Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Gasket the only Flaw?

Options
2»

Comments

• PowerRubSarge
    Options

The calibration nut is tight just like an instant read thermometer and should be able to handle being moved around. If the BGE Thermometer gets wet it will fog up on the inside; the kiss of death.  As a matter of fact I just found and ordered (2) Weber 9815 (Genesis) replacement thermometers from Amazon.  Grillparts.com has em too.

I have used them both over the years and IMHO the Weber 9815 is a way better thermometer.  Just sayin'.

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited February 2012
    Options
    How difficult is it to remove the OEM gasket?

It is best done when egg is apart, gasket facing up.  It is also easiest done on a fresh felt gasket.  This is what I do on new eggs as I am putting them together. 

Use a sponge, or a small squirt bottle, and soak the OEM felt gasket liberally with acetone. Acetone won't harm the finish on the egg, the bands, or the ceramic inside.  Let it soak in a few minutes, even adding more acetone if it seems like it might be drying.  You want to get as much acentone into the gasket as you can without too much leaking down the sides of the egg. 

The idea here is you are using the felt gasket like a sponge to get the acetone to melt the glue.

After about 5 minutes of soaking, do a test by lifting the gasket.  It should come off like it was never even glued on.  If not, add more acetone and more time soaking.  Once it is off, you can just clean up any glue residue with the same acetone.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Has anyone tried pre-shrinking the replacement gasket in the dryer like Fred Bernardo suggest (fredsmusicandbbq)? I first read/watched his video re: replacing the gasket because I am a visual learner.and like watching my tasks before I do them. I have since been reading on the forum about replacing them and I have yet to hear of anyone else saying they do that.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options

The calibration nut is tight just like an instant read thermometer and should be able to handle being moved around. If the BGE Thermometer gets wet it will fog up on the inside; the kiss of death.  As a matter of fact I just found and ordered (2) Weber 9815 (Genesis) replacement thermometers from Amazon.  Grillparts.com has em too.

I have used them both over the years and IMHO the Weber 9815 is a way better thermometer.  Just sayin'.

My egg is kept out uncovered in rain, snow, ice, etc...and have zero fog (condensation) on the thermometer and has remained calibrated.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    my original BGE thermo lasted 6 years or so until i bent it, making it hard to remove. 
    it held up fine.

you can get a replacement thru "tel-tru"

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PowerRubSarge
    PowerRubSarge Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    Options

That's interesting because the BGE OEM Thermometers I have purchased are clearly not watertight or very water resistant.  I would only leave mine outside while cooking.   Maybe they are making them waterproof now.  One could only hope.

The BGE Thermometer retails for around $25.00.  You can get the Weber 9815’s for $10-15 bucks.  Here is one at Amazon which includes free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U9VF/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details  The reviews are very favorable. Some claim their thermometers have lasted 20 years.

If your BGE OEM Thermometer is working for you then there is no need to change.  However, the Weber 9815 is an excellent weather resistant dual use alternative which can also be used as a meat thermometer.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    i would also add the high que grate to a list of the must haves. I can already hear the haters saying no, but i've determined that no matter how much care i spent building my fire, it was less likely to clog or put itself out with the high que. That really matters towards the last couple hours of a 20 hour cook.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    apologies for the repost, not sure how that happened
  • scooter759
    Options
    My OEM burned up during the second month after getting the LG. I got distracted after lighting the egg and it was a windy day...lid open, as soon as the fire took off it licked over the gasket and thats all she wrote. I replaced with a Nomex and am obviously more attentive while starting it up. Based on my experience in removal of old gasket and installing the new one lends me to recommend installing a high temp initially. Replacing the lower portion wasn't so bad, but the top portion with the lid open was quite a bit more challenging and time consuming.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • geormil
    Options
    Have had my large for about 5 years and have never had to replace the gasket and have cooked low to 600 and above and never had a problem!
  • dunnharr
    Options
    Is the new High Heat gasket showing up on the BGE website a Nomex?
  • bge30plus
    Options
    My therm is broke and has been for years. Most of the time if grilling I do really care as long as it very hot. Smoking I use an electric pit therm.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    No flaws...I have had two eggs and I've only replaced one gasket in 3 years - and the replacement on my large has been on for a year and a half and looks as good as new. FWIW - its was a OEM gasket that I used for the replacement.
  • mustgrill
    Options
    I have not had mine a month yet. So far no flaws. Though the things I have read must not be very many. Maybe the heat gauge? I can't spell thermonoter?
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • The Buffster
    Options
    I've had an Large BGE for 12 years. I replaced the gasket after 3 years of heavy use. After 6 or 7 years, I realized the gasket wasn't really a big deal. I have a crusty black 9 year old gasket on my egg. I haven't noticed a difference in performance, even on the long cooks.
  • mustgrill
    Options
    I have wanted the BGE I just thought it wa not for me? Was I wrong? I have spent so much on other cookers but by far this one is the best. Money is not it, I have a horizon offset, the best you can get. The patio version, 3600.00. Yes, the BGE cooks as good at half the price. It just does not cook as much, well so what.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • losttree
    losttree Posts: 23
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I've had my egg for 3 months and replaced my gasket with Nomex a couple of days ago.  I scorched it on my first pizza cook/high-temp screwup which was my second cook.  I did throw the gasket in the dryer but didn't bother to measure before and after.  Naked Whiz's paint remover tool suggestion was really helpful.

After installing my nomex gasket though I'm thinking (utter speculation) that its less of a cost issue for BGE and more of an aesthetics issue on the showroom floor.  The nomex gasket is such a bright white between the black bands that I think it looks like it is eating an Oreo when closed and like a Muppet with pearly white teeth when opened.  Lest anyone take offense at this, I should note that I love both Oreo Cookies and Muppets.

Adam
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    My gasket burned off and I have not replaced it. I don't miss it at all. If I was going to replace it, I would suggest doing it when the egg is new and not put together yet. I think the Rutland and Nomex gaskets are popular. 
    Travis,
    Without the gasket, have you experienced any problems with remote thermometers?  I assumed the gasket may protect the wires by "softening the impact" of weight of egg on wires.  What say you?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Absoultly none. I have an Oregon Scientific remote thermo and the probe wire has no prob  with no gasket.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • PowerRubSarge
    Options
    The BGE Thermo in the picture used to work fine, however, even after a couple boiling water calibrations it's 20+ degrees off at best.  I have two Weber thermometers ready to go; they both tested out right on the 212f mark.  I use cork as a spacer and mount it with a little dab of Marine Goop.  The cork also strengthens the upper part of the shaft where it meets the dial.

Where do you guys get the "hi que grates" ?  Do they last as long as the iron "trivit" types?

Anybody going to May 5th Cinco De Egg-O Waldorf Eggfest 2012 at Waldorf?

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options

I'm not sure I would call it a flaw.  Most of us burn them off by doing something like running up the temps when the eggs are new, etc.   Personally, I think it is the ONLY thing you probably ever have to concern yourself with other than knocking it over on the concrete (been there).  

You'll get a lot of feedback on this question but here's my thought and experience for what it's worth. 

The first thing to do is get your egg!  Follow the instructions to do lower temperature cooks for a few times before you fire up a full trex or pizza temp cook.  This allows the thing to settle in.

However, if you DO burn it off, I, like many others went two years without my gasket being replaced.  Then I spent a day replacing it and frankly, I think I'll NEVER do that again.  What I got for my efforts was more trouble controlling temperatures, constant alignment of the lid and dollar bill testing and I still use more lump than I did without a gasket.  However I do a LOT of full flame lid up cooking so it isn't that big a deal and I never do overnight cooks so temp control isn't as critical for me personally. 

Don't get me wrong, go for it...but if you burn it off, don't rush out and replace it, give it a try without...my two cents ONLY. 

Keep On Eggin

Tony

Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • JMSetzler
    Options

I'm not sure I would call it a flaw.  Most of us burn them off by doing something like running up the temps when the eggs are new, etc.   Personally, I think it is the ONLY thing you probably ever have to concern yourself with other than knocking it over on the concrete (been there).  

You'll get a lot of feedback on this question but here's my thought and experience for what it's worth. 

The first thing to do is get your egg!  Follow the instructions to do lower temperature cooks for a few times before you fire up a full trex or pizza temp cook.  This allows the thing to settle in.

However, if you DO burn it off, I, like many others went two years without my gasket being replaced.  Then I spent a day replacing it and frankly, I think I'll NEVER do that again.  What I got for my efforts was more trouble controlling temperatures, constant alignment of the lid and dollar bill testing and I still use more lump than I did without a gasket.  However I do a LOT of full flame lid up cooking so it isn't that big a deal and I never do overnight cooks so temp control isn't as critical for me personally. 

Don't get me wrong, go for it...but if you burn it off, don't rush out and replace it, give it a try without...my two cents ONLY. 

Keep On Eggin

Tony

Thanks for this... I think I'll probably go this route.  I'll at least run several long lower temp cooks on the egg before I make pizza on it.  Pizza and bread are two of the main reasons I want the egg though. 

When I get this egg, I'll probably treat it like each of my other cookers and load it up with charcoal and run it in a 'test' mode for a day to make sure I'm comfortable with temperature control to start with.  I might toss on a fattie or something throughout the course of the day, but I like to learn the personality of the smoker before I actually use it.  I did this with my WSM, drum smoker, and my mini WSM before I cooked anything on them, and it's a worthwhile effort to become 'friends' with the hardware before you ask too much of it! 

PS - your blog looks great... I added it to the side links on my own blog... keep up the good work!
  • dunnharr
    dunnharr Posts: 45
    Options
    Is the new High Heat gasket showing up on the BGE website a Nomex?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, you can tell it's a hot spot no matter where you stand on it. 54 comments in 30 minutes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

Well, you can tell it's a hot spot no matter where you stand on it. 54 comments in 30 minutes.
    Gasket...always hot-but the bulk were over a couple of days in Feb-doesn't diminish the issue...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ah. Didn't see all that on my iPhone. Just popped up for me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I've had my LBGE for 15 years and I just replaced the gasket this summer.  Maybe back then they were made better.

I put on the Rutland (lower bowl only) and it has been good thru several pizzas and a burnout.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Duganboy-15 years-I'm sure you are in the very top-tier of BGE eggsperienced owners here.  Don't know how you got 15 on the OEM gasket-but good for you.  BTW-keep searchin' for that brisket:)  And as hot as it is-it may be bourbon time-but then I would be in for a very short day...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Thanks Lou. I posted earlier that although I owned the egg for 15 years I never spent much time on their website and didn't even know this forum existed.

I've learned a lot in a short time on here, but I didn't know about all these different accessories and I've been buying the hell out of them since I joined.

I bought a brisket at WallyWorld and I'm going to do it tomorrow.  It looked good, was limber and according to their website, they do sell choice beef.  Will let everyone know.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Don't think they still use BGE brand thermometer any more. Bought my egg last Oct and it has a tel-tru on it.
    Eggo in N. MS