Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Temp to cook a whole chicken? and How long

Cajunpride2012
Cajunpride2012 Posts: 16
edited January 2012 in Poultry

Tomorrow I am going to attempt my first whole chicken> My plans are to inject it with Creole Butter and let it marinate for 4 hours. I would appreciate any advice..

thanks

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    I use a roasting rack. 350 1 to 2 hours. Breast to 165, thighs to 180.

Haven't done the splatcock yet, but will soon just based on the enthusiasm for it here - gotta be good.

I stuff with lemon wedges, put sprigs of thyme under the skin. Salt, pepper, and brush over with eevo.
    Cookin in Texas
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    First of all, do let the heavy smoke clear. Poultry soaks up smoke, and you will want the the lump burning clean. If you use wood for smoke, fruit and nut woods are good.

Because the Egg is so versatile, there is no single answer to your question. Are you cooking direct or indirect? Raised grill?

Also, there is lots of variations among chickens. The lighter the whole chicken is, the younger. Younger chickens can be cooked hotter and faster. Older, heavier chickens usually need lower heat, and probably some braising.

The marinade will make any chicken a little more tender and juicy.

If you are cooking indirect, with a platesetter legs up, and the chicken at gasket level, the Egg is pretty much like an oven. Pre-heat to 350, and expect no more than half an hour per pound. Injected butter will slow things down a little. If you let the chicken sit out at room temperature, it will cook a little faster, and more evenly.

Something I learned recently seems to help. Every 30 - 40 minutes, rotate the bird. Its own fat and juices will "self-baste" the carcass. This will slow the process down, but it also allows you to check how the cook is going.

Good luck.

As above, think about doing a spatchcock'd bird. It is amazingly simple to get good results.
  • My plans were to use a roasting rack however, the spatchcocked version sounds like the best way. Am I ok to say that the perfect temperature is 160 in the breast and 180 in the leg?? I will go with 350 degress pre-heat and then 30 minutes per lb just as you mentioned
  • My Spatchcocked chicken for a 4-5 lb is a little over an hour at 350-375.
    LET'S EAT
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Spatchcock takes very little time.  I generally cook a 7 pound roaster and it takes about an hour at 350-400 indirect - I aim for 165 breast and 180 thigh.  I use a raised grid and do not turn the chicken - I put it skin side up.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Did a 24 hour brine on a 5lb bird, rinsed it, brushed it with olive oil and rubbed it. I let it sit for another 24 hours, brought it up to room temp.  I cooked it directly with pecan chips at 350-375 for 1hr 45m-2hrs and it was without a doubt the best chicken I have ever eaten.  Crispy skin, juicy, and tons of flavor.
  • I used the VCR for the above mentioned chicken.  Plan on doing a similar cook with a Turkey.

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Definitely spatchcock it. Cook bone side down at 350-375. If you can raise rack, do it if not no worry. Allow approx 1 hour, probably a little longer. Skin should brown nicely but if you get to your 165 and 180 temps and skin not crispy then flip for short cook.
  • Spatch is awesome. The original way to do it is 350 (i think) direct on a raised grid bone side down. Never flip and it's ready in a hour. Easiest best chicken you will ever have.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX