Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now my Costco has the MBGE for sale

Options

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited March 2012
    Options

well, I tell you. I am thinking of becoming a BGE collector, not sure why, guess if the wife could collect beany babies and preciaous moments in the past, I could collect eggs. 

At $ 579 for a medium. That I could actually transport and use when not at home, It is very tempting, If i see one at my local costco, I may be looking at it a couple of times. It will probably have a star on the price sign, (meaning they are not going to be available for long)

Maybe break into my cash fund for toys and collect the second one. that way I can give one to each of my kids.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    @ Stike....I guess I misunderstood your post. I'm thinking if one were to buy the Costco package, all parts would not be covered under BGE warranty. So if a firebox or ring cracked beyond repair but the base and dome were intact, one would have to go to dealer for new parts. Or am I missing your original post altogether?

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Well I'm over the initial shock of Costco selling these. Here's the other side for us dealers. They'll only have them for a short while. If they put more Eggs in the hands of customers, great. Maybe these new buyers will get on the web site and locate a dealer for accessories, rubs, sauces and other size Eggs. I'm sure corp. will use this logic that this will drive customers to the dealers. Been in business fro 43 years and will be here tomorrow.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 459
    Options
    In light of the recent sightings of EGGs at discount club stores, and the misinformation and speculation that has sprung up on this forum and other sites, a bit of clarification might be helpful –

This is the BGE statement about discount clubs and chains, and it is posted clearly on the company website:

Big Green Egg does not distribute its products through discount clubs or discount chain stores, or through internet or e-commerce sites, and any such entity offering Big Green Eggs is an unauthorized reseller any may have obtained the merchandise through fraudulent or other improper means. Like many other companies, BGE does not extend warranty coverage to products purchased from unauthorized resellers, and consumers are advised to check the Dealer Locator to verify the legitimacy of any reseller before making a purchase.

Occasionally, an unauthorized reseller manages to obtain BGE products and offers them for sale to an unsuspecting customer. There are websites and retailers who may claim to be a BGE dealer, but they are not. Products sold by these sources do not carry a warranty from BGE. We try to prevent it from happening in both unauthorized stores and on the internet. Unfortunately, we do not catch everyone. Please protect yourself by ensuring that you purchase Big Green Egg products from an Authorized BGE Dealer. BGE does not knowingly distribute products into unauthorized channels, so please disregard any nonsense suggesting otherwise.

Please note: When you buy from an unauthorized source, even if it is operating as a legitimate business (but unauthorized dealer) selling products in sealed, unopened boxes with blank warranty cards, you are buying, by legal definition, used products. When you buy from unauthorized dealers or online you're almost always buying unwarranted items regardless of the claims of the seller. This is the policy of many brands and companies, not just BGE.

Authorized Dealers provide the following benefits to our customers:
    • Access to purchase genuine BGE products, supplies and accessories
    • Authorized Dealer access to specialized customer support services
    • Authorized Dealer staff who have knowledge to offer product education
    • Assurance that product has not been dropped, cracked or mishandled
    • Authorized service and repair facilities
    • Comprehensive support for BGE product warranties
    We recommend that you purchase your Big Green Egg products, supplies and EGGcessories from BGE Authorized Dealers who are required to meet our high customer service and support standards.

How do you tell if a Dealer is Authorized?

It is easy - check the BGE website Dealer Locator or contact BGE Customer Service.

Simply put, unauthorized resellers lead to unhappy customers.

We have seen many cases of unauthorized resellers causing damage by improperly assembling the EGG; breaking or cracking the product by mishandling it or dropping the carton; and even placing the dome on backwards! There is no telling what you are getting, and in most cases there is nobody with any specific product knowledge employed at these discount locations to assist in any way. Hope this helps. Thanks.

(rob a/k/a EGGzillaJr is a BGE employee, posting on behalf of the company)
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • billyray
    Options
    Thanks for the in put. I'd still like to know how Costco got the product. Somebody knows, let's hear it.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    I would like to know that too.
  • billyray
    Options

EGGzilla_jr

Can you explain the warranty registration, that is on the BGE web site. Especially the discount chain and internet boxes?

How did you obtain your EGG?
     Authorized Dealer Gift Discount Chain Internet Site Promotion/Contest Charity

If you answered Authorized Dealer or Gift please complete the following:
    Dealer Name:
    City: State: Zip Code:

If you answered Discount Chain please complete the following:
    Store Name:
    City: State: Zip Code:

If you answered Internet Site please complete the following:
    Name of website:
    Website URL:

• John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    Options
    You and I know all about BGE but most folks don't.  Moving to major markets certainly trumps the bait-shop/egg-dealer model.  I don't see any posts from BGE upper-management denying involvment with Costco.  It looks to me like a corporate move to ride the wave of consumer return.  If BGE were a public company I'd my stock tomorrow.
    Interesting, I posted a very similar comment, I believe on another thread that started the discussion about BGE being seen in Costcos. I was also speculating that BGE Corporate would have to have knowledge of sales of their grills to Costco. They promptly removed my post, and e-mailed me the following explanation:

"just needed to let you know we remove posts that contain false
    speculation about the company as they serve no purpose on this
    forum....as you know we would love to hear what your cooking for
    dinner!! Thanks, Moderation Team"

Obviously someone wants to squelch this talk outright, and I'm sure this entire thread will soon be removed. I too am reminded of the direction the Traeger Company went when they changed ownership hands see similarities with the BGE Empire.
  • billyray
    Options
    We used to stock Traeger. Costco got them and we got out!!!
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited March 2012
    Options
    @ Stike....I guess I misunderstood your post. I'm thinking if one were to buy the Costco package, all parts would not be covered under BGE warranty. So if a firebox or ring cracked beyond repair but the base and dome were intact, one would have to go to dealer for new parts. Or am I missing your original post altogether?
    If you bought the Egg from a dealer, you get the broken firebox replaced for free.  If you bought the Egg at Costco, and they don't carry the Egg anymore, you have to return the whole Egg for a refund and now you have no Egg.  Or you have to go to a dealer and pay for the firebox, which would have been free if bought from an authorized dealer in the first place.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited March 2012
    Options
    This is real easy, it's called corperate greed.  I've seen this in my business over the last ten years with companies cutting their distributor network out of the game.  I've seen it time and time again.  It will only be a matter of time when you can buy an egg off their website.  Trust me.  Distributors and dealers mean nothing to these graph reading douche bags.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    It's not a huge deal, warranty wise, because you will get your money back. But it will be a hassle because the entire egg would need to be returned. If they have no more eggs, you'll have to find a dealer and buy another. Eventually you may have to pay the msrp, so why go through the pain.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    Possible scenario:
    Since the ceramic parts are made in Mexico and we are running low on honesty and policemen, truck do get hijacked and stolen. My only doubt is, if Costco is offering with the Nest and the Nest is not made in Mexico. Then it only means BGE inc is lying or Merchandise is being stolen in the USA, and marketed via ghost companies. Any of this scenarios can also be answered by the spoke person, but not in their best interest. It is true and I'm a firm believer that supporting dealers are what this economy needs to jumpstart again, but a good deal is a good deal any day of the week and twice on BBQ sunday!!!!  :)

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I agree.  It is a great opportunity for someone to get a egg risk free.  So long as that buyer approaches the costco egg purchase like a lease.  You can choose to buy it out (ie purchase your own fire box or parts when/if they break) or you can trade it in for a new one/walk away (return for refund).
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Possible scenario:
    Since the ceramic parts are made in Mexico and we are running low on honesty and policemen, truck do get hijacked and stolen. My only doubt is, if Costco is offering with the Nest and the Nest is not made in Mexico. Then it only means BGE inc is lying or Merchandise is being stolen in the USA, and marketed via ghost companies. Any of this scenarios can also be answered by the spoke person, but not in their best interest. It is true and I'm a firm believer that supporting dealers are what this economy needs to jumpstart again, but a good deal is a good deal any day of the week and twice on BBQ sunday!!!!  :)

Felipe
    Did you just watch The Fast and the Furious? :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited March 2012
    Options

A BGE  is a BGE. If I were to buy one from Costco, I would expect the mothership to replace any lifetime warranted parts at no cost, plus I would pay any shipping and packaging charges to my house. I would NOT expect a dealer to service me and eat those costs. I find it interesting that the registration includes membership clubs and internet sales as options of where you bought buy the BGE.

I am tempted to get a serial number off one at costco and submit a registration and see what happens before I were to buy one.

To me the life time warrantee is on of the reasons why i purchased the BGE. the likely hood of a base cracking is probably very rare, but occasionaly you see a picture of one.

I read their warrantee terms that you can click to, and it seemed that membership clubs were not an exclusion, I may be wrong, I have been in the past and will in the future.

As far as supporting local businesses, Costco employs many local people and serves the community well.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    @whiz...
    there's never been (on this forum, or the other)  a member whose posts were taken as the official BGE response.  we've had people who worked for BGE, posting their own opinions, and probably posting what they understand to be policy, but they also used to post casually and conversationally.  there's never been a member whose response constituted the official 'word of god' .

their needs to be a no-bullsh!t entity who is clearly the voice of BGE on the forum.  their not having one means they don't want one.  once it's posted here, it becomes 'forever', and that's maybe prudent to avoid hanging themselves with their own rope. 

they are less responsive than they used to be, because they are more guarded and corporate. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Stike, of course you are right.  The person I was alluding to wasn't "official".  
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The day BGE started to put on ties in the office we ventured into a new world. It's the ties damnit.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    he posted the other day on the so-called 'not as original as it used to be' forum. haven't seen him post in a while. good guy

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mickey, I think you may be on to something.  :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    @stike, you mean MY forum?  :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I was at my local Costco yesterday picking up a few pies and guess what I saw? Yep a stack of Medium Eggs. The fit will eventially hit the shan...Seems to be a lot out there for the mothership not to know. %-(
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Mickey
    Options
    Has anyone thought of this: The Medium is the least sold of all eggs. Maybe the built/onhand supply got "out of hand" and this was a way to dump lots of Medium Eggs fast. Medium Egg owners please do not get upset, I am not saying anything bad on the Medium except it is slower seller than other size.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stilllaughing
    Options

@stevesails. I don't believe for one second that the mothership is going to help anybody with warranty on a COSTCO BGE. Many manufacturers made their name brand items for sale at many locations but also re-tagged the same item under a different name for Sears. The warranty was different for the same product depending on where you bought it.

I believe that BGE is in fact distributing through COSTCO. Considering that COSTCO is a very reputable company and they're popping up everywhere at the same time there is no way this is the work of a rogue entity.

But I also believe that the cheaper price comes from buying massive quantities and BGE selling them "in leau of warranty" and COSTCO is picking up that slack. If I were a guessing man I'd think they'd like to get away from the lifetime warranty completely.

Does it screw over the dealers? Maybe. But it's also possible that you can lug your BGE back to COSTCO because of a firebox or gasket or you could be directed to a dealer to "purchase" those things instead.

And keep in mind that most unofficial denials popping up on forums are about the warranty, not the availability of the BGE at COSTCO. There would be few, if any manufacturers that would tell dealers ahead of time. Corporate greed? Hardly. It's just a big business now.

• The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 459
    Options
    as this thread has grown, we want to provide some input from corporate. however, as you can appreciate, we can't get drawn into answering every unfounded speculation about the company, other than to let you know that most of the opinions and hypothesis are inaccurate. the practice of discounters acquiring merchandise that they are not authorized to sell in order to generate some short-term interest is nothing new, and is certainly not limited to the BGE brand if the lawsuits over the years are any indication.

further, as you can also appreciate, since attorneys in several countries are working on this particular matter, we can't get into addressing or responding to everyone's questions on how it occurred other than to reiterate that in this instance an unauthorized reseller managed to get enough BGE products to release them in several cities. the products will not be covered under any BGE warranty, and from the looks of what we have seen in the stores, there is a likelihood that some of the products may already be damaged by mishandling or mis-assembly.

we do want to acknowledge and say thanks to the posters who recognize the value of the small businessperson and independent dealer. whether it is BGE, Stihl tools, Apple computer and many, many products in between, the authorized dealer network is the key to a happy customer. To suggest that we are engineering some sort of end run ourselves is the most absurd form of speculation and really serves no purpose. BGE did not sell EGGs to a discount chain or any other unauthorized reseller. period. and we don't offload inventory - we can barely make enough EGGs to satisfy all our Authorized Dealers as it is!

by the way, the next time you walk into a discounter consider that some percentage of what is sitting there may have been acquired by fraudulent or improper means, and may represent a negative impact on an independent business owner in your community.

a few other items --
    the warranty area of the BGE website previously had a field for entering the name of a discount reseller or internet site.
    this was to enable us to identify these unauthorized resellers, and take action.
    the fields have been updated to make it clear that goods obtained from unauthorized resellers are not covered under warranty, as has been the case from day one, and to enable anyone who cares to assist BGE with information to do so by providing the name of the unauthorized reseller.

finally - yes, EGGzilla_Jr is posting on behalf of the company;
    you will not see ties worn in our offices;
    and you can be sure that everyone shares your common passion about the Big Green Egg!
    Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • billyray
    Options

On the up side for dealers the Medium Egg is probably one of the least popular sizes. If Costco sticks to only this size, it probably won't affect dealers to negatively. The exposure to the Egg to a lot of potential customers may drive them to dealers to find out more about the product and see all the other things a dealer has that go along with the Egg, especially different and more popular sizes. Costco won't be carrying these year round and I don't know if they even have lump.

I just wished we, as dealers, could get a deal where we didn't have to pay for the inventory when we received it, but paid after we sold the Egg and then were able to send what we didn't sell back to them on their dime!

• stilllaughing
    Options

billyray,

The COSTCO near me has medium and large BGE's.

• billyray
    Options
    So much for my theory, thanks Stilllaughing
  • Mickey
    Options
    Billyray we have to pay for these cars/trucks when we get them (we get 30 days, but that goes fast). And like you we do not get to send any back.....