Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizza party results

eggnited
eggnited Posts: 94
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
So today will be my first spatchcock chicken. Left it in the fridge overnight uncovered and plan on seasoning with Cluck and Squeal. I plan on indirect using the plate setter and a foil tray. Thought I might do potatoes and peppers in the foil pan and let the juices drip down to cook. Okay..this is a pizza party thread right?..well I just want to make sure about the foil pan....do I put any liquid in the pan with the potatoes to start? <---- Hey look

Okay, so on to the party we had the other night. I had family in town so we decided to try using the egg as a pizza oven. I filled up with plenty of lump and tried to get the egg stabilized at around 550. I ended up pushing to 600 degrees and tried to hold the temp there for 45 minutes. I left the bottom vent mostly open and tried to regulate using the daisy on top. I'm beginning to think this is not the right method since my temps would hold for a bit and then climb fast. I think the breezy day changed conditions at the bottom vent rapidly.  I saw temps over 700 a few times and later while cooking saw a run to almost 800 degrees. Anyway, I told my pizza makers that we needed to go fast from one pizza to the next. We had already prepared dough the day before and pizza sauce earlier in the day. After prepping the toppings we were off and running. Funny how things didn't go as planned. I always wondered why some people ended up with pizzas that weren't round! LOL So...we did number one...with two types of salami...number two...a white pizza with italian sausage and kalamata olives....and by the time number three came around the dough just wasn't workable. My wife did a quite change up and we made a calzone with salami. On the stone you can see the calzone with another mini version that just contained fontina cheese. The cheeses on the pizzas were mostly mozzarella with fontina cheese added in a lesser amount. Oh..and the pizzas were surprisingly tasty for the first time out. I think I need to work on my dough....since it was nice flavor but probably not technically correct. I think had I got it right it would have been even more crispy. The calzone was the best ..but the others were very good. My wife said better than many pizza places...so a success....but I know I can do way better. Also...I think my gasket is fried. It has a black soot look to it....but it still in place. Not sure...may have to post a few pics of that too.  Okay....without further adieu.

Comments