Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Ribs. Pics Included. First time with Ribs on the Egg!!!

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I have fired up the Egg this fine Easter morn to experience my
first ribs on the BGE. I rubbed them down last night and let them get
happy in the fridge overnight. Got them tossed on the Egg with a combo
of hickory chunks and a bagged blend of chips that I found. Its a
mixture of cherry, apple, pear, peach and sugar maple. Smoke from this little bag is phenomenal !! Will keep you updated throughout the day! Happy Easter everyone!! Got pics of pre-rubbed, mount in the Egg and the bag of chips! Enjoy!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Looks good... i'm not sure what benefits you'll get from monitoring meat temperature on ribs... I usually just cook them until they're done which I'm not sure correlates to any given temp...
    Done is when bones start to pull away from the meat and the ribs will fall 90 degrees when held with tongs from one end... Others can chime in with their opinions... but... ribs sound good none the less...
  • NightwingXP
    Well this is only my second smoking attempt on the Egg. I have been using a barrel offset smoker for the past 3 years with good success. The Egg is a whole nother animal. I love it! I have always used a temp probe on the ribs in the past but I am quickly learning that the Egg works quite a bit differently. The ribs are already 137 internal and haven't been on for an hour yet. Still doping out the learning curve for this wonderful ceramic creation! Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

• NightwingXP
    Also my dome temp gauge is reading about 350 but the temp probe on the grate at felt line is reading about 240 - 250 so just winging it!
  • Also my dome temp gauge is reading about 350 but the temp probe on the grate at felt line is reading about 240 - 250 so just winging it!
    If it's reading lower and makes sense by the way you have your fire set up, go with the digital grate thermo. Calibrate your egg dome thermo when you can. If your grate thermo reads hotter, check to make sure it's not in contact with anything inside the egg and then go with the digital as well. The dome thermos are fine but the digitals are more reliable........until they aren't  ;)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NightwingXP
    This learning curve is proving to be an ASS kicker. I had the Egg set at about 350 dome, but the grate temp was steady at 250. After not even an hour and half the ribs were at 180 - 190 internal ( I checked with a old fashioned rotary dial meat thermometer. )  and it seems hot in egg. I panicked, took off the ribs. Wrapped them in foil, poured some of my daughters Berry Juicy Juice on them and put them back on the Egg. They were done but not tender done yet. What the HELL???
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    At this point, I would take the thermometer out and just cook them until they are tender. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • At this point, I would take the thermometer out and just cook them until they are tender. Good luck.
    yep. use the Force, Luke. You'll be fine. This is how you learn. I use thermos less and less these days. 
  • NightwingXP
    edited April 2012
    Thats what I am attempting. Do NOT understand. Doing the smoke with raised, indirect. I have a High Q grate, Woo 2 with a stone setup for indirect and drip pan. Ribs (as per the picture) are sitting in a rib rack and they cooked so fast??? Now I just hope I can get them tender. I have thrown the thermo ( both of them ) to the side and guess I will just let them sit in foil in the egg for 2 hours. God help me.

Just don't understand.........

All's it is , is air...fuel...and fire. WTF
  • Thats what I am attempting. Do NOT understand. Doing the smoke with raised, indirect. I have a High Q grate, Woo 2 with a stone setup for indirect and drip pan. Ribs (as per the picture) are sitting in a rib rack and they cooked so fast??? Now I just hope I can get them tender. I have thrown the thermo ( both of them ) to the side and guess I will just let them sit in foil in the egg for 2 hours. God help me.

Just don't understand.........

All's it is , is air...fuel...and fire. WTF
    Come off the ledge. Bet the ribs are great. I'm not a great rib guy but they are always good even when they aren't perfect. ribs are pretty forgiving and I'm guessing you are closer than you think. Might be time for a beer.............if you are into that kind of thing

• looking at your pic, I think I see the problem. The probe is too close to the bones to get a good read on the meat. Bones are always hotter than the meat and can mess up your reading. There really isn't a great way on ribs to keep it away.  I bet you just aren't getting an accurate read and they are fine.

Go by feel and they will be ready when the meat starts to pull away from the outside of the bone

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I cook them until they sag when you pick them up. Then I lather them down good with sauce and wrap them in foil and let them cook for two to three hours more. The please the little woman I am married to and we all know how important that is.
  • I just had a weird Thermo issue that was a first for me. I have a brand new ET-732 that I took for a spin today for my rib roast. My dome Thermo was 25-30 degrees LOW comparatively. This is odd because it's usually a little hotter in the dome than the grill. I tried to take the dome thermo off to calibrate and couldn't because it was all crudded up. I hit it with my brush and scraped off all the crud I could and it fell right back in line with the Maverick. I guess the crud was insulating it and making it read low. Point is, thermos can misbehave under certain circumstances. it can make you feel nuts when your instruments tell a different story than you see with your eyes. More cooks = (more burned meat and)  better feel for what's happening when things go sideways. How did those ribs turn out?

Time for a burn out for me. 

• NightwingXP
     How did those ribs turn out?

Well CT......I took your advise and stepped back off of the ledge a
    little. After I wrapped them and tossed em back on the Egg I took a deep
    breath and thought. Screw it. Not gonna ruin my day and I needed to
    wait and see how things ended up. It wasn't the end of the world yet.
    Some family showed up, I dug into some homework and then after 2 hours I
    remembered it was time to pull them. I took then off and let them sit
    on the stove for about 10 minutes and then opened them. By far the best
    ribs I have ever made. My folks freaked out, wife was ecstatic and even
    my 4 year old ate them. They all said they were the best ribs they have
    ever had. Talk about a roller coaster. I went from thinking they were
    going to be tough and inedible to the Easter hero. Point
    is..........there are some things going on with my Egg. (I have
    calibrated my thermo twice now with boiling water test. Obviously need a
    new one. I have a new Maverick ET-7 that I have only used 1 other time
    and it had a learning curve I was not used to today as well, plus have
    never smoked ribs on the Egg before today) that I will get fixed and
    figured out over time. I am still leaning into this learning curve that
    the Egg is throwing at me but I think that I am coming out on the front
    side ( I think  : ) ). Anyhoo, I absolutely love my Egg and will never
    do without it again. Thank god that pork is so forgiving !!!

Thanks for the feedback CT. Appreciated it today !
  •  How did those ribs turn out?

Well CT......I took your advise and stepped back off of the ledge a
    little. After I wrapped them and tossed em back on the Egg I took a deep
    breath and thought. Screw it. Not gonna ruin my day and I needed to
    wait and see how things ended up. It wasn't the end of the world yet.
    Some family showed up, I dug into some homework and then after 2 hours I
    remembered it was time to pull them. I took then off and let them sit
    on the stove for about 10 minutes and then opened them. By far the best
    ribs I have ever made. My folks freaked out, wife was ecstatic and even
    my 4 year old ate them. They all said they were the best ribs they have
    ever had. Talk about a roller coaster. I went from thinking they were
    going to be tough and inedible to the Easter hero. Point
    is..........there are some things going on with my Egg. (I have
    calibrated my thermo twice now with boiling water test. Obviously need a
    new one. I have a new Maverick ET-7 that I have only used 1 other time
    and it had a learning curve I was not used to today as well, plus have
    never smoked ribs on the Egg before today) that I will get fixed and
    figured out over time. I am still leaning into this learning curve that
    the Egg is throwing at me but I think that I am coming out on the front
    side ( I think  : ) ). Anyhoo, I absolutely love my Egg and will never
    do without it again. Thank god that pork is so forgiving !!!

Thanks for the feedback CT. Appreciated it today !
    Awesome. I figured they would work out for you. Sounded like you had it going on (even if you weren't sure). great job and glad it all turned out.