Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any gloves that you can grab a hot platesetter with?

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I usually just grab it with a set of tongs, balancing it with the ash tool, but would love to be able to pull the platesetter out by hand when it's hot.  Do gloves exist for a reasonable price that can handle that kind of heat?  If so, please provide a link so I know that I'm looking at the right product.

Thanks,
Frank

Comments

• Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    I have a pair of  welder's gloves that I got from the A-OX guy that comes by where I work.  They were $12.  I tried out all his gloves including the ones he sells for $8 that his brother uses in competitions.  The ones I got had more padding in the fingers.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I have a pair from Lowes bbq section. They are black. Depends how hot you are talking about and better have a place to go with it. I have removed platesetter with them on a 400° burn.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Here's a discussion w/ a bunch of different options:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1167763#Comment_1167763

Hopefully you can find something that works for you!!

Let us know what you decide on!! 

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've removed a hot plate-setter from the egg and pizza stone from the oven using my pit-mitts.  No problem...even holding onto the stone longer than I thought I'd be able to.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I use welders gloves with an old pair of leather gloves as "pot holders".  Works good, but you better know where you're going with it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I got a pair of the PVC welders gloves at Grainger.  I have a pair of short, and a pair of long for the big cooker.  On an egg, you only need a short pair.  They are made by Best.  You can even put them in the dish washer if you want to.  I don't use the leather ones because the grease soaks into them while pulling butts.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I use Ove-gloves. They work fine but I would imagine that the welder's gloves or big bad-a** BBQ gloves work better at higher heat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    I use one of these silicone Orka gloves.  Claims to handle up to 480 degrees.  Works fine for me when I have to lift or pull the plate setter QUICKLY. I wouldn't hold it too long.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Have both gloves but this just works so much better, keep in with egg stuff

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Mickey,

Is than an emergency cocktail cup in the back of the box?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • neumski
    neumski Posts: 41
    Lodge gloves
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • Mickey
    Mickey,

Is than an emergency cocktail cup in the back of the box?

Thanks. Saw that when did the picture and forgot it. That is called " grand kids". Now the white one is for dipping out the ash if to high for the rake.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Mickey, we dont all have $40 pair of chan-el-lock pliers just laying around? You dont have any mechanic buddies, do you? 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I would be afraid the channel locks would break the platesetter, but apparently they don't.

Thanks for all the recomendations folks, I will take a look and try to pick out a good pair.  My table has a ceramic tile next to the egg that I can set it on, or just on the concrete patio so I don't need to hold it for very long.

Thanks again,
    Frank
  • Mickey
    Mickey, we dont all have $40 pair of chan-el-lock pliers just laying around? You dont have any mechanic buddies, do you? 

One mechanic buddy w/o a set of channel locks =))

• Mickey
    I would be afraid the channel locks would break the platesetter, but apparently they don't.

Thanks for all the recomendations folks, I will take a look and try to pick out a good pair.  My table has a ceramic tile next to the egg that I can set it on, or just on the concrete patio so I don't need to hold it for very long.

Thanks again,
    Frank

They have not yet. And they never get hot when I can't put things down right away.

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Just spit on yer hands and work quick, lol. I found this method works best after 4 or five 12oz doses of anistetic.

Actually I use a pair of leather work gloves, the $2 kind you get at hardware stores. They keep me from burning for about 20 sec, which has usually been long enough to get it out.

The pvc gloves look pretty neat though. May have to add a pair of them to my birthday list.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2012
    ust spit on yer hands and work quick, lol. I found this method works best after 4 or five 12oz doses of anistetic.

Actually I use a pair of leather work gloves, the $2 kind you get at hardware stores. They keep me from burning for about 20 sec, which has usually been long enough to get it out.

The pvc gloves look pretty neat though. May have to add a pair of them to my birthday list.
    Agreed.  If the platesetter needs moving at 600+* then the channel locks are the way to go.  

My gloves are a cheap pair that I use for everything - working on the car, grilling, you name it.  Toss them in the dark laundry after a cook and they're good to go for the next one.  I think I got them for $6 with a towel and carabiner from Lowe's.

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!