Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WalMart may not carry Royal Oak Charcoal any longer?

rbm4017
rbm4017 Posts: 25
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I went to my local WalMart today to purchase more Royal Oak Charcoal and they were out!  They still have the product on their website but it is not avaliable for purchase, etc.  I think they may being a partnership with Bayou Classic Lump.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    They are looking for Chinese charcoal.

Gerhard ;)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    This happens every year they don't stock it in the winter in certain areas. It will come back.
  • I assume you mean Royal Oak.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I went looking for it 2 days ago.  No Royal Oak in our local Walmart.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Chinese charcoal made from bonsai trees
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Check out Naked Whiz web site. RO makes lump for many other retailers. I buy Best Choice lump made by RO.  It's carried by many independent grocers.

Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • My local Walmart (Houston) doesn't have RO anymore either.  I've been having to buy Cowboy at Loews.  I was hoping they just wanted more room for Christmas stuff, but they have restocked the Kingsford, so I'm concerned also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Seems like the RO syndrome happens every winter at my local WW. I picked up a couple of bags yesterday and if they are going to discontinue the brand I'll go get more today. They had about 20 bags on the shelf but none outside in their storage area.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • rbm4017
    rbm4017 Posts: 25
    I assume you mean Royal Oak.

Yes, Royal Oak.  I corrected my post :-)

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Does anyone know for sure if this is a seasonal issue or is walmart going to change brands ?
    I just found a walmart with a fair amount inside. I bought 4 bags , but if they are going to stop carrying it I could stock up.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    All depends on where you live. The general policy is if there is snow there is no outdoor cooking, hence no need for lump. Not here in the bay area, Royal Oak all year.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I was in a local Walmart today and they had 6 bags of royal oak. I agree that it slims down in the winter and restocks in the spring. Based on sales history, your individual store may limit stock or eliminate it all together
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    I went to a Do It Center hardware store and you can order the Royal Oak in the bigger bags and pick it up at the store with no shipping cost.
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    I was in a local Walmart today and they had 6 bags of royal oak. I agree that it slims down in the winter and restocks in the spring. Based on sales history, your individual store may limit stock or eliminate it all together

Hey, gator  the Royal Oak  17.6 lb bag sells for less than 12 bucks at Starr Market on Bailey Cove and they have it all the time. Thanks for talking me out of selling my BGE. The pellet grill is great for some things but for most the Egg wins.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271

I live in Orlando and can't find any Royal Oak

Any suggestions?

• Dan4BBQ

Any suggestions?

• Crimsongator

Hey, gator  the Royal Oak  17.6 lb bag sells for less than 12 bucks at Starr Market on Bailey Cove and they have it all the time. Thanks for talking me out of selling my BGE. The pellet grill is great for some things but for most the Egg wins.

Glad to hear you are still sticking with the egg. I don't get that far south too ofen but need to check out that Star Mkt. I usually get to the one at 5 points and they seem to carry more Cowboy Lump. Heath and I are doing a few more contests again this year. come see us at the end of February. We will be cooking at Gurley in the cookoff that supports the Rec center.
  • Crimsongator

Any suggestions?

Have you tried the Publix brand lump?
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    We used Publix brand ONCE. Very strong smoke smell and left the same nas taste on the food. Threw it away and it took a while before the smell left the egg. We are now afraid to try anything else.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • @gerhardz....Good one!

they may have moved it....I was in Our Super WM and I was looking for it out at the Garden Center...with ALL the other grilling stuff......had to ask....it was over in the grocery section.....had 20 or 30 bags over there.

• I live in Orlando and can't find any Royal Oak

Any suggestions?

I live in Orlando near Universal Studios and picked up 4 bags at the Kirkman Walmart last month. If they are out now that's news to me. I would say call them, but we all know how effective that is with Walmart...
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Crimsongator
    We used Publix brand ONCE. Very strong smoke smell and left the same nas taste on the food. Threw it away and it took a while before the smell left the egg. We are now afraid to try anything else.

I am sorry to hear that. I have always had good luck with it.
  • Crimsongator
    Here is another thought if RO is hard to find. ask you dealer if they can order Ozark Oak through their distributor. That's good stuff too
  • Dan4BBQ
    Thanks guys---I'm on the hunt for RO
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    I bought some lump from H.E.B and used it on a 14 hour cook.  I was pleased with the size of the pieces and the lack of charcoal dust and powder.   It is an HEB brand, mesquite charcoal.   Might be worth giving it a try.
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78

Glad to hear you are still sticking with the egg. I don't get that far south too ofen but need to check out that Star Mkt. I usually get to the one at 5 points and they seem to carry more Cowboy Lump. Heath and I are doing a few more contests again this year. come see us at the end of February. We will be cooking at Gurley in the cookoff that supports the Rec center.
    Give me the date and time and i will be there.Send e mail. I think it's on my profile.
  • I get my lump from a farmer's co-op at a very good price. I've found that if they sell or re-fill the small propane tanks used in bbq pits they also sell lump.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Where is the co-op located?

What brand of lump and what is the price?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    grannyX:  sounds like you maybe didn't let it burn long enough (clean) before putting on the food
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • There are farmer's co-ops (aka feed & seed stores) all over the country. The one close to me is just outside of St Louis. The brand I use is Fire King but the price just jumped quite a bit when Royal Oak bought them recently. I was paying $16 for 40lbs but now it's up to $21 for the 40lb bag.