Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing temps and hot spots

Options
GK59
GK59 Posts: 501
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Had ribeyes to sear on Saturday. Did some spinich at around 400* for a warm salad. Opened the vents, went inside to get the steaks and the needle was coming around a second time.

Needless to say I backed it down to around 700*. My wife likes medium.Put it in the center and about 45 seconds before the next 2.Those I wanted rare. They were to the outside. When cut at the table,the doneness was reversed.

Do these thing burn hotter at the edges then in the center?

They tasted great. My taste has been to rare,yet the medium seemed to have better texture.

Thanks all.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Had ribeyes to sear on Saturday. Did some spinich at around 400* for a warm salad. Opened the vents, went inside to get the steaks and the needle was coming around a second time.

Needless to say I backed it down to around 700*. My wife likes medium.Put it in the center and about 45 seconds before the next 2.Those I wanted rare. They were to the outside. When cut at the table,the doneness was reversed.

Do these thing burn hotter at the edges then in the center?

They tasted great. My taste has been to rare,yet the medium seemed to have better texture.

Thanks all.

i have found they burn evenly with direct cooking but have a few hot spots occasionally with the plate setter in. My guess is that this is a fuel issue. make sure your lump is even and that the all the lump is burning equally
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    My only advice would be to cook to internal temperature. You can never be consistently good if you guess at doneness. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin