Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3hr. 15min. Turbo Butt plus cooler time

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just did a 4.5lb Boston Butt at 350 Turbo Style. Butt Rub last night and pecan chunks on the fire.

At 2hr 17min to hit 160 and double foil.  At 3hr. 15min.(total cooking time) to 195 and into the cooler for 1hour plus. This was as good as any I have had, the bark was not as thick but very adequate. The food was outstanding and from now own no need for overnight cooks for me. That bag of ONO must have been in my garage for years.

imageimageimageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Wow. Looks good. I have to say, you're kinda taking the wind out of my sails by proving all my 14 hr cooks pointless :)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Grasshopper we need to talk :@)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey,

I don't carry a driver in my golf bag because I can't hit it. While golfing with a Scottish friend a few years ago who had an oversized driver and had hooked and sliced all over the course I suggested he maybe hit his three wood. He replied "Anyone can hit a three wood..it's like f___king cheating." Just sayin. Send me your address again.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey, Howd ya like the Ono lump?
    LET'S EAT
  • Steve, I just played 18 in this crap frozen Dallas weather. I didnt lose a single ball. Do you know the reason I didnt lose my balls? It's because I sold my driver 2 years ago. 

Here's to cheating
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mature people drive me nuts...

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Travis,

Least you could get on a course. Be May before they open here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    My Dad bought a new driver a few years back and told me he could hit it 20 yards further than his old one. I told him that's not gonna be good. He asked what do you mean? I said that just means you will be 20 yards further in the woods, gonna be harder to get back to the fairway.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey, Howd ya like the Ono lump?

Remember now why I did not buy that third bag. It is fine, just not better than Ozark Oak or BGE(Royal). Just a lot cooler bag.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    No real need to cooler unless it's done early.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I purchased a 4.8# this weekend and followed Mickey's instructions.  The total time was a little under 5 hours including foil time in the microwave. (Stike, it was finished before I had completed my inventory count). WOW it is good.  We pulled some and thick sliced some into steaks.  I saved the fat cap and will use it tomorrow to make carnets.  The steaks will be reheated and served on sunday.  Thanks Mickey this recipe/method rocks
    On the egg Rubbed with C&S All Purpose 2 chunks of apple wood midway thru slathered with apple juice
    We dug in and started pulling before I remembered to get the camera

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Do you put anything in the foil when you wrap the butt? Apple juice? Or just take off at 160 and wrap in foil with nothing added?
  • Mickey
    No real need to cooler unless it's done early.

Pghegger said:
    Do you put anything in the foil when you wrap the butt? Apple juice? Or just take off at 160 and wrap in foil with nothing added?

Nothing added. I am told by several the foil is not needed. I just do.

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Wow old thread but great find :)

Makes me want to try it.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @fredflinstone will chew your ass out for bringing up an old thread.. Hunt you down and gut you like a hog.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Ye hath invoked the wrath of Fred.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Going to try this tomorrow? Two last questions Indirect with platesetter legs up or down? How long does it need to sit in the cooler before pulling? Thanks!!
  • Mickey
    Pghegger said:
    Going to try this tomorrow? Two last questions Indirect with platesetter legs up or down? How long does it need to sit in the cooler before pulling? Thanks!!

I use an adj rig over platesetter. But I can tell you it needs zero cooler. The cooler (IMO) is to hold it till eating time.

• Foghorn
    Platesetter legs up. And foil is optional. The best butt I've ever done never saw foil and was cooked at 350 the whole time.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• How long did that take you @foghorn ?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Foghorn

@Dragonwmatches, I don't remember exactly.  It was 2 butts that each weighed 7 or 8 pounds.  As I recall I put it on about 8 AM for a party that started at 4 PM to give myself up to an hour per pound.  The smaller one came off in time for us to taste it for lunch (around 4 or 4.5 hours) and then FTC it.  I think the larger one took about 30 minutes longer.  So, if I were planning it again, I would do it exactly the same.  Give myself 1 hour per pound, but recognize that at 350 it will probably be done in 30 - 40 minutes per pound and get a good couple of hours in the FTC.

I took some leftovers to work and had some co-workers who have pretty sophisticated BBQ palates tell me stuff like "Wow, that is the best BBQ of any kind that I have ever tasted."  It was rubbed with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk and had no sauce on it.

San Antonio, TX

• Nice. I'll try that next time. Tried it overnight Friday/yesterday and woke up to my fire dying out. The overnight cook is interesting, a little exciting and concerning all at once. I like much more being able to monitor the temps along the way, but when I'm sleeping I'm sleeping, and I'm not setting any temp alarms!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'