Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just pulled the trigger

Options
brianwdmn
brianwdmn Posts: 371
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Here is my new best friend!
Just brought it home today and assembled it. Now the question, what to cook first
Marietta, East Cobb, GA

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Hot dogs!....Just Kidding  :))

Congrats on the new purchase. Not sure what to tell you to try first. Maybe chicken or pork chops around 400 or so.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Something easy so you can get the hang of temperature control.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Picture to follow shortly.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Let's see it and it had better be GREEN!  B-)

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Oh it definitely is GREEN.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    Get her dirty with a low and slow,and break in that gasket
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Finally the photo.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Ah, I remember when mine looked that pristine. Amazing how fast they get seasoned.
    I would also recommend a low and slow, or a roast. I did a pork loin.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Just started the first burn. Holding steady at 300. This is much easier than my old offset smoker.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    I ended up deciding on center cut pork chops, 1" thick, and I added some apple wood chips and let them hang out for about 45 minutes until internal temp reached 140. Delicious!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Did you cook them at 300? Btw they sound good, but around here, without pics, it didn't happen.;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    My first was a spatchcock followed immediately by baby back ribs.  Both were delicious and pretty easy.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    just take it easy on that gasket for a week or so and you'll be fine. I would wait a week before doing any had searing or pizzas to really cure that gasket good.Seems to be the biggest complain with new egg owners. They want to see it bury the needle at 750 and do some steaks. i did it and my gasket came right off in my food! It will be rock solid after a few cooks. Welcome to the club!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advise. I promise to take pictures tonight as I'll have a bit more time on the spatch **** chicken now that I've had the first expeience with temp control. I do have another first timer question regarding the plate setter. When do you put it on? Before or after you regulate the temperature? Do you let it heat along with the rest of the cooker or do you put it in once your target cook temp has been reached and maintained?
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    It needs to heat up with the Egg to avoid a long heat sink if you put everything in there at one time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lot of ways to skin a cat here so try a few ways and find what you like. It really depends on what you are cooking and what your setup is but I always get the fire going first, then add plate setter and adjust to temp. 
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Second cook on the egg, this time with the plate setter, trying to keep all sessions below 300 degrees to break in the gasket, Garfunkel Chicken.  The family enjoyed it!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Just brought it home today and assembled it. Now the question, what to cook first
    Brian,

Did you hear about the 50% price reduction BGE announced today?

Just kidding.  That would be my luck, though.  Congratulations !!!
    %-(

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Second cook on the egg, this time with the plate setter, trying to keep all sessions below 300 degrees to break in the gasket, Garfunkel Chicken.  The family enjoyed it!
    Look at that virgin plate setter. I almost forgot mine was white at one time :)
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Brian,

Did you hear about the 50% price reduction BGE announced today?

Just kidding.  That would be my luck, though.  Congratulations !!!
    %-(
    That would be my luck as well.  The dealer did say BGE corporate recently raised the prices on all new units.  He didn't raise the price on the inventory he had and was selling them at the old price until all old units are gone.  I bought the package deal with the nest and winged tables for $999.  Really didn't see it any cheaper anywhere else. 
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA