Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally opened my Wicked Good...

Options
pezking7p
pezking7p Posts: 132
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
This bag is literally filled with logs of charcoal.  Do you guys bust it up or just use the giant pieces?  I think it would be hard to get enough charcoal in for longer cooks since the pieces are so large. 

Comments

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I busted up the really large ones. Some did seem to be small logs
    George
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Just fit the smaller pieces around the big ones. They're in there.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I also bust up the log size pieces...
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited April 2012
    Options
    for longer cooks it isn't a problem, the smaller pieces will lite them eventually.  For fast cooks, I place new ones in my chimney to get them started and they'll ignite the smaller left over pieces in the grill.

I may mix the WG with other charcoal when the bag is new and those pieces are the first ones out of the bag.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I just opened a 40 pound bag of Humphrey's that had pieces too big to fit in my XL.  Looked like mostly tree limbs.  I broke them into 3 and 4 pieces about 6 inches long and put smaller chuncks between them.  Harder to start than BGE and Royal Oak but seems great for low and slow.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Unreal stuff isn't it? I save the big chunks for long cooks. Fill in the spaces with smaller pieces and your egg will burn 20+ hours. Big Green Egg and Wicked Good are a match made in heaven.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    I haven't been able to find it but used cowboy on a slow last weekend seemed to do good cooked for 18 hrs and then did ABT's and a peach cobbler I know no pics don't count some day I will look into posting pics.
  • ben4unc
    ben4unc Posts: 14
    Options
    Wicked Good is THE BEST!!!!  I love the big chunks o' lump!
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    +1 ONSBBQ! That is what I do and have been very happy with the combo.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Wicked Good was my first bag of lump, I noticed plenty of "logs" too... and y'know... it NEVER occurred to me to attempt to break it down into smaller pieces.

How big should "good sized" lump be?

What do you folks use to break it up?
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys.  I'll break down some of the logs, and look deeper in the bag for more "regular" sized pieces.  The fire burned very nicely after these finally got started last night (leftover charcoal wouldn't get hotter than 300 :( ).

I will say, I'm never buying BGE brand again.  I realize now that my bag sucked horribly, and if I'm just getting small pieces I will buy a cheap brand instead. 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Wicked Good was my first bag of lump, I noticed plenty of "logs" too... and y'know... it NEVER occurred to me to attempt to break it down into smaller pieces.

That is a great question. My bag of Humphreys had some logs in it as well. I just poured them in and lit them. Should I have broken them up?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options

That is a great question. My bag of Humphreys had some logs in it as well. I just poured them in and lit them. Should I have broken them up?
    I would only break large pieces up if they were too large to fit in the Egg.  I love the large chunks.  Perfect for long cooks. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I haven't ran across any that big, but there were certainly some pretty good size pieces in there. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Unreal stuff isn't it? I save the big chunks for long cooks. Fill in the spaces with smaller pieces and your egg will burn 20+ hours. Big Green Egg and Wicked Good are a match made in heaven.
    Same. I use the big stuff on big cooks and it works great
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys.  I'll break down some of the logs, and look deeper in the bag for more "regular" sized pieces.  The fire burned very nicely after these finally got started last night (leftover charcoal wouldn't get hotter than 300 :( ).

I will say, I'm never buying BGE brand again.  I realize now that my bag sucked horribly, and if I'm just getting small pieces I will buy a cheap brand instead. 
    You can get big pieces in cheap lump. I pay $15 for 40lbs of 100% mesquite. It's great.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I use an old sledge hammer head. They bust up pretty easy. If they could all be baseball size, I would be a happy boy