Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions from a brand new egghead

Rblument
Rblument Posts: 27
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got an extra large egg and loving it. Made ribs first day and they were the best ribs ever. But I got barbecue sauce all over my plate setter and am having trouble getting it off. It's kinda burnt on and the manual says just use water and not soap. Not having much success in getting it clean Any ideas or should I just not worry about it. Also can I set a metal baking sheet on top of plate setter to catch drippings and prevent a reoccurrence or will this harm the plate setter Also want to cook a 3 lb chicken today. Will use direct heat and just throw the bird onto grill. I am thinking 400-425 degrees. Any suggestions.

Comments

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    You don't need to worry about it, yes you can use foil or a tray to stop it getting dirty, if you can't clean it up and its bothering you, once your gasket is good just get the Egg hot 700+ and it will clean itself up
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yes, eventually the platesetter will be burnt clean. Expect portions to darker, but that does nothing to the function.

An Egg standard is spatchcock'd chicken. A butterflied chicken, cooked direct and hot, resulting a most moist bird with good crisp skin. Search for "Naked Whiz," who has a great repository of many things Egg-ish.
  • Rblument
    Thanks for response and heads up on naked whiz. Looks like an informative site. Will try the spatchcock'd chicken with some fresh sage thyme and rosemary and a little bit of lemon and olive oil.
  • Thanks for response and heads up on naked whiz. Looks like an informative site. Will try the spatchcock'd chicken with some fresh sage thyme and rosemary and a little bit of lemon and olive oil.
    It's a great site and the spatchcocked chicken is the bomb. Your platesetter will come clean. Mine's a wreck right now but will be cleaned up in a few cooks (or one really hot one). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    The plate setter will be fine just keep using it. I use a deep dish pizza pan covered in foil as a drip pan to keep mine clean-ish. Got it for about 9 bucks.

Keep up the great work and have fun.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Rblument
    I have some applewood smoking chips. Should I use a handful for the spatchcock chicken or just forgedaboutit?
  • I have some applewood smoking chips. Should I use a handful for the spatchcock chicken or just forgedaboutit?
    I like smoke so I would, but it will be awesome either way
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Definatelly use a couple handfull! I use a brush and scraper to clean my plate setter. I cover my plate setter with foil when cooking indirect or use a drip tray!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Rblument
    Another question. I have used my egg three times. One for ribs on a really low heat with a plate setter, another time with steaks where I got the temp over 700 degrees, and a spatchcocked chicken where I cooked it at 400. After cooking the steaks at a super high heat and before cooking the chicken i noticed the edge of the gasket was burnt. Why should the edge of the gasket burn like that. It didn't seem to impact the chicken cooking because I was able to maintain a 400 degree heat but should I b concerned about the burnt edge of the gasket. It kinda stresses me out that the edge of the gasket is burnt after two usages. Thoughts?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Gaskets on both my Eggs were toast within a week, stand by for a lot of discussion on this topic.  I have had not problems doing almost daily (and I really mean that) cooks for 5 months now with the ruined gaskets, except for the irritation of watching smoke leak out.  I have got to get around to installing the new nomex.

I would suggest you double check and see that your dome is adjusted correctly to fit the bottom part.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• My gasket melted off completely after the third cook(steaks).  I have been cooking without a gasket for over a year now and have had no issues, so you should be good.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

If the gasket was just burned in one area, the dome may not be adjusted to be directly over the base.  A little off and the edge of gasket that is exposed to the fire will get burned.  Now that you've done a spatchcock chicken, try a beer can chicken.  My wife likes the beer can chicken better.  Tonight I did the beer can at 225 until the breast meat was 170 with a couple of apple chunks for more smoke flavor.  I made her a mix of Cattlemen's Kansas City Classic BBQ sauce and a little Louisiana Hot Sauce which kicked it up a notch.  Good luck on all your cooks!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Rblument
    Would u b so kind to give me. Beer. An chicken recipe. I hear it is great but don't know how to cook it. Thnx.
    Best
    Rich
  • Rblument
    Would u b so kind to give me. Beer. An chicken recipe. I hear it is great but don't know how to cook it. Thnx.
    Best
    Rich

• Rblument
    edited April 2012
    Would u b so kind to give me a beer can chicken recipe. I hear it is great but don't know how to cook it. Thnx.
    Best
    Rich
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Try spatchcocked instead of beer can, I think you'll like it better. Probably several options in the recipes section.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use Steven Raichlen's "Beer-Can Chicken and 74 other Offbeat Recipes for the Grill".  His all purpose rub for beer can chicken is 1/4 cup coarse salt, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup sweet paprika, and 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper  (this is enough to do 4 chickens).  I wash and dry the chicken inside and out, rub on extra virgin olive oil, and then sprinkle on the rub.  BGE makes a ceramic beer can chicken holder and you can buy metal ones at Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores that work just as well.  You can just open a can of beer, drink a couple of slugs, put a few more holes in the top, and stick the can up the chicken's behind.  As long as you put his legs out front, he should stand on his own.  The gadgets are just easier.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI