Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible Ruined Brisket?

They_Call_Me_Biscuit
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

So, here's the story...

Went home for lunch from work to put a 15 lb brisket on.  I was a little rushed for time so got the egg going, but didn't have time to fully get to stabilized temps. Set my vents for the typical 250 (wasn't at that temp yet though) and put the brisket on.  Got home at 6:00 tonight and the fire's out.  The problem is I'm not sure how long the brisket has been sitting there without any heat. It doesn't look cooked at all so I'm thinking the fire went out shortly after I put it on. What's the chance it's ruined by sitting out for what could have been multiple hours? Or go ahead and cook it for 25+ hours and all will be well?

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

What time did you leave to go back to work?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• About 1:15. So it's possible it sat there for hours.
    San Antonio, TX
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    From your post, it sounds like your not sure the fire was ever going. I would not eat it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • There is no problem with the meat. Restart the process and finish the cook. done it many times when learning. I would eat it without hesitation
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    In many cases yes centex, but my gut here tells me they came home tried to light, closed the vents too early and left for 5+ hours. I think the fire went out quickly. Mentioned it didn't look cooked at all. I stand by my gut feeling.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Little Steven
    A lot of it would depend on the ambient temp where he is. If it was in Canada I would say go for it. Texas/Florida not so much. Lean beef is pretty forgiving

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• San Antonio. Guess it's better safer than sorry. Don't want to make friends sick this weekend. Guess it's back to the store! Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

San Antonio, TX
  • Little Steven
    What was the high there this afternoon and was the egg in direct sun?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• About 80 high. Not out in the open. Up against the house so might have gotten some direct, but not the whole time.
    San Antonio, TX
  • guys- this is not a problem. No bad actors are just waiting in your egg to penetrate your brisket to the middle in 6 hours and make it rancid. Where's @stike when you need him????? This is a huge chunk of meat and even at 80 for 6 hours you are safe. I would still eat it without hesitation. Fire it up.

• Sorry- had to run and check the egg real quick. Here's the skinny- the most stringent laws in the commercial food service industry have 4 hours out of the safe zone as their max. Granted you cannot serve that food after 4 hours but taking that into consideration, you might be 2 hours outside that "safe" zone and that is worst case. The rules are the same for a 1/16" thick piece of cheese or a 3" thick brisket or butt. If your meat does not smell bad (which there is no way that it can after a few hours out of the "safe zone"), I would fire it up again and plan to eat a perfectly good brisket tomorrow for lunch.
  • San Antonio. Guess it's better safer than sorry. Don't want to make friends sick this weekend. Guess it's back to the store! Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Your call and it's always best to do what you feel is right. I don't think you have a chance to make people sick with this brisket though

• So I decided against it just to be safe, but appreciate all the insight guys and the food service rules Cen-Tex. This will be the first time I serve others from a BGE cook so don't want to risk giving it a bad name since I've claimed it's the best purchase I've ever made. The good news is that brisket was on sale for $1.53 a pound so another 15 lber is going on. The fire's been going since I got home at 6:00 and re-fired it so no chance of it going out this time! Not sure exactly what happened, but sounds like a good reason to buy a stoker now...even if it wouldn't have helped in this case. 

San Antonio, TX
  • Little Steven
    I would toss it. Too bad you weren't here :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• So I decided against it just to be safe, but appreciate all the insight guys and the food service rules Cen-Tex. This will be the first time I serve others from a BGE cook so don't want to risk giving it a bad name since I've claimed it's the best purchase I've ever made. The good news is that brisket was on sale for $1.53 a pound so another 15 lber is going on. The fire's been going since I got home at 6:00 and re-fired it so no chance of it going out this time! Not sure exactly what happened, but sounds like a good reason to buy a stoker now...even if it wouldn't have helped in this case. 

If it were my 1st, I would have tossed it too. just trying to save you some money :). I would never have served it commercially but I would have eaten it at home.

• They_Call_Me_Biscuit
    edited April 2012

Little Steven - Yeah, I know. That snow would've been nice. (edit...or I think you're talking about snow based on your picture) Hardly know what that white stuff is down here.

Oh well, lesson learned. Don't rush the prep...

San Antonio, TX
  • Little Steven
    Man, up to 5 hours in an 80* environment, I don't know and I'm no cissy. Stike and I ate raw pork once that was in my lost luggage for 24 hours but that is scary

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven - Yeah, I know. That snow would've been nice. Hardly know what that white stuff is down here.

Oh well, lesson learned. Don't rush the prep...

+1 on on don't rush the prep!

lesson learned (and a cheap lesson at $1.53 per lb!)

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    where'd you buy brisket @ 1.53/lb?  Is it even select graded or is it standard?
  • where'd you buy brisket @ 1.53/lb?  Is it even select graded or is it standard?
    In san antonio, I'll bet select at HEB, Sam's or Costco.....just a guess
  • It was actually Choice and at Wal-mart. They had about 10 at lunchtime at the one by my house that were marked down (Potranco Rd for those in SA).  They had a sell by date of Sunday  and I knew I was cooking today so that worked perfect. When I went back for the second one, they had 1 other one left.
    San Antonio, TX
  • It was actually Choice and at Wal-mart. They had about 10 at lunchtime at the one by my house that were marked down (Potranco Rd for those in SA).  They had a sell by date of Sunday  and I knew I was cooking today so that worked perfect. When I went back for the second one, they had 1 other one left.
    Nice. great price for choice.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    nice, guess I should start watching at walmart... my last brisket was from sams and they only have select at the one by my house... :(  Next brisket will def. be choice or possible prime if I could find one at a decent price... I paid 2.xx at sams for the select :(
  • I know people hate Wal-mart and I'm in the same boat usually, but I often find meats marked down there that have a sell by date 2 days out (sometimes it's a cook by date, but you get the point). Never seen briskets that way before today, but regularly have pork shoulders, pork tenderloins, roasts, and steaks that way. Just go before noon before everyone else gets it all. Guess they just buy too much and if you don't mind being on a short leash to cook it, works great.
    San Antonio, TX
  • nice, guess I should start watching at walmart... my last brisket was from sams and they only have select at the one by my house... :(  Next brisket will def. be choice or possible prime if I could find one at a decent price... I paid 2.xx at sams for the select :(
    That's what I have on the pit now. Select from Sam's. I bought it just to take pics (this is the same one I bought last week when we were talkin' sh*t and drinking beer all day. I left in in the fridge in the cryo until today. : lazy SOB!. Anyhow, it's on now with 1/2 mustard, 1/2 no mustard to see what happens to the bark. Let's call it a research brisket :). bet it's pretty good anyway!

• Nice. I'll be interested to see what you think about the difference.  I went with worcestershire sauce and Grand Champion rub for mine.
    San Antonio, TX