to myself. I'll look into it. Thanks for the input.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Been looking into stones myself lately.  Watched a bunch of videos on youtube on techniques.  Just haven't decided where to get them and which ones (1000, 5000, etc).  VI or anyone else, any recommendations on a certain brand of stones and which grit would work for the casual sharpener.
    Thanks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Course and fine ceramic stones, a Wichita stone, and a butcher's steel before each use.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Village Idiot
    COS and C-T,

I bought the Bob Kramer kit.  It's expensive, but if you look at good stones, they add up if you buy them individually.  The Kramer set comes with a great base that keeps the stones in place.  Cost $299.
    It has a 400 grit, a 1000 grit, and a 5000 grit stones.  I also took the class from Bob.  Great guy, and like he says, it isn't hard at all.  He has a couple of Youtube videos.

You don't learn anything in class that he doesn't cover in the video.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    edited April 2012
    I own this... though not sure I've quite 100% learned how to use it or spent the time to properly sharpen my knives... which really need sharpened....

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Have a guy just down from the "Inn" in Salado who makes high dollar custom knives. He will not take my money so every other time I bring over a bunch of knives I bring vodka. Whatever works.... He has the long straps on pullys and such.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    I use a spydy sharpener, best I've used yet. But I really want to learn how to use stones, hats off to those of you that can! @VI you crack me up dude! Love auld lang syne buddy! Keep on, keeping on!
  • Have a guy just down from the "Inn" in Salado who makes high dollar custom knives. He will not take my money so every other time I bring over a bunch of knives I bring vodka. Whatever works.... He has the long straps on pullys and such.
    Been to the Stagecoach many a time! man does that bring back the memories. 

Vodka as currency? What is this utopia you live in???? I'm drinking my savings away as we speak!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I found that I had trouble keeping an angle steady with just a stone. Bought an Edge Pro Apex, and practiced on a few 25 cent blades I picked up at 2nd hand stores before using on my better knives. (Turned out some of the 2nd hands actually had decent steel.) It will go down all the way to a 10 degree angle, and can use a variety of stones, diamond hones, and stropping plates. Also got a ceramic hone, because a few of my knives are harder than my steel hone.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker and have had good success with it.  Decent price with good results.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • I'm really shocked that this $20 POS I bought from the bottom shelf of the grocery store is not meeting my needs :))

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker and have had good success with it.  Decent price with good results.
    An excellent sharpening system.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I have Chefs Choice stainless electric 1520. Pricey but my knives are sharp.
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    If you have found an electric sharpener that makes your knives razor sharp, that's wonderful !  I never found one, and I'm sure I'd be using one today if I had.  However, since I have learned how to sharpen them manually by stoning, I will still do it manually.  Laugh if you will, but there is a certain intimacy that you share with your knife by stoning.  Maybe it's the same reason that people like sailing rather than motor boats, or hunting with flintlocks, rather than high powered rifles.  There's an artistic sense you get by doing it the old way.  And, I'd be happy to match the results with any other method.

Along the same lines, any knife I buy from now on will be carbon steel rather than stainless.  CS doesn't keep an edge as long as stainless, but it sharpens much more easily, and I think, sharper.  I have Shuns, Wusthofs, and Henkles, but I prefer my Kramer CS and two CS knives Lit put me on to for $60 each.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    @VI if the Mrs keeps cutting herself on those SCARY sharp knives, just ask her to cross your palm with silver!.. and no I'm not of gypsy blood! It's just the done thing to stop unnecessary ( yea too drunk to do a spell check) cuts in the kitchen! However if ya need some looky header, I'm defo on it! Only 50p a bunch!...
  • Thanks all. Once again I should have known not to ask any question without at least $300 in my pocket. In 2 weeks- Sonos, Adjustable Rig, Spider, and now tricked out knife sharpening setup. I liked you all better when I didn't know you :))

My wife will be thrilled that we will be cooking Ramen on the egg for the next month. I'll just tell her it's the cool new thing on the egg. If it's like all the other cool new things I try, she will roll her eyes and walk away.

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I have been using the Work Sharp Knife Sharpener for about a year now and I can sharpen a knife sharp enough to shave the hair on my arm. It comes with three different belts from coarse to fine and it does a fine job on knives and is fast and easy.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    For heavy investment I agree with Gary. For light investment and almost no learning curve, I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. 

Hey Gary, can you link that knife you showed me at Salsa, Tx? I liked it and want to try a carbon steel kitchen knife.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thanks gents. I'll keep you posted on how much you guys cost me when I look through all options.

• I have been using the Work Sharp Knife Sharpener for about a year now and I can sharpen a knife sharp enough to shave the hair on my arm. It comes with three different belts from coarse to fine and it does a fine job on knives and is fast and easy.

Is this the kit you have?

• GaryLange
    Yes and it took my old Buck knife that I carried in Vietnam and later cut sod with from butter knife to razor sharp shave your arm hair off in about 15 min. I hated every other knife sharpener I have ever had as they took forever and never really got them sharp. This little jewel does a number of them.
  • travisstrick
    Cen-Tex, Just a heads up on the Work Sharp kit. Be very aware of the angle of grind on the knives you wish to sharpen. The angles available on that sharpener are very limited. The angle that you sharpen a given blade is perhaps the most important aspect. For example, your kitchen knives, butcher knife, pocket knife, and survival blade will have vastly different grind angles. I'm not saying I like it or not. Just pointing out one of its limitations. 
  • GaryLange
    For heavy investment I agree with Gary. For light investment and almost no learning curve, I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. 

Hey Gary, can you link that knife you showed me at Salsa, Tx? I liked it and want to try a carbon steel kitchen knife.
    I don't remember ever being in Salsa, TX. I did sharpen all my Kitchen knives with this unit and they cut like a razor.
  • Cen-Tex, Just a heads up on the Work Sharp kit. Be very aware of the angle of grind on the knives you wish to sharpen. The angles available on that sharpener are very limited. The angle that you sharpen a given blade is perhaps the most important aspect. For example, your kitchen knives, butcher knife, pocket knife, and survival blade will have vastly different grind angles. I'm not saying I like it or not. Just pointing out one of its limitations. 
    Roger that Travis. thanks

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Too damn many Garys.. :))
  • For heavy investment I agree with Gary. For light investment and almost no learning curve, I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. 

I don't remember ever being in Salsa, TX. I did sharpen all my Kitchen knives with this unit and they cut like a razor.
    Noted. Thanks for the insight.

• travisstrick
    Wrong Gary. I did not mean that it wouldnt sharpen well. I'm quiet sure it would sharpen almost any knife very well. 

As an absolute knife geek, I was simply trying to relay some info regarding grind angle that I feel most non knife losers dont know about. Forgive me if you felt it was a personal critique of you or your sharpening method. That was not my intention. 

Grind angle effects edge retention and cutting efficiency. There are some grind angles that are better for certain tasks. 

• GaryLange
    I never felt you were doing anything of the sort. I just didn't know if I knew you or not. I have been to a lot of places and hit a bunch of Bass Boat Rally's all over so I meet a lot of people and hardly ever remember all the names. I have that Spyderco and it was okay but still slow. I guess I am basically lazy and don't want to sit forever sharpening a knife. The Work Sharp takes the time out of it.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    My shun knives have held their sharpness so well the past few years (with consistent honing) that they have yet to need sharpening.
    Dunedin, FL