Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Recipe/Pointers

iowaeggboy
iowaeggboy Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey eggers- looking try my first pulled pork as a thank you meal for some construction workers i have been overseeing.  Can anyone out there help me out with a recipe/ cooking times/temps etc.  I have done ribs, ham, steals burgers etc, but not not a pork butt.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Cook in-direct at 250* dome for 1 1/2 - 2 hours per pound until internal meat temperature is 195*.  Use apple, cherry, pecan, hickory for smoke, what ever trips your trigger.  As for rubs I recommend the Dizzy Pig products but there are tons of good ones out there.  You can inject or not inject it's up to you.  It will be good as long as you follow the directions in the first sentence.  Good luck.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've had good luck using 275 - 300* on the dome.  It reduces the cooking time to closer to an hour a pound. No foil needed, so it gets a nice bark.   IMO, comes out just as good as when I did it slower. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • What BowHunr said.  When you hit the 195 temp, test the butt with a probe and test resistance.  Each butt can be different and is ready at different temps.  I have had some butts ready at 195 and some at 205.  When the probe slides in without any resistance it is ready to pull, wrap and rest. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • All looks good to me. What is your setup? Drip pan/rack/plate setter? Setup is key but all advice above is correct.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • When it is done, what is the pull, wrap, rest ritual that you have done?  Also-  what set up is ideal.  platesetter w/ legs up/ drip pan etc.  

Thanks!

• Unless I'm cooking several butts, I use the PS legs up... drip pan on top of the PS, butt directly on the grid above it. Stinkin' easy.

If I need more room, I'll use the AR and cook two on the bottom, two on the top.

I pull it off at 190ish, wrap tightly in foil and place in a warm cooler for at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 4 hours. The best pulling is after two hours of rest IMO.

Another trick I learned from this forum, pull the bark off first and put in a separate dish. Then pull the rest of the butt and mix the bark in evenly. This is especially helpful if you have more than one butt.

BOOMER!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    All of the above is spot on. I use apple chips for smoke and Bad Byrons Butt rub. DON'T open dome at all for 8 hours. Some say not at all. I leave it alone for 8 hours and that always gets me a great bark. After 8 hours, I mist with apple juice and apple cider vinegar every hour.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    wrapping and resting isn't necessary, unless you are done early.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    One thing I also do in addition is to either 1)raise the drip pan to allow an air space between it, and the plate setter or add water to it so that drippings don't burn in there. Or do both.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • wrapping and resting isn't necessary, unless you are done early.
    yep
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX