Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I love the new black hardware

RichardBronosky
RichardBronosky Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Before I bought my egg, I exchanged about a dozen emails with customer support at sculptnouveau trying to figure out how to use acid and patina to get the carriage bolts, springs, nuts, etc. to be black. It was not very encouraging. I gave up and bought a LBGE. I got the latest model, and while it didn't have feet, it did have gorgeous black hardware. I don't know if this is old news as @Cowdogs mentioned it in another thread. If this is something that people would be interested in seeing I can take some photos.

I'm very happy with it. I started the flamefest in the other thread so I thought I'd take a moment to point out something that BGE is doing right.
I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012

Comments

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Slight cosmetic improvement... though, they haven't made many performance/usability improvements over the years...
    Don't get me wrong, I love my egg... but I see a lot of competition that is looking more and more enticing with their innovations/improvements...
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    The competition is stepping it up to compete, BGE is counting on the BGE name to carry them, I guess it's working for now. I do think they will have to make some changes with design or price to keep the following they have.
  • SandBilly
    edited April 2012
    Two local dealers in my area, both have larges priced at 867.00 without anything. You can get a KJ with nest, grill gripper and ash tool for 799.00. My dealers sell just the nest for an extra 150 bucks. I'm looking for another Kamado and I want an egg..but...
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Ouch, you should be able to do better than that!  My local dealers offer:

Large Egg                                                                                               

Nest

Wooden Fold-down Side Shelves

1 Fire starter Pkg.

10 lb. bag Koda Lump Charcoal x 2

Ash Tool,

Plate Setter

for $899

$867 sounds like thats even more than MSRP! (I read somewhere that large was $828 msrp)

• SandBilly
    I tried, they both told me that it is a BGE set price and they are not allowed to negotiate. They took my wife for that price when she purchased it as a gift for me, she didn't know any better, just knew i wanted one.
  • SandBilly,

They took your wife and gave you a BGE??? Please forward their address and phone number.
  • SandBilly,

They took your wife and gave you a BGE??? Please forward their address and phone number.

=)) =))

That was awesome.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I tried, they both told me that it is a BGE set price and they are not allowed to negotiate. They took my wife for that price when she purchased it as a gift for me, she didn't know any better, just knew i wanted one.
    I hope you NEVER go back and tell everyone who may buy one from them. That is just not true. They are independent of Egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Yep. @Mickey is right. BGE has a rule that you cannot advertise price on the internet. They don't set the price, and they allow you to advertise sales on the internet. That's how I found out that Roswell Hardware was having a sale.

I had to call to find out how much I was saving:
    Large BGE
    20# BGE charcoal
    grid gripper
    ashtool
    $699

I upgraded the grid gripper to the grid lifter for $10, which is the price delta. Added the cast iron grid, plate setter, and a bag of apple wood chunks. I'm a Happy Cooker.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2012

@RichardBronosky: this was the first one I  came to at google:  http://www.daniellefence.com/products/510/Big+Green+Egg.aspx.

They price on the internet.

You see Egg price on the internet all the time. Look at any (95%) EggFest for the price of Eggs.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Call around. Check prices at 3 to 4 different dealers. That is what I did, and I approached the dealer closest to my house and told him where I had seen it cheaper. He matched the price. The definitely do have some flexibility on price, especially in terms of the extras they may throw in.
  • They have also upgraded to a nice 9 inch wide handle that feels much more significant than the smaller versions. I'm attaching photos of the black hardware also...